Site Notices
Page / 12
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Originally Posted By Slavac:

Is there such a thing as broccoli cheddar soup that can be made in a crockpot?

You can make broccoli cheese soup, but you don't have to do it in a crockpot. It doesn't take that long to cook, and doing it in the crockpot is just an extra hassle. It's basically a "roux + chicken stock, simmer to thicken, add cheese" type of recipe - real simple.

Agreed.  Plus to add a little bulk to it, get your favorite package of ramen noodles (chicken flavored is preferable).  Add the noodles. I find that the noodles makes it even better.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2011 3:01:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: path] [#3]
Saw this in a book a while ago.  I don't have the recipe so I just wing it from memory and it comes out fine.

16 oz Red Beans
16 oz Crushed Tomatoes
4 oz Chopped Green Chilies
1 cup Chopped Celery
2 tbsp. Italian Seasoning
1 lb. Smoked Sausage
Tabasco to taste  (I use Dave's Insanity instead.)

Slice the sausage into bite-size pieces.
Combine everything in the crock pot and stir.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Serve over rice.
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 8:21:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ellaminnow] [#4]
Originally Posted By metalsaber:
Attempting the Pepporocini Beef sandwiches tonight.  I did go with a 3lb English Roast instead of Chuck Roast.  Was the only thing my butcher had.  I added a can of beef broth to the mix since I'm using a bigger crock pot.  Didn't want it to get too dry.

Will report back after having them for supper.

How was it?
*fingers crossed that it didn't turn out to be terrible*
Link Posted: 9/8/2011 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By path:

Saw this in a book a while ago.  I don't have the recipe so I just wing it from memory and it comes out fine.

16 oz Red Beans

16 oz Crushed Tomatoes

1 cup Chopped Celery

1 lb. Smoked Sausage

Serve over rice.
Sounds too good.  Cold weather food.

Link Posted: 9/8/2011 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Shoulder roast. Let it cook over night. Take it out at noon. Shred it. Stir in bbq sauce.

BBQ pork sandwiches.

Had that tonight.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 11:24:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By ellaminnow:

Attempting the Pepporocini Beef sandwiches tonight.  I did go with a 3lb English Roast instead of Chuck Roast.  Was the only thing my butcher had.  I added a can of beef broth to the mix since I'm using a bigger crock pot.  Didn't want it to get too dry.

Will report back after having them for supper.

How was it?

*fingers crossed that it didn't turn out to be terrible*

Wasn't bad.  I think what would have set it over the top was a good home made horseradish sauce.  I'm had some good HR sauce on some beef sandwiches before that just makes it complete.

Link Posted: 9/12/2011 10:55:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: metalsaber] [#8]
Beer BBQ Chicken

Trying a new SIM-PULL recipe that I was given by a co-worker that I'm attempting today.

• Whole Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast(s).  

• I'm using 2 that I cut in half plus removed any excess fat.

• Beer - Depends on how you like your flavoring.  I was told that Miller Light gives it a nice beer taste but isn't too over powering.

• I used 2 1 bottle of Miller Light.  After making it, it was good with 2 beers, but might be too much kick for most people.  Stick with 1 bottle and go from there on subsequent cookings.

• BBQ Sauce - Using Sweet Baby Rays (original flavor)

• I used 2 Bottles of it.  

• Onion - 1 sliced.  I then pulled each individual ring apart to spread it out.

I put the 2 bottles of beer and bbq sauce in 1st.  Use a wisk to mix the beer and bbq sauce.  Should foam up a little then settle to a nice bbq colored look.

Add the Sliced Onions.

Then add your chicken breasts.

I pushed the breasts down under the sauce.

Cook on Low for 8-10hrs.  I'm going for 10hrs to see how it tastes.

Link Posted: 9/12/2011 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Beer BBQ Chicken

Trying a new SIM-PULL recipe that I was given by a co-worker that I'm attempting today.

