Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2014 8:00:44 PM EDT
I have a four pound rib roast I'm gonna put on the smoker at about 225. Does anyone have a guess as to how long it will take to reach 120 internal temp?
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The die hard smoker's will be along shortly, not I...  They'll need your start temp, straight out of the fridge or room temp?
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:27:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Out of fridge
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Is it 'bone-on' or have the bones been removed. If so, were they tied back on?

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Bone on standing rib roast
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:14:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm gonna guess a minimum of 4 hours to get the center to that temp using 220 degree smoke. Wet smoke vs. dry smoke makes a bit of difference too.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Using a WSM with a sand filled water pan. 4 hours is about what I was thinking but would hate to overcook a $80 junk of meat and want to to be ready when it's time to eat
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:26:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Using a WSM with a sand filled water pan. 4 hours is about what I was thinking but would hate to overcook a $80 junk of meat and want to to be ready when it's time to eat
View Quote

Once you hit the 3 hour mark, check it about every 20 minutes with your thermometer.

Given the relatively low temperature in the smoker, it's not like it will go from raw to charcoal in 20 minutes.

Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Can you guys explain this?  Is it for mass and do you add water to the sand?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 8:50:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

The sand is for thermal mass, helps stabilize the temps with out being the big waste of fuel/messy clean up that water is. cover sand with Tinfoil and toss Tinfoil at end of the cook.

Clint
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:47:01 AM EDT
[#10]
That's clever, will try it out the next time.

Thanks, Clint.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top