Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2011 12:03:17 PM EDT
I opened my mouth and offered to supply pulled pork sandwiches for about 60 people Sunday at 11am.  Trouble is we're going to a wedding Saturday night and won't be home till late, so the last thing I want to do is sit up with my smoker all night and then it might not be done in time anyway.  I thought about putting it in the Nesco and so it's ready to pull at 10am or so, but I can't find any recipes specifically for the Nesco.  

I have two pork butts, about 7# each.  Any ideas on temp and how long it will take??  I really need some help guys thanks
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of smoker do you have? If it's a WSM or even an ECB you can use the minion method and not worry a bit. Before the wedding or even that morning, get your Butt ready.

Set up your fire pan like this:

First get a tomato juice, pineapple juice or other large can and cut the bottom out of both ends. Put it in the middle of your fire pan

Next put unlit charcoal and wood chunks around the empty can with a few wood chunks in the bottom of the pan for good measure.

Start about 20 briquettes in your charcoal chimney and get them all hat and red and covered in ash

Dump the chimney of coals into the empty can in the middle and use a pair of pliers to remove the can

now, put the smoker together, load with Butt and walk away. It will maintain 225-250 unattended for 6-10 hours. I honestly think that low and slow you can't overcook a butt unless you have no waterpan between the coals and the butt, then you start a grease fire that will burn it ALL up.

You can thank me later.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#2]
^^^Awesome. I love it! Thanks for that
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Mines a home made I built myself.  Double walled and insulated upright smoker.  So if I do it this way, I just worry about it getting too hot.  I have two vents on the firebox, and one stack that I can open and close.  Would I close the bottom vents and crack the stack?
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 4:58:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I've always ran the top stack wide open no matter what, and adjust air with the bottom flapper
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 4:36:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I did a quick search on the minion method http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html

The whole thing looks way too easy to actually work, but I'm going to give it a shot.  Thanks walt_l
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 8:11:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#8]
You guys must make big sammiches.  There was actually 33 people and maybe four pounds of pork left over.  I did however add a third butt just to be safe.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I made some a while back, put some sliced onions on bottom of pot, slap in the pork butt, pour some bbq sauce over it and let it rip for 6-8 hours.  The meat will be tender, falling off the bone, but all the juices will also be in the crockpot.  The pork will be soggy, you'll have to strain it from the broth.

It was edible and good even, but not anything like in the pictures above
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#11]
good lookn Q
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I marinated my last butt for 12 hours, then smoked at 190 to 200 for 12 hours then stuck it in the oven for 8 more.  I don't think you have time to do it this way, but it was delicious.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd be interested in hearing your marinade recipe for next time though.  I've never heard of marinating a pork butt, but I did inject one with apple juice one time and it was wonderful.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#14]
3x16oz cans of cheap beer
6oz of molases
2 cups apple cider vinegar
whatever spices sound good to you

pat dry, apply dry rub, smoke for 12h@200* and oven for 8h@200. I spritzed with apple juice during the smoking process to try and keep it from drying out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top