Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/4/2014 12:54:17 AM EDT
I received a Taylor Pork Roll as a gift. I have never heard of it before.   From what I have read, it is fairly exclusive to New Jersey unless you order it.

I read that most people fry it and put it on a sandwich.  Are there any other ways to prepare it that I should try?

I fried a piece up and tasted it.  It seemed like a cross between bacon and ham.  It tasted fairly salty..Is that the way it is supposed to taste?
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Pan fry,  add egg and cheese with some hot sauce (average yankee uses ketchup) and  make a sandwich.....Salty goodness  Also a great hangover helper.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Egg Sandwich is pretty much the way to go. Nice kaiser roll, cheese, hot sauce and a gooey over easy egg.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Pork roll, scrambled egg, and pepper jack cheese on a toasted bagel. You'll be a Yankee in no time. Next up for you is scrapple with ketchup and eggs.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 2:48:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies, I will give them a try.   When I first saw it I was expecting it to taste like ham, bologna, or salami.   The strong salty bacon flavor was surprising... It's really good.  

I am already looking for places I can order from when this one is gone..
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:02:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies, I will give them a try.   When I first saw it I was expecting it to taste like ham, bologna, or salami.   The strong salty bacon flavor was surprising... It's really good.  

I am already looking for places I can order from when this one is gone..
View Quote

There ya go have fun.

CLICK ME

ME TO

ME ALSO
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Taylor ham, egg and cheese on a hard roll...... With ketchup please !

One of the best things about being from New Jersey.

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 8:25:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Fry the Taylor's ham and use it in your next grilled cheese sandwich...along with a thick slice of tomato.

Taylor Pork Roll shacks used to be a staple on the boardwalks of most of the mid-Atlantic beaches.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:48:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Breakfast meat of the GODS!

Slice it, fry it, put it on a hard roll with egg and cheese, salt pepper ketchup.  Or just eat it plain.  It's all good.  Wegmans has been carrying this stuff, tho it's $7.50/lb, which is a lot more than when I pick it up at ShopRite when I visit NJ.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm hungry now.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:27:03 PM EDT
[#10]
used to be called Taylor ham, but the FDA declared it could not be called ham.

kaiser roll + egg & cheese is known as "Jersey Breakfast" at any diner on the east coast.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
used to be called Taylor ham, but the FDA declared it could not be called ham.

kaiser roll + egg & cheese is known as "Jersey Breakfast" at any diner on the east coast.
View Quote

yup
taylor ham egg and cheese on a Kaiser roll...with salt, pepper and Ketchup. I have one at least 3 times a week.
It's funny, I live 15 minutes from Orange county NY...go there and ask for it and they look at you funny.

Here is also a good use, the Jersey Burger.
Regular cheese burger with a slice or two of fried Taylor ham on it. ...its pretty awesome

http://jerseyporkroll.com/products/taylor-ham-6-lb-pork-roll/
I think that 6 lbs is like $22 at shoprite, I will check on it if you want some

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Pan fry,  add egg and cheese with some hot sauce (average yankee uses ketchup) and  make a sandwich.....Salty goodness  Also a great hangover helper.
View Quote

this or as your meat on a bf plate.   Sandwich is the best use though.

I gots joisey freinds in upstate ny.  Carving into a pork roll is an event when they have company.   I couldn't touch the scrapple though.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Fried, with a fried egg on a kaiser roll with spicy mustard.

LOVE Pork Roll!
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:42:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah... It's pretty much one of the best things I have ever tasted.   So far the breakfast sandwich is my favorite way to prepare it.  A toasted, buttered croissant, habanero cheese, and an egg is pretty good.  

I'm going to give the burger thing a try.  That sounds pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:06:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's pretty much one of the best things I have ever tasted.
View Quote

and now you see the problem.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:58:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Slice it thin and fry it up till the edges are crispy.    Oh my lawd.  

It's the only Jersey thing I miss.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Be sure to "nick" the edges before cooking... so it won't curl or "cup."

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:23:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/img/sg_njprf09h.jpg

View Quote

Yeah, thanks for posting that.  I learned that after the first couple of times cooking it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yeah, thanks for posting that.  I learned that after the first couple of times cooking it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/img/sg_njprf09h.jpg

That's how it gets the nickname "notch meat"

Going home to Jersey for Labor Day, gotta get a bunch to bring back!
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#20]
One of the few -- possibly only -- redeeming qualities of this state.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:37:32 PM EDT
[#21]
it depends...if you live in the rural areas, NJ is pretty awesome. If it wasn't for our communists that is. My area (Sussex county) is still pretty good overall
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:56:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Not as salty as country ham but close.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top