Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2014 9:01:26 PM EDT
Looking to cook thai yellow curry and chicken satay for the gf tomorrow night.  There are a million recipes online, but was wondering if any arfcommers could recommend something that they tried before and liked.  I've cooked green curry and various other thai dishes before just fine, but these items are new territory.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I cooked Thai shrimp and yellow/greenish curry. It was good. I pulled the recipe down from food network website. Honestly it wasn't sweet enough for me but I still enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I've cooked Panang curry and discovered the first time that just coconut milk did not give the sweetness I remembered from the restaurant.   The 2nd time I used some coconut creme with the milk and was spot on.  I found the coconut creme in the Mexican food area of my local stores.  Just add enough to get the sweetness you like.  Also use some cilantro, it really sets off Thai foods.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I've generally found the recipes on this site to be really good, she (the author) tries to recreate authentic Thai flavors with American ingredients. She even tells you how to make cock sauce

http://shesimmers.com/

But you never make a dish for the first time for a guest, unless it really doesn't matter much if it turns out like crap.

ETA: Don't know if she has a curry recipe or not, haven't looked for one there.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 3:55:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's my recipe for peanut Satay sauce.

Decide if you want creamy or crunchy then get a medium jar!

Or better yet if your store does the fresh ground get a tub of that!

2 cans coconut milk (one as a reserve)
Fish sauce
Peanut butter
Palm or brown sugar
Red curry paste
Soy sauce
Oil (peanut or coconut prefered)

In med sauce pan over med heat

Add 2 Tblspns Peanut oil (substitution ok).

Then add 2 nice thick Tblspns of red curry paste

Stir until aromatic (about 3-5 mins).

Add 1-2 Tblspns of fish sauce.

Stir another min or two.

Add 2 table spoons of Palm or brown sugar.

Then

Add 1/2 can coconut milk.

Stir in the peanut butter until thick, but not over thick.

Add a splash or two of soya sauce

Very low simmer until you notice the oil separating from mixture
Be very careful it doesn't burn, stir occasionally
Slowly add remaining coconut milk until it forms up nice and creamy.

Remove from heat and cool awhile.

Will keep in jar in fridge for a  week or two.

Enjoy!

ETA:

A note on Thai cooking and curry in general! You have a give and take with all ingredients. Meaning! If you add x amount of salty you need to add a like amount of sweetness to balance it! Thais traditionally use palm sugar, but I have found brown works as a good replacement! Palm sugar can be found at just about any good asian market. I buy the lg dried pucks that come from the P.I., and grate what I need for the meal I'm cooking. Also with good SEA food only the freshest ingredients possible should be used. Most everything is a simple blending of layers that all work together in the end. Don't over think it, and keep it as simple as possible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top