• Beer - Depends on how you like your flavoring.  I was told that Miller Light gives it a nice beer taste but isn't too over powering.
    • I used 2 bottles of Miller Light.
I put the 2 bottles of beer and bbq sauce in 1st.  Use a wisk to mix the beer and bbq sauce.  Should foam up a little then settle to a nice bbq colored look.
Add the Sliced Onions.

I may try that just for giggles, but, I'm considering cutting the amount of  liquid you added in half. Waiting for after action report.
Link Posted: 9/12/2011 6:49:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: metalsaber] [#10]

Originally Posted By GLHX2112:

Beer BBQ Chicken

• I used 2 bottles of Miller Light.

Add the Sliced Onions.

I may try that just for giggles, but, I'm considering cutting the amount of  liquid you added in half. Waiting for after action report.

Just finished up.  It was pretty darn good.  Had it with Cheesy Potato Casserole.  yum yum.  Heck my Dad is picky and he ate almost almost 3/4 of a chicken breast.    The dog loved it.
I think if I was doing it again, I would go with 1 bottle of booze and stick with the 2 bottles of BBQ sauce.  But it really depends on if you want more "kick".  

I also think 10hrs seemed pretty much spot on.  The chicken was extremely tender and fell apart with the touch of your fork.

Link Posted: 9/15/2011 2:48:21 AM EDT
[#11]
BBQ Beer Chicken ala Crock Pot has been fired up !  I figured I would start it right before hitting the sack, so when I wake up, my house should smell awesome.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Sweet.  Let me know how you like it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 7:48:40 AM EDT
[#13]

16 oz Red Beans

16 oz Crushed Tomatoes

1 cup Chopped Celery

1 lb. Smoked Sausage

Serve over rice.

Headed to the grocery store. Going to add these ingredients to my list and fire up the crock pot when I get home. The red beans are canned, not dried right?

Link Posted: 9/15/2011 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone have something for a whole chicken?
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 11:32:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Andras:
Anyone have something for a whole chicken?

I've done a whole roasted chicken, just season and put in the pot.  The trick is to elevate the chicken off the bottom using a rack or even some rolled up foil so the bird sits above all the liquid.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 5:21:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By Zedhead:

A cheap meal we make once every 2 weeks or so:

Chicken breasts

Package of Italian Dressing

Block of cream cheese

Cream of chicken soup

Onion (if you have one, don't need it)

Cook on low 4-6 hours. The last hour or so pull the chicken out and use a blender stick (or whatever tool) to mix up the sauce well so it is smooth. Put the chicken back in and cook for a little more.

Serve over rice. I like lots of ground pepper on mine. I think it tastes even better the next day after it has been in the fridge.

Thanks.  Got this in the crock pot right now........

Link Posted: 9/17/2011 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Lazy man's pulled pork.  Layer the bottom of the pot with sliced onions. Add the pork roast. Layer more onions on top. Fill almost to the top of the roast with Sprite or 7up and cook on low for 8-10 hours. (season with your favorite rub or not) Pour off the liquid, shred with a fork and add you favorite BBQ sauce. Reheat and your good to go.

O know this sounds kinda weird but someone posted this here some time back and it pretty dang good.  All day on the smoker over pecan wood is better but this ain't bad.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 11:13:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By orion251:

Chicken breasts
Block of cream cheese
Cream of chicken soup

Cook on low 4-6 hours. The last hour or so pull the chicken out and use a blender stick (or whatever tool) to mix up the sauce well so it is smooth. Put the chicken back in and cook for a little more.

Serve over rice. I like lots of ground pepper on mine. I think it tastes even better the next day after it has been in the fridge.

You're gonna love it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By Brundoggie:

Chicken breasts

Block of cream cheese

Cream of chicken soup

You're gonna love it.

Yep, I did!  Pretty sure I will be making this 2 to 3 times a month from now on.............    Great on rice and can't wait to try it on egg noodles.

Link Posted: 9/17/2011 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#20]
1 lb. stew meat, any will do.
6-8 small potatoes cut in cubes
1 lb raw baby carrots
1 small onion, rough chopped
1/2 cup red wine
1tbs Ms. Dash seasoning
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup

Throw it all in the pot and cook on low for 8-10 hours.

