Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2014 9:50:30 PM EDT
Hi All,

it's been a decade or so since I cooked some serious pork. Anyway,  I feel like doing sandwiches this week. The deal is I will be using my slow cooker since my grill is down temporarily.  

Any respectable recipes?  Leaning towards a Boston butt not too much vinegar and will probably use sweet baby rays for sauce. ....

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Fwiw I have only cooked pork on the grill/smoker, never a crock pot.

Regards
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The wife puts the pork in and pours a bottle of Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce and turns it on and leaves it all day.. Turns out great every time. Seems pretty straight forward.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Good to hear, thanks.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I do mine by rubbing the outside with taco seasoning then pouring in a bottle of Coca Cola, cooking for 10-12 hours, then adding the sauce when serving.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I do mine in the crock pot during the winter - I can't get the temp up in my "el cheapo grande" smoker.

Ingredients

1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 (4 to 6 pound) pork shoulder roast
1 cup barbecue sauce (of your liking)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 extra large onion, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme

Directions

Pour the vegetable oil into the bottom of a slow cooker
Place the pork roast into the slow cooker.
Mix remaining ingredients in bowl then pour over pork.
Cover and cook on High until the roast shreds easily with a fork, 5 to 6 hours.
Remove the roast from the slow cooker, and shred the meat using two forks.
Return the shredded pork to the slow cooker for 15 to 20 minutes and stir the meat into the juices.
Serve on hamburger roll (I like to toast mine on the grill) then top extra sauce and a big spoonful of coleslaw.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#5]
We do crockpot pulled pork occasionally. Now I want some!

1 onion

4 carrots

4 celery stalks

Box of mushrooms

1 bell pepper

3-4 pound pork shoulder

2 bottles beer

1 can beef broth

Seasoned salt

Chop all vegetables into bite-sized (1-inch) pieces. In a large heavy skillet, heat oil over low heat. Add the vegetables and sweat until translucent. While vegetables are sweating, trim fat from pork shoulder and cover with seasoned salt. When vegetables are done, remove to a clean bowl. Sear the pork shoulder on all sides, around 8 minutes per side.

Pour both beers into a large crockpot. Add the pork shoulder. Stir in more seasoned salt. Add the vegetables.  Add enough broth to bring the liquid level about ? up the pork. Cover. Cook on low heat 12-14 hours.

Remove pork and pull/flake apart. Strain out vegetables, reserving broth if you want to make gravy.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can't find a shoulder that's small enough, I've used pork loins in the past.  They work better for 3-4 servings; for me.

I use:
2-3 pounds pork loin
1 cup Sweet Baby Ray's
can of beer that you like (I add low sodium chicken stock if there's not enough liquid to cover)
medium onion sliced
salt and pepper to taste

Add all ingredients and slow cook for about 6 hours. Remove the meat and pull apart.  Save a cup of cooking liquid; pour the rest through a colander if you want the onions.  (I usually do)  Put it back in the crook pot and stir in another cup of Sweet Baby Ray's.  Add the reserved liquid for the right consistency.  Simmer for another 30 minutes or so; uncovered if you want it thicker.    

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow! AllAll these recipes look great.  I was only able to find a 5lb shoulder blade roast. ... it looks like a butt.

wil report back.

Thanks All
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I often do shoulders in a ceramic coated dutch oven as follows
Salt and pepper a 5 to 7 pound roast, and brown on all sides in a TBS of butter and a TBS of EVOO.
Remove the roast and slice a whole large sweet onion into 1/4 inch thick slices. layer them in the bottom of the pot, and put the roast back in on top of the onions fat side up.
Pour in a 12 ounce can of your favorite root beer, and a half a can full of water, (and a cap full of liquid smoke if desired).
Put the lid on and cook at 325 for 4 to 6 hours.
Remove and let stand until cool enough to shred. Serve with your house slaw and bbq sauce.

Edit: this method results in a shredded pork that can also be seasoned later for enchiladas or tacos. I'll vac-pac the left overs in 2 cup pouches and freeze for use later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top