Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2014 6:57:49 PM EDT
I have successfully smoked a couple butts on my Masterbuilt.

Now looking to do a couple racks of ribs, and was going for a wet and dry rack.

What temps and times do y'all run, rubs?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]
225. Just like my pork butts and briskets.

ETA:  are you asking about internal temp?  Have to do it by feel as you won't get a good read with a probe.  But with ribs I do the 2-2-1 method.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:13:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I like to use a rib rack, 225F is the same grate temp that I use. Buy when I smoke I usually have the grate filled so the rack saves a ton of space. I like to buy the whole rib bulk packs then trim them down to Memphis style. I use the trimmings as riblets and general snacking if your ribs are minimally trimmed you can get several meals out of just the trimmings.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I was looking to run around 250 for 4 hours as an estimate.

I considered the 3-2-1 run.  But think I am leaning more towards the 4 hour 250 run.

Thanks for the rub, I'll make it tonight and rub one down.

What do y'all use for wet?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Join the club. I make my own but sometimes use Sweet Baby Rays is a good base. I like vinegar base sauce so I will cut it with cider add red pepper flake,  & cayenne. I make it thin as a finish mop.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:25:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I try to stay around 225 with ribs.  Internal temp is a hard thing to do with them, since the bone temp can influence what you read on the meat.  Grab a hold of them with some tongs and bend, if the meat cracks and tears, you're good.

Time, usually something like 5-6 hours for a slab of spare ribs or St. Louis cut, 3-4 hours for baby backs.

Rubs, I really like Meathead's Memphis Dust from Amazingribs.com:

3/4 cup of firmly packed brown sugar

3/4 cup of white sugar

1/2 cup of paprika

1/4 cup of garlic powder

2 tbsp each of fresh ground pepper, ginger powder, onion powder

2 tsp of ginger powder

This recipe used to have salt in it, but the creator took it out and recommends that you salt your ribs to your tastes, and I agree.  I usually go with a little vegetable oil on the slab, a couple heavy pinches of kosher salt, then the rub.
View Quote

I also use Meatheads Memphis Dust rub, I like it a lot.

And I also use the same times and temps as Quintin.

For wet sauce I make my own (mainly because I like it a bit more vinegary) but Sweet Baby Ray's (I like the Hickory & Brown Sugar) is also good for an off-the-shelf by itself or as a base.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top