Posted: 8/16/2014 4:17:16 PM EDT
I dont want to make this this stuff again but I would like to have some on hand

anybody got a decent source
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:01:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Williams Sonoma.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 5:06:07 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.amazon.com/More-Than-Gourmet-Demi-glace-16-Ounce/dp/B0010OQQ2Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1408655021&sr=1-1&keywords=demi+glace

This works very well as a base or thickener for pan sauces.  I wouldn't use it by itself.

It is a bit expensive for a pound but it lasts a long time.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 10:11:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The stuff from Williams Sonoma is the best tasting one I've tried. It's ridiculously expensive but lasts a long time and a little goes a long way.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Demi Glace Gold is pretty good. I've used it as a base several times. I say as a base as while it is ok it reeks of Shoemaker. Reduce some burgandy and onions/shallots and maybe a few beef bones then add it to the Gold. Or deglaze a roasting plaque then add the gold.

Knorr Swiss is a last resort replacement. Pure shoemaker in a can.

The Gold is the best I've used, it ain't fresh but better than nothing. Syrupy, stick to you lips, good color.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I dont want to make this this stuff again but I would like to have some on hand
anybody got a decent source
View Quote

Knorr makes a passable product. Nothing is as good as real 'scratch-made' demi glace, but finding veal bones is tough and it takes a long time to roast the bones and reduce the stock over and over.

I always got complements using Knorr products.

ETA: Was out of the business before the product in the previous post (demi glace gold) was around. If it's better than Knorr, it's gonna be great.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah Knorr is ok Gold is leap and bounds better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top