Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2014 2:22:04 AM EDT
Yeah, I was an idiot and use abrasive pads to clean my first non-stick pan. Had no idea you couldn't use metal utensils and only use plastic pads and soft sponges.

Aside from avoiding abrasive pads, and metal cooking utensils... are there any other precautions I need to use to make sure my new pan lasts a long while? I just bought this pan at my local restaurant supply store:

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:27:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Go out to eat
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#2]
throw it out and get a cast iron pan...
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Hand-wash it, especially if the packaging said to hand-wash.

Be careful when stacking them and putting away, as you can scratch the coating by banging or sliding the pans together.

I have a silicone-coated whisk that I love to use with my non-stick pans, but beware of the silicone coating wearing off.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be careful when stacking them and putting away, as you can scratch the coating by banging or sliding the pans together.

View Quote

This, when stacking non stick pans I will throw some newspaper between them to avoid scratching.

OP, you should also avoid very high heats, most non stick pans should just be used on low to medium.  Be wary of temperature as well.  Don't run a hot pan under cool water and let meat sit out of the fridge for a bit before throwing it in the pan.  Cold meat will stick to a hot pan and you'll lose your non stickiness.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#5]
"Season" it like cast-iron, with 6 layers of congealed oil . . .

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got my first ceramic finish non-stick pan.  I have no idea how well it will hold up but it is slicker than snot on a door knob.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:25:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Dont put it in the dishwasher.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:04:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I hang them from a wire rack shelf, spanning between two kitchen cabinets.  Hand wash, no metal utensils, no dishwasher, no acidic foods, no scouring pads.  I found some wash cloths with non abrasive plastic scrubbing grid on one side.  My pans are at least 8 years old.  Other than one light scratch from the faucet when rinsing, the nonstick looks new.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:05:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Pan protectors help.  Link.

Other than the other suggestions, the only thing that I've found to work is buying a high quality one to begin with.  Eventually all will get damaged, but it takes a lot longer for the better ones.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

THIS^^^^

DUPONT is bad juju.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:10:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Pretty simple like others have mentioned.

Don't wash in the dishwasher.

Don't use metal utensils.

Try to keep from setting other pans directly on top of it.

Even if you try, they will eventually get wear and tear. That's why I never buy a super-expensive non-stick pan; you end up replacing it anyway.
View Quote
If I understand correctly, the "typical" teflon surface actually isn't "slick" it's "thinly abrading".

Meaning a little bit of it comes off on the food as it breaks free, keeping the food from sticking.

They'll all wear out if you use them.

I just buy cheap pans. I good one and a cheap one act about the same if you are replacing them regularly.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 3:30:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If I understand correctly, the "typical" teflon surface actually isn't "slick" it's "thinly abrading".  

Meaning a little bit of it comes off on the food as it breaks free, keeping the food from sticking.

I just buy cheap pans. I good one and a cheap one act about the same if you are replacing them regularly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if you try, they will eventually get wear and tear. That's why I never buy a super-expensive non-stick pan; you end up replacing it anyway.

Sure you dont mean "ablating"?

But yeah, they're going to wear out, I usually buy the Calphalon ones, they seem to be decent quality for price.

I usually use cast iron when I can, and use the non stick for things that would foil the cast iron.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

But yeah, they're going to wear out, I usually buy the Calphalon ones, they seem to be decent quality for price.

I usually use cast iron when I can, and use the non stick for things that would foil the cast iron.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ablating is indeed the word I was looking for.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Some of the newer non-stick finishes on commercial grade fry pans is mega-durable.

Finishes like Vollrath's CeramiGuard II and their SteelCoat x3 are damn tough.

This durability is why I recommend buying commercial grade cookware as opposed to 'Suzy Homemaker' grade shit.

There's a reason you don't see T-Fal and Farberware in commercial kitchens.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 4:42:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Fuck non stick chemical shit.

Learn to cook on steel and iron like the vulcan intended you cook with.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote
Most of us want to minimize the saturated fat in or food. You gotta use some kind of oil or butter to keep food from sticking on steel and iron.

Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:57:56 PM EDT
[#19]
one thing to remember is that since the volume of aluminum has increased in use, so has stuff like Parkinism and Altzheimers. I have always felt a connection to increased aluminum being accumulated in the body. A friend of mine did a study when he was in college in the seventies and he came to a similar conclusion...but was discounted by his professors.
I cook only on cast iron or stainless, I don't use any aluminum pans at home nor will I buy anything in aluminum cans.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Also don't overheat the pan.  Don't let it sit on the burner with nothing in it or get really hot.  It will temporarily warp and causes the coatings to de-laminate.