I do this with deer meat also.

Makes a great meal for 4-6 people depending on size of person.  

Serve with biscuits or texas toast.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 9:16:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Gopher:
Lazy man's pulled pork.  Layer the bottom of the pot with sliced onions. Add the pork roast. Layer more onions on top. Fill almost to the top of the roast with Sprite or 7up and cook on low for 8-10 hours. (season with your favorite rub or not) Pour off the liquid, shred with a fork and add you favorite BBQ sauce. Reheat and your good to go.

O know this sounds kinda weird but someone posted this here some time back and it pretty dang good.  All day on the smoker over pecan wood is better but this ain't bad.

I use ginger ale, but I have done this before and it's great.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 10:38:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jwb211] [#23]
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Just put Metal Saber's recipe on the crockpot.

1 can beer

3 chicken breasts

1 can chicken broth

BBQ sauce

Bit of a1 for tang

Bit of garlic.

No idea if this is going to turn out or not.

I was going to say the beer adds plenty of tang (especially 2 bottles).  Be interested to see how the chicken broth & A1 works with it.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 6:02:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:07:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: metalsaber] [#26]

Just put Metal Saber's recipe on the crockpot.

1 can beer

3 chicken breasts

1 can chicken broth

BBQ sauce

Bit of a1 for tang

Bit of garlic.

No idea if this is going to turn out or not.

I was going to say the beer adds plenty of tang (especially 2 bottles).  Be interested to see how the chicken broth & A1 works with it.  

Honestly it was...meh.  There wasn't enough flavor imparted into the chicken.  I'm betting that the inclusion of the broth watered everything down too much.

Still a good idea, just don't follow my above recipe.

Was afraid of that.

Link Posted: 9/20/2011 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Chicken breasts

Block of cream cheese

Cream of chicken soup

You're gonna love it.

Yep, I did!  Pretty sure I will be making this 2 to 3 times a month from now on.............    Great on rice and can't wait to try it on egg noodles.

I liked the sauce but the breast were too dry. I want to try this with thighs to see if they hold up better to the slow and low cooking.

But if you made the sauce in a pan and grilled or pan fried some breast to keep them moist and give them a little more flavor it would be awesome.

Link Posted: 9/20/2011 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Were your breasts completely covered?  Mine are completely covered and were very juicy.

Originally Posted By mo98:

Chicken breasts
Block of cream cheese
Cream of chicken soup

You're gonna love it.

I liked the sauce but the breast were too dry. I want to try this with thighs to see if they hold up better to the slow and low cooking.

But if you made the sauce in a pan and grilled or pan fried some breast to keep them moist and give them a little more flavor it would be awesome.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#29]

Were your breasts completely covered?  Mine are completely covered and were very juicy.

Originally Posted By mo98:

Chicken breasts

Block of cream cheese

Cream of chicken soup

You're gonna love it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

They were, I'll play with it with out the crockpot in two weeks. I think I'll pan fry the breast in a SS pan. then hit the pan with some white wine or chicken broth to deglaze the pan. Add in the cream of chicken soup, cream cheese and dressing then serving it over some noodles.

Link Posted: 9/21/2011 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I slow cooked some chicken today, and I want to add some hot sauce overnight.

3 breasts, 6 thighs, 6 legs with the meat pulled off the bone.

I have 1 bottle of generic hot sauce, would you add the whole thing, or half?

Should I add some honey too?
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 12:29:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TexasSheepdog:

16 oz Red Beans
16 oz Crushed Tomatoes
1 cup Chopped Celery
1 lb. Smoked Sausage

Serve over rice.

Headed to the grocery store. Going to add these ingredients to my list and fire up the crock pot when I get home. The red beans are canned, not dried right?

