Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2014 3:53:37 PM EDT
What's your favorite duck recipe?  Preferably something with crispy greasy salty skin that will give you a heart attack from 6 feet away.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Peking?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Roasted on a rotisserie, covered in orange juice!
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:27:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Peking?
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:50:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Marinate breasts in favorite marinade.  I use soy sauce and olive oil.  Grill to med rare with your fav grilling salts.

If you want a bit fancier, same thing except pan fry instead of grill.  Deglaze pan with a splash of red wine, stir in a bit of raspberry / currant jelly. Use wine and jelly reduction as a sauce over breasts.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:54:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Duck and Sausage gumbo. If you're interested I'll type up the recipe, its pretty long.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:21:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I've never had duck, so I don't really have anything to add here, but I will say that if you have a duck in your freezer that wants *anything*.. you have bigger problems than deciding on how to cook it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've never had duck, so I don't really have anything to add here, but I will say that if you have a duck in your freezer that wants *anything*.. you have bigger problems than deciding on how to cook it.
View Quote

All ducks want to be eaten.  Even after they're plucked and frozen.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:42:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I know duck breast is dark meat due to being migratory, would frying it be akin to frying up some chicken thighs?
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I do a ton of duck hunting, mainly down here in Louisiana.

I usually cook it like every other flying animal in LA. Soak in brine, then italian dressing. Cream cheese with jalapeño chopped up on cut side, then wrap in lightly cooked fatty bacon. Tonys on the outside, then grill.

Usually gets me laid its so good. Cooked dove last night actually.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I do a ton of duck hunting, mainly down here in Louisiana.

I usually cook it like every other flying animal in LA. Soak in brine, then italian dressing. Cream cheese with jalapeño chopped up on cut side, then wrap in lightly cooked fatty bacon. Tonys on the outside, then grill.

Usually gets me laid its so good. Cooked dove last night actually.
View Quote

Mulate's has a great duck dinner in cajun country. Duck and sausage gumbo is good also.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a long drawn out recipe that calls for disjointing the duck, deboning the breast meat, making a stock out of the bones and reducing it down to a Glace or cutting it with Glace de Viande. Searing the meat in a skillet brown and finish in the oven, deglasing pan with Port, adding Glace, blk current jelly and finishing with whole butter. STT.

It is so good it will give you a boner.

Oh, if you want to use the extra fat render the skin  in a rondeau or use a slow cooker filter the rendered fat, mix with clarified butter and canola oil (to raise smoke point) and saute vegtables in it.   Once the skin is crisp, salt it and eat-dont share lol.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm of the considered opinion that the purpose of most birds is to produce and preserve the most awesome tasting skin in the animal kingdom, so I would normally use a trumpet rack and roast the bird upright to let the fat drain away and the skin crisp up to salty garlicy crunchy perfection, (yeah with meat inside, but the skin is the main point).  

My boat has a tiny little oven though, and I can't fit a duck on a trumpet rack in it.  Pretty much nothing longer than cornish game hens will fit due to the height restriction.  

I'm thinking that cutting it up might be best.  Then I can slow cook it in its own fat with some rosemary and garlic in the oven before crisping the skin in a skillet on the stove top.  

A plan I have.  A dinner pic, forthcoming will be.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top