Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2014 5:12:18 PM EDT
I LOVE pickled okra!

I've put up some pretty good pickled okra in the past but I cannot seem to get "crunchy" like the store-bought brands.

How to do this?

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You can buy calcium chloride (aka Pickle Crisp)
to put in any pickled vegetable to increase the crunchiness of the
final product. I made the exact same pickle recipe twice this year, once
without it and once with it, and there was a noticeable difference in
the resulting crunchiness.

It's in stock at my local grocery store, but they have a year-round section of canning supplies.

I haven't tried the pickled okra that I made with it yet, because it's not "done" pickling in its jars.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can buy calcium chloride (aka Pickle Crisp) to put in any pickled vegetable to increase the crunchiness of the final product. I made the exact same pickle recipe twice this year, once without it and once with it, and there was a noticeable difference in the resulting crunchiness.

It's in stock at my local grocery store, but they have a year-round section of canning supplies.

I haven't tried the pickled okra that I made with it yet, because it's not "done" pickling in its jars.
View Quote

Thanks for info!
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 for the pickle crisp.

The difference is noticeable.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Tag.
View Quote
Are you tagging to see results, or do you want a recipe?  

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#6]
The last time I put up pickled okra (and it's been about 10 years ago) I used the recipe in the Ball Blue Book.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The last time I put up pickled okra (and it's been about 10 years ago) I used the recipe in the Ball Blue Book.
View Quote

I don't know how they compare, but I used this recipe from the National Center for Home Food Preservation, but left out the hot peppers because I didn't have any.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't know how they compare, but I used this recipe from the National Center for Home Food Preservation, but left out the hot peppers because I didn't have any.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never heard of that site before. Bookmarked!
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I use the same recipe.   See here if you need pictures:

http://pickyourown.org/okra_pickled.htm

ETA - I normally don't add the peppers, but do add some black peppercorns sometimes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Pickled Okra

Brine

3 cups apple cider vinegar

4 cups water

½ cup sugar

¼ cup salt

Pickling spice (about ¼ cup) I have used McCormick and cheap Mexican. Both are good.

Pickles

Finger size okra or smaller

2 cloves of garlic chopped

Fresh hot peppers like jalapeño (optional)

Sprig of dill

Wash the Okra and clean.

Sterilize the jars and lids. I used wide mouth pint jars.

Put in the garlic, peppers, and dill in the jar. Stuff the okra in the jar and remember when you process it will shrink.

Bring brine to a boil for 5 min and add to jars and leave ¼” headspace. When you process air will come out of the okra and you will have a ¾” headspace.

Seal and process for 10 - 15 minutes in boiling water.

Each brine recipe will do about 8 pint jars. Six pounds of okra will do about 20 pints.

Brine also works for pickling garlic and peppers. Mix brine 50/50 with pickled beet juice and it makes killer eggs. I do not process the eggs I just refrigerate.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tag.

Both.

ETA: Unluckily the ones I just pulled are too big for pickling.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:42:58 AM EDT
[#12]
It's awesome. Love it.

Never pickled it myself.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is a small-batch "refrigerator pickle" version that uses habanero chiles for heat. Looks good!

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Spicy-Okra-Pickles?dom=SAV&loc=recent&lnk=10&con=okra-pickles
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top