Replace them when they start to flake.  Don't keep them like prized possessions.  They are disposable.  

A good triple ply or cast iron should last a life time, but not the non-sticks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:53:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Most of us want to minimize the saturated fat in or food. You gotta use some kind of oil or butter to keep food from sticking on steel and iron.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Solution: use olive oil. A properly seasoned cast iron pan requires VERY little oil.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuck that noise /\. CI is fine for lots of things but it's not the perfect, use it for everything pan that some people want you to believe. I still prefer non-stick pans for eggs, particularly omelets.

Here's my advice for non-stick pans...
1. No metal utensils and I even tend to avoid hard plastic ones. I prefer wood or nylon.
2. No Dishwasher and no scrub pads and really there is no need for them. Unless the pan is already ruined, a soapy dish cloth and some water is all you should need.
3. Don't buy expensive non-sticks pans. You can buy commercial grade non stick aluminum fry pans from places like Sam's and GFS for ~$15. They work and last as well as pans costing 3-4x as much. The best part is if you do screw one up, oh well it's only $15. Toss it and buy a new one.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
one thing to remember is that since the volume of aluminum has increased in use, so has stuff like Parkinism and Altzheimers. I have always felt a connection to increased aluminum being accumulated in the body. A friend of mine did a study when he was in college in the seventies and he came to a similar conclusion...but was discounted by his professors.
I cook only on cast iron or stainless, I don't use any aluminum pans at home nor will I buy anything in aluminum cans.
View Quote

What a bunch of namby pamby theoretical BS.

1. When you cook food on Teflon coated aluminum pans, the food never comes in contact with the aluminum.
2. If you are cooking on non-coated aluminum, how much of that aluminum do you really think is being transferred or absorbed by the food?
2. If you are worried about ingesting Teflon, know that the only way for that to happen is if the coating is coming off. If it is, throw the fucking pan away.

People worry about the stupidest shit these days. Believe whatever you want to believe but if you are really that worried about Aluminum and Teflon then I suggest you never go out to eat again because in many (most?) commercial kitchens, that's all they use
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Hand wash, do not use over high heat.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 12:39:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Doesn't matter what you do, they always flake. Don't buy nonstick-coating'd pans. Get stainless steel or cast iron.  If you want to get a set that will last the rest of your life but don't want to spend a ton, Tramontina is made in Brazil and excellent cookware if you pay for their fully tri-ply stuff, not just tri-ply base.
It's sold at wal-mart too, believe it or not; considering many all-clad pans are 3-500$ EACH, 140$ for a set of 5, with interchangeable lids, is a damn good deal.  Rather than buying a new pan often and having flakes of shit in your food that came off of the pan, just spend a little more up front and never need a new pan again.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/19581112?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227014887044&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=41981233270&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=34457649670&veh=sem

The 14 piece is really nice too:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-14-Piece-Tri-Ply-Clad-Cookware-Set-Stainless-Steel/22984415
Being able to use any utensil you want is also a really nice bonus, and if you ever sear ANYTHING you need to avoid the flaky covered crap.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let it stick.  

Keep cooking, and eventually it'll let loose.  Turn the meat, let it stick and break free again.  Those little bits left over in the pan will make for a nice sauce when you add some liquid, spices and then reduce it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:43:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck that- if my heart has to work harder to pump gravy through my veins it'll just get stronger.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#28]
i have some that are going on 6 years of regular use with no flaking/scratching.

Plastic utensils only, then scrub out with a soft-bristled brush.  I stack them, placing a towel in between to keep them from touching each other directly.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You might want to re-examine your reasons for avoiding fats—and butter specifically. The fat-cholesterol "conventional wisdom" has been de-bunked. There never was any truth to it. Further, natural saturated fats—butter, coconut oil, etc.—are the best fats. Fake, man-made "hydrogenated" fats—margarine, Crisco, etc.—are not so good. Use all the butter you like, and your health will not suffer for that change.

The French tried to tell us all along, but we are 'Muricans, goddamn it, and we "knew better."

If you still can't make the mental leap back to embracing butter, use olive oil. Your health will likely improve for it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Handwash, don't use sharps, don't use high heat

And know that no matter what it will wear out and you will need to replace it eventually.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#31]
<---- Cast Iron fan.

Just refinished an old pan I had left out on the grill and it is back in business.

Thanks for reminding me to toss out my "non-stick" pans.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top