Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2012 7:06:11 PM EDT
My great grandma and some of my great aunts all from southern Illinois used to make cobbler with fresh peaches and pie crust. Unfortunately they're all dead and I can't ask em how. Most of the recipes out there are for biscuit dough. Is the Betty Crocker recipe for cobbler with pie crust as good as I'm gonna find?

Link Posted: 6/30/2012 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I've made some non-Betty Crocker recipes, but I love the Betty Crocker ones the best. I really like the texture of the pie crust, and the fruit mixture doesn't come out super-liquidy like some of the others I've tried.

I suggest making a few different pies and seeing which you like the best.  It is so unfortunate to have to eat so many pies.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Cobbler is usually fruit cooked with a crust or crumbles on top. Pie has crust underneath.

I've made cobbler using bisquick on top (thinned like pancake batter) and cobblers using granola type crumbles on top. I had a peach cobbler made with a crushed up bran flakes, cinnamon, and butter mixture on top. Not bad at all.

Work on whichever direction you like best....and keep making it until you pop get it like you want it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Peach Cobbler

cut up three or four ripe peaches

One cup flour
One cup sugar
One tsp baking powder
dash salt
One stick unsalted butter
One cup milk

Sift together the dry ingredients

Melt the butter in a casserole dish
Mix together the milk and the dry ingredients. pour into the melted butter.  No need to stir it at all
pour the fruit into the batter

Bake at 350 for 45 min to an hour
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's Betty's recipe.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/triple-crust-peach-cobbler/ad75b453-ad32-49d1-9303-5f536986cc80

This is more or less how several women from different families made it around the Carbondale/Herrin area when I was a kid. It was way better than peach cobbler in N.H. where I grew up, they used canned peaches and freakin cake!
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Not bad for a guy who really doesn't bake.

Link Posted: 9/3/2012 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My great grandma and some of my great aunts all from southern Illinois used to make cobbler with fresh peaches and pie crust. Unfortunately they're all dead and I can't ask em how. Most of the recipes out there are for biscuit dough. Is the Betty Crocker recipe for cobbler with pie crust as good as I'm gonna find?

Ouija board.
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Peach Cobbler

cut up three or four ripe peaches

One cup flour
One cup sugar
One tsp baking powder
dash salt
One stick unsalted butter
One cup milk

Sift together the dry ingredients

Melt the butter in a casserole dish
Mix together the milk and the dry ingredients. pour into the melted butter.  No need to stir it at all
pour the fruit into the batter

Bake at 350 for 45 min to an hour

This is the simplist, quickest, most reliable way to do it. I've done it countless times through the years. This year I started using 1/2 cup of milk instead of one cup. It seems to help get a good brown crust.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 7:17:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been using Paula Dean's recipe, and it is damn tasty.

Ingredients

• 4 cups peeled, sliced peaches

• 2 cups sugar, divided

• 1/2 cup water

• 8 tablespoons butter

• 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour

• 1 1/2 cups milk

• Ground cinnamon, optional

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the peaches, 1 cup sugar, and water in a saucepan and mix
well. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Put the butter in a 3-quart baking dish and place in oven to melt.

Mix remaining 1 cup sugar, flour, and milk slowly to prevent
clumping. Pour mixture over melted butter. Do not stir. Spoon fruit on
top, gently pouring in syrup. Sprinkle top with ground cinnamon, if
using. Batter will rise to top during baking. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top