Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2014 3:58:19 PM EDT
Anybody ever ferment kimchi with beets?

Not the "toss some cooked beats with vinegar and spices" kimchi.

I am talking about a jar of fermented beets made like real kimchi or sauerkraut.

One question.  Do you cook or blanch the beets first?  Or just chop them and ferment them?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Anybody ever ferment kimchi with beets?

View Quote

Not the "toss some cooked beats with vinegar and spices" kimchi.

I am talking about a jar of fermented beets made like real kimchi or sauerkraut.

One question.  Do you cook or blanch the beets first?  Or just chop them and ferment them?

Let me qualify this by saying - I dislike beets LOL BUT - once in a while my mom would use them in making a 'limited batch' kimchi. She always partially cooked them before putting them in with cabbage or radish, etc. She said otherwise they were just too hard. My mom steamed them, I think.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Great thanks!  That's sort of what I was thinking was the case.

I am going to have a live culture to start so steaming shouldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#3]
If you don't want to cook them, you could try grating them in a food processor to increase surface area.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you don't want to cook them, you could try grating them in a food processor to increase surface area.

View Quote

You could - but my mom (and her various friends) have tried it before and it doesn't ferment right / well and I don't know why ... YMMV :o) ... Shredded radish? No problem. Shredded beet? Problem. *shrugs*

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Great thanks!  That's sort of what I was thinking was the case.

View Quote

I am going to have a live culture to start so steaming shouldn't hurt.

Just steam them about half cooked, RR - that's how my mom always did it and she made fantastic kimchi of all kinds. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You could - but my mom (and her various friends) have tried it before and it doesn't ferment right / well and I don't know why ... YMMV :o) ... Shredded radish? No problem. Shredded beet? Problem. *shrugs*

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does it do that's wrong?  Go mushy or something?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No - not mushy ... Because of the amount of sugar in beets it affects the fermentation process so it ends up tasting weird. And I mean weird. Almost like alcholic kimchi (which I know may not be a bad thing :P ) but not quite - it's hard to describe, but man - it was off.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No - not mushy ... Because of the amount of sugar in beets it affects the fermentation process so it ends up tasting weird. And I mean weird. Almost like alcholic kimchi (which I know may not be a bad thing :P ) but not quite - it's hard to describe, but man - it was off.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A home grown spicy martini......Hmmmmmm  This idea has potential.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:12:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One jar kimchi with shredded beets beets - aka home grown spicy martini + one jar sweet rice water ... mix the two together and have a little bit of sweet hot :o)

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Never had kimchi until several years ago. Somehow the thought of eating something that had fermented underground was revolting.

I was hooked on the first taste.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:22:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Never had kimchi until several years ago. Somehow the thought of eating something that had fermented underground was revolting.

I was hooked on the first taste.
View Quote

LOL Don't understand why - not one bit - season some cabbage or radish - jar it up - stick it in the ground for three months - sounds fantastic!  My husband reacted the same way you did to Kimchi and he's a somewhat adventurous eater - when he tasted it, that was it - he was hooked on almost all kinds (his favorite is Mumallaengi Muchim - basically dried radish kimchi).

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#12]
The more green oniony stuff in kimchi the happier I am.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

Well, honey just get yourself some green onion kimchi and happiness will be with you forever

I flipping hate greens onions, but I learned a long time ago that I cannot cook without them - you ever tried cooking bulgogi without green onions? Does not taste the same - don't do it, man

Link Posted: 9/24/2014 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well, honey just get yourself some green onion kimchi and happiness will be with you forever

I flipping hate greens onions, but I learned a long time ago that I cannot cook without them - you ever tried cooking bulgogi without green onions? Does not taste the same - don't do it, man

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Them green onions are great.  It'sjust that the ladies run for the hills from the smell later!
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:48:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Them green onions are great.  It'sjust that the ladies run for the hills from the smell later!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well yeah - there is that ... wait - not Korean ladies! LOL

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Well it's in the jar.  Steamed the beats for about 20 minutes in an electric steamer then let them cool on the counter for about two hours.  The insides were just getting tender and the skin was easy to cut off.

Mixed with salt, water, cabbage and a bit of starter from some sauerkraut.

15 minutes in and already getting positive pressure on the airlock.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a good point!
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well it's in the jar.  Steamed the beats for about 20 minutes in an electric steamer then let them cool on the counter for about two hours.  The insides were just getting tender and the skin was easy to cut off.

Mixed with salt, water, cabbage and a bit of starter from some sauerkraut.

15 minutes in and already getting positive pressure on the airlock.
View Quote

Billions of happy little minions digging into the beets...  
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:08:31 PM EDT
[#19]
wow, never heard of kimchi with beets....... slobber...........
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#20]
It's coming along nicely.

There is still quite a bit of beat-y flavor and the sweetness is down quite a bit. It still doesn't have a zing like it should, but it's definitely on the "tastes like odd sauerkraut" flavor spectrum with a little metallic aftertaste. (I think that is the fact that there is no garlic or onion in it, so the salt and sweet don't "meet in the middle" so well.)

On second thought, it probably should be "beet kraut" not "beet kimchi" since the onions, garlic, and fish sauce aren't in it.

I am a bit unhappy with the cabbage / beet ratio though, I should have left the cabbage out or gone more like 20% beets / 80% cabbage.

Going to let it go another three days at least.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There is still quite a bit of beat-y flavor and the sweetness is down quite a bit. It still doesn't have a zing like it should, but it's definitely on the "tastes like odd sauerkraut" flavor spectrum with a little metallic aftertaste. (I think that is the fact that there is no garlic or onion in it, so the salt and sweet don't "meet in the middle" so well.)

On second thought, it probably should be "beet kraut" not "beet kimchi" since the onions, garlic, and fish sauce aren't in it.

I am a bit unhappy with the cabbage / beet ratio though, I should have left the cabbage out or gone more like 20% beets / 80% cabbage.

View Quote

This is inspiring me.  I may have to seek out a new kimchi pot and crank out a batch.  Should be able to piss off the whole marina if I leave it to work in the sun on the back deck.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

Dude - how can you make kimchi without garlic?

What is the beet / cabbage ratio you have in there? (I was picturing 30/70 at most, but that's because of how my mom did it - no tunnel vision here LOL) - How is it coming along / did it turn out?

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:26:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Lots of good beet flavor. Needs a tiny bit more salt. Texture is still crunchy and fresh.  A little bit sweet.

I drank some of the juice as a flavoring for some gin this afternoon, which was interesting. Purple gin.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top