Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2014 7:21:18 PM EDT
On a recent trip out West I bought a few bags of dried chili peppers. I knew I wouldn't be able to find things like them at home and they were pretty affordable. What are some good things to do with them?

What I bought:
Chilies (Mild, Medium & Hot)
Ancho Chilies
Pequine Peppers

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I hear in Texas they make a nice meat stew with them.

I'd make chili myself. I pretty much throw them in anything that isn't clearly identified as a nationality other than hispanic or American Southwest. If I come up with something out of the blue, it gets some peppers. Bored with meatloaf? It gets some peppers.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 11:32:18 PM EDT
[#2]
grind them into a powder and use it to add heat
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Chili oil is the answer

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/how-to-make-chili-oil-aka-liquid-fun-1571198858
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#4]
You can rehydrate them and use them for just about anything.   They are great for sauces, soups, marinades.

If you have a vitamix you can throw one in your soup mix or smoothie or whatever.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
grind them into a powder and use it to add heat
View Quote

This.

Remove the stems and toss them in a coffee/spice grinder. Save it in an old spice jar and sprinkle it on anything that could use extra heat.

Good stuff!!!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#6]
As mentioned, they are great in Chili.
I use them when I make a recipe that that needs a little kick.

Here's one that I like a lot, the Kung Pao Chicken recipe from this site:

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:47:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I use the Anchos and the middle top or gaujhillos  to make real Texas chilli

For 5 pounds of meat I use 8 dried peppers and I also use chilli powder from the store, about 6 table spoons.

I also us  cumin what ever you call it. a little oregano and a lot of garlic..

If I was going to just use dried I would use about 16 of those peppers add your cumin and oregano garlic onion and  if you like a small amout of tomatoes or tomato sauce.

Not traditional but a little does not hurt

first I would stem and seed them and pour a small amount of boiling water or beef stock to cover and wait about 30 mins then put the stick blender to it motor boat and then strain through a strainer if you want.

You will have the real deal
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd reconstitute them, pull the stems, put them into a blender or processor with Shiner Bock and turn them into paste to make chili.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:15:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Red enchilada sauce
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Send em to me.  :-)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top