Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2014 10:36:56 AM EDT
Bass Pro near me had This for sale at $99.97 plus I had a $25 gift card.  Waht should I smoke this weekend?
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Start with something easy like chicken or a pork butt. Stay away from a brisket until you figure out your smoker, unless you are ready to waste that money. Look up Myron Mixons cupcake chicken or Chris Lilly's pork butt.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Pork back or side ribs. Remove the membrain, add your favorite rub, set smoker at 225 F and let cook for 2 hours then wrap in tinfoil with a bit of sauce and go for another 2 hours then unwrap and go for 1 more hour. They will be hard to lift off the grill in one piece.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:56:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:03:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pork butt is always a good option.  Very easy, very forgiving, very delicious.

The thermometer on the door is not to be trusted.  Get a good digital thermometer, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Et-732-Remote-Smoker-Thermometer/dp/B004IMA718/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408589768&sr=8-1&keywords=maverick+et+732
View Quote

There's a new one out:  ET-733.  Much more reliable probes, bigger screen, and a longer range than the 732.  Little bit harder to program--that's the only downfall.

If you need a 733, give me a shout as I can get them at wholesale and they'll be warrantied (Amazon ones are not.)  Same goes for temp controllers, guess you don't need one of those with an electric smoker though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:10:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:28:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I have a remote Thermometer and a wired one for the inside temp.  I think i am going to smoke a pork loin for sammiches.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:27:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Start with something easy like chicken or a pork butt. Stay away from a brisket until you figure out your smoker, unless you are ready to waste that money. Look up Myron Mixons cupcake chicken or Chris Lilly's pork butt.
View Quote

Our first chicken was a beer can, only using lemonade, instead of beer. Rubbed the bird with fresh chopped garlic, olive oil , s&p  BAM  
. With out experimenting while you create, you end up with the same boring meal. YMMV

Chicken was put on smoker after preheat @ 325. When bird was close to temp we dropped down to smoke setting for 30 min. When doing thighs and legs we do a 30 min smoke prior to going to temp.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Pork loin was excellent!   We also made moink balls.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#9]
A pork butt should be one of the first things done in a new smoker, IMHO.  Easy, forgiving, and delicious
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:14:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Bass Pro near me had This for sale at $99.97 plus I had a $25 gift card.  Waht should I smoke this weekend?
View Quote
Smoke what ever you want on the weekend, but the day before (or morning of your first cook) you need to give the smoker a good 2-3 hour run with smoke to make sure everything works as advertised and to cure the smoker.  

Hope it works out for your needs.  Smoke on!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top