Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2014 12:54:37 PM EDT

Looking to step up my game - the big green egg style of grill got almost a unanimous good review on here, but I'm sure there are other options as well out there.

Been looking at these ones:

The all-in-one specifically

Saw the thread on the deal at Sam's club the other day and it got me thinking.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Big Green Egg.  Best purchase I have made in the longest time.  I heard good things about the Primo so I don't think you can go wrong with that brand.

P.S.  What's the deal at Sam's Club?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:15:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the Big Green Egg.  Best purchase I have made in the longest time.  I heard good things about the Primo so I don't think you can go wrong with that brand.

P.S.  What's the deal at Sam's Club?
View Quote

Certain sam's clubs that carried BGE clones must be clearancing them for the end of the season. If you can find one that still has the grill they were $212 at some stores and $249 at others according to the thread. No stores local to me list them as a normal product. 1 store near my parents had one listed as "In store, $212, Out of stock" & most of them say "Online Only, $499, Out of Stock"

So if you can find a Sams that has one in-stock theres a good chance it's on season end closeout and going pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Primo XL and wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who asks. Primos are very nice and made in the USA. I also have a Kamado Joe (so I do have experience with a round Kamado cooker), but the ovals are much more versatile. What ever brand you decide on I would also recommend that, like a gun safe, you buy bigger than you think you will need. You can cook smaller on a big grill, you can't cook bigger on a small grill.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a Primo XL and wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who asks. Primos are very nice and made in the USA. I also have a Kamado Joe (so I do have experience with a round Kamado cooker), but the ovals are much more versatile. What ever brand you decide on I would also recommend that, like a gun safe, you buy bigger than you think you will need. You can cook smaller on a big grill, you can't cook bigger on a small grill.
View Quote

Yeah, they offer This one which looks good as well. Might be able to use the space better.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:07:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yeah, they offer This one which looks good as well. Might be able to use the space better.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. That's the one I have and if mine got broke tomorrow I would have a new one by the end of the week. The greatest advantage of the ovals is that you can easily cook direct and indirect at the same time or just cook on half the grill surface rather than having to use the whole thing. The firebox divider that Primo sells for the ovals is probably the best thing ever invented for a ceramic cooker.

Have you checked out the Primo Grill Forum yet?
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 12:08:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I have the Primo Oval XL and love it.  Probably no better or worse than a Big Green Egg but it is made in the USA.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:10:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Primo XL and JR owner here.....LOVE EM!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 1:11:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for Primo.  Had mine about a month now.  Love it.

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I own the Primo XL and the Kamado Joe.  Both grills are great.  Primo is made in the USA and does an outstanding job as a smoker, oven and a searing grill.  IMO the XL is a wiser
choice because of its generous grilling area.  You will also invest in some accessories as well.  I purchased the heat deflectors, firebox divider and the pizza stone 16".  There is a
learning curve to kamado cooking but with a little patience and online tutorials you will be cooking like a pro in no time.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Kamado Joe Classic for me--best present ever from the wife.

I looked at the primo's, I dint like their "nest/cart setup. few other things I was a fan of (The one I looked at the ceramic wasn't as "fine" (They feel crazing is ok, I think it looks like hell).. This is just my opinion. One of my wife's coworkers has a primo and loves it.

BGE are over priced, and have yet to upgrade anything. They have a cult following, I almost got one. But in the end I cancelled it and went Kamado Joe and am beyond happy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I looked at the primo's, I dint like their "nest/cart setup. few other things I was a fan of (The one I looked at the ceramic wasn't as "fine" (They feel crazing is ok, I think it looks like hell).. This is just my opinion. One of my wife's coworkers has a primo and loves it.

BGE are over priced, and have yet to upgrade anything. They have a cult following, I almost got one. But in the end I cancelled it and went Kamado Joe and am beyond happy.
View Quote

I built my own "nest" as none of the Kamado style grills have a great option in my opinion.  While I just used treated wood, I built my table for about $60.

The grill would look better if there were no crazing, but I understood all the ceramic grills had some to varying degrees.

I settled on Primo for a few reasons;  I like the oval shape.  It seems to make a lot more sense for the type of cooking I do.  It is made in the USA.  I wanted something different than everyone else.

I do not regret my decision.

I've got to start taking after pictures.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I built my own "nest" as none of the Kamado style grills have a great option in my opinion.  While I just used treated wood, I built my table for about $60.

The grill would look better if there were no crazing, but I understood all the ceramic grills had some to varying degrees.

I settled on Primo for a few reasons;  I like the oval shape.  It seems to make a lot more sense for the type of cooking I do.  It is made in the USA.  I wanted something different than everyone else.

http://i.imgur.com/A36a3Tu.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn.  I assume those are about 8 pounds each? I could never get three on my large Big Green Egg.  I would definitely consider going oval.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes, you are looking at 24 pounds of pork.  They cooked 13.5 hours.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:05:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Damn.  I assume those are about 8 pounds each? I could never get three on my large Big Green Egg.  I would definitely consider going oval.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a large BGE and have cooked 6 7lb boston butts at a time.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How in the world could you fit 42 pounds of pork on the grate?
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#16]

Bought a round grate and three stainless steel bolts, four on main and two on the upper.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:22:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s963.photobucket.com/user/JasonATI/media/light/IMAG0452.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae118/JasonATI/light/IMAG0452.jpg</a>

Bought a round grate and three stainless steel bolts, four on main and two on the upper.
View Quote

Impressive. Must be a bitch to add hardwood.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll fill it with Wicked Good lump with some apple and hickory chunks and that will run for about 23 hours at 235 degrees.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#19]
If you want to try the Kamado thing for a reasonable cost of entry, the Chargriller Akorn is a really good value even though it's not a ceramic grill. I cook on mine 4+ times per week. Low and slow and high temp searing are no problem at all.

And since people are posting pork butt pics, here's my Akorn just finishing up 30# of hickory smoked butt.

The fourth butt is hidden in the back.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:57:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If you want to try the Kamado thing for a reasonable cost of entry, the Chargriller Akorn is a really good value even though it's not a ceramic grill. I cook on mine 4+ times per week. Low and slow and high temp searing are no problem at all.

And since people are posting pork butt pics, here's my Akorn just finishing up 30# of hickory smoked butt.

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/179771_10201442245397525_1006941638_n.jpg?oh=0adbf1f51a86f48157abbfcfa39bef09&oe=54C6C5C5

View Quote
What he said. It's an affordable way to find out if a kamado-style grill is right for you.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/179771_10201442245397525_1006941638_n.jpg?oh=0adbf1f51a86f48157abbfcfa39bef09&oe=54C6C5C5

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top