Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2014 4:20:51 PM EDT
How do you guys do it? I've got a 5lb bag of seeds hanging out in my pantry, looking for some new ways to cook em. I  usually use salt and pepper, sometimes some garlic power.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

How do you guys do it? I've got a 5lb bag of seeds hanging out in my pantry, looking for some new ways to cook em. I  usually use salt and pepper, sometimes some garlic power.
View Quote
Why change what works?  Cookie sheet single layer in the oven.

It might be interesting to try roasting them in an popcorn air-popper.

I use peanut or canola oil to coat them, then apply whatever seasoning suits the fancy.

Where did you get 5 pounds of pumpkin seeds this time of year? (Let alone any time...)  Sure they aren't cooked already?

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Amazon has them at pretty reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:17:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I love pumpkin seeds.  I don't do anything fancy, just a light coating of coconut oil and some coarse salt, then into the oven for a few minutes.

I'm actually raising a couple of varieties of naked-seeded pumpkins this year just for seeds (also called oilseed pumpkins). They don't have the hull around the seeds that regular pumpkins do, so the seeds are all the "good stuff".  They are outstanding... taste a lot like sunflower seeds, but without all the hassle and shell-spitting.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Soy Sauce....at least that's what my mom used to do.  We loved 'em!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love pumpkin seeds.  I don't do anything fancy, just a light coating of coconut oil and some coarse salt, then into the oven for a few minutes.

I'm actually raising a couple of varieties of naked-seeded pumpkins this year just for seeds (also called oilseed pumpkins). They don't have the hull around the seeds that regular pumpkins do, so the seeds are all the "good stuff".  They are outstanding... taste a lot like sunflower seeds, but without all the hassle and shell-spitting.
View Quote

Oh, I've gotta know more about this!!! My wife LOVES pumpkin seeds but I can't stand them because of the hull. If there is such thing as a pumpkin seed without a hull I'm interested. Where did you get your seeds? Can you keep us updated when you harvest/roast and let us know how they turn out?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Oh, I've gotta know more about this!!! My wife LOVES pumpkin seeds but I can't stand them because of the hull. If there is such thing as a pumpkin seed without a hull I'm interested. Where did you get your seeds? Can you keep us updated when you harvest/roast and let us know how they turn out?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, the first batch I tried was a dismal failure

I'm not sure the first seeds I harvested were completely mature; they were green colored, but pretty much completely filled out and the pumpkins themselves "looked" ripe.  Info on the pumpkins (I planted Lady Godiva and Williams Naked Seed) is pretty scarce, so I'm not sure what the seeds are supposed to look like when roasting-ready. But when I tried to roast them, it turned into a soggy mush instead of crispy seeds. A couple of possibilities:
- maybe immature
- possibly need to dry more thoroughly before roasting (though I don't recall having to do this with regular pumpkin seeds)
- might have laid on the coconut oil a little thick
- seeds may just be too oily internally to roast well... these varieties are also raised because of the high oil content of the seeds for extraction.

Squash bugs have been hitting us pretty hard, but I've still got a number of pumpkins out there to try.  I'll post if I have any better luck with the next batch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top