Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2014 12:24:11 AM EDT
So after a thread on here a month or two ago, I ended up going with a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker instead of an electric model.  I've only used it a couple of times so far, and have had pretty good luck with ribs (trying to decide on brisket or turkey legs next).

Anyway, probably because I don't have enough experience yet I've had to keep a semi-close eye on it to regulate the temperature after starting with a few hours of a nice, even steady burn.  Someone recommended a Pitmaster IQ system, and I'm wondering if anyone on here has ever tried one?

Your opinions, good, bad or indifferent?
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 9:48:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I had one for 5 years......worked great.  One knob, turn it to the temp you want, that's it.  "Set it and forget it."

The only reason I upgraded to the IQ120 was to run my Rebel.  There are some extra functions and special programs on the 120 needed for that beast.  If you have a Maverick 732 or 733 remote thermometer, you have most of upgrades covered already.  I have never used the other functions when using the 120 on my BGE's--110 was just fine for those.

I know a lot about the BBQ Guru and FlameBoss controllers as well, but I the 110 and 120 work best for my application.  I'm 10 minutes from Pitmaster and can get you the local's deal on them.  Just send me an email if you want to talk other controllers or want a 110, 120, and/or Maverick 733.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one, its great for overnight cooks.  Wish I had more time to use it and experiment.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an iq110.  I like it. The only thing I don't like is that when you remove the lid it has a feature that registers the lid off and for some reason doesn't always turn back on.

Apparently the 120 has an override of that feature.  So I'd get the 120.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an iq110.  I like it. The only thing I don't like is that when you remove the lid it has a feature that registers the lid off and for some reason doesn't always turn back on.

View Quote

I've had that happen on mine once or twice over last 5 yrs.  I do not open the lid very much, but when I did I would just reset the power really quick.  On the newer 110's, you can disable that function, but at the same time it eliminates the variable speed fan (so it's 100% speed on/off only).
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've had that happen on mine once or twice over last 5 yrs.  I do not open the lid very much, but when I did I would just reset the power really quick.  On the newer 110's, you can disable that function, but at the same time it eliminates the variable speed fan (so it's 100% speed on/off only).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah mainly have the issue when doing Ribs since I flip, baste and wrap a couple times during the cooking, so there is like 3 possible times where it can mess up and I just don't like worrying about that.  

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:22:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I haven't run into any problems with that feature, but I don't open the lid very often. Even when I do, nothing happens to the temperature. It makes sense not to have the blower adjust immediately when opening the lid because a equilibrium temperature will be established again pretty quickly.
View Quote

The problem is that the after the temp settles back to where it was, I've had it flash green/red (lid off) for 30mins and had the temp drop down.  A reset usually fixes it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I run the BBQ Guru DigiQ DX on my WSM. I love it, well worth the price.

DigiQ DX
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got the IQ120 running on my WSM right now.  No problems with it.  It's been rock solid and has no problem holding a steady temp.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#11]
i only have one complaint about mine---i didn't get it sooner.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:41:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I assume theres an adapter to connect to the rectangle opening on the bottom of a green egg?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:04:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I assume theres an adapter to connect to the rectangle opening on the bottom of a green egg?
View Quote

Yes, it comes with an adapter for a large kamado, small kamado, hose barb, or a universal adapter for a daisy wheel type intake.  The small adapter fits the mini and small BGE, and the large adapter fits the medium , large, or xl BGE.  It fits in the channel of the lower draft door.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top