Yeah, I always use canned, don't see why you couldn't use dried though.  I'd soak them first.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By TexasSheepdog:

16 oz Red Beans

16 oz Crushed Tomatoes

1 cup Chopped Celery

1 lb. Smoked Sausage

Serve over rice.

Yeah, I always use canned, don't see why you couldn't use dried though.  I'd soak them first.

Yeah I went with canned, didn't have time to soak the beans first. Came out great!

Link Posted: 10/3/2011 11:26:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Chicken breasts

Block of cream cheese

Cream of chicken soup

Two thumbs up Zed

Link Posted: 10/5/2011 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I looked to see if something like this was already posted but didn't see it.

Italian Pulled Pork

1 Pork Butt (10-14 lbs), cut it off the bone and get rid of the big chunks of fat, I end up cutting off a couple pound of fat.
If you don't the final product will be oozing fat. It still will have plenty after the trimming is done.

1-2 packages of Louie's Italian Beef au jus seasoning

1/2 c or less water

Throw in crockpot with the bone included (adds tremendous flavor)

Cook for 8+ hours on low. 10 hours= better and 12 won't hurt it.

I have to order it online from their website now that we live in Texas but I love this stuff. MSG and all.
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 1:38:21 AM EDT
[#35]
1 Pikes Peak Roast
Onions
Carrots
Potatoes
Garlic Powder
Salt n Pepper
Water

Put all in crockpot and cook on medium over night and then turn to low when you wake up.
Will be ready when you get home.
The oil makes this stew just

Get's better every time you reheat it. Best by day 3 if it lasts that long. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 1:04:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By KansanShooter:

1 Pikes Peak Roast

Onions

Carrots

Potatoes

Garlic Powder

Salt n Pepper

Water

Put all in crockpot and cook on medium over night and then turn to low when you wake up.

Will be ready when you get home.

The oil makes this stew just

Get's better every time you reheat it. Best by day 3 if it lasts that long. Enjoy!
I don't see oil in the ingredients..

Link Posted: 10/9/2011 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By RN22lr:
I looked to see if something like this was already posted but didn't see it.

Italian Pulled Pork

1 Pork Butt (10-14 lbs), cut it off the bone and get rid of the big chunks of fat, I end up cutting off a couple pound of fat.
If you don't the final product will be oozing fat. It still will have plenty after the trimming is done.

1-2 packages of Louie's Italian Beef au jus seasoning

1/2 c or less water

Throw in crockpot with the bone included (adds tremendous flavor)

Cook for 8+ hours on low. 10 hours= better and 12 won't hurt it.

I have to order it online from their website now that we live in Texas but I love this stuff. MSG and all.

This looks promising, to me. How are the peppers that they offer? Do you use them?
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 11:09:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RobertL] [#38]
Pork-n-Kraut

4 pork steaks
2 jars of kraut
Salt and pepper

Heavily salt and pepper the pork steaks and give them a hard sear in a cast iron skillet with a little oil.
Layer the pork steaks and kraut in the crockpot, starting and finishing with kraut.
Cook on low all day.

Enjoy!  This is so simple, but it's our favorite crockpot dish!
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:39:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By robertl:
Pork-n-Kraut

4 pork steaks
2 jars of kraut
Salt and pepper

Heavily salt and pepper the pork steaks and give them a hard sear in a cast iron skillet with a little oil.
Layer the pork steaks and kraut in the crockpot, starting and finishing with kraut.
Cook on low all day.

Oh gawd that sounds wonderful!
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 7:31:37 AM EDT
[#40]

Pork-n-Kraut

4 pork steaks

2 jars of kraut

Salt and pepper

Cook on low all day.

For anyone that doesn't like sour kraut, may I suggest you dice up 1 or 2 "sweet" apples and put them into your mix.  The sweetness of the apple helps counter the sour of the kraut.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 11:46:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RobertL] [#41]

Pork-n-Kraut

4 pork steaks
2 jars of kraut
Salt and pepper

Cook on low all day.

For anyone that doesn't like sour kraut, may I suggest you dice up 1 or 2 "sweet" apples and put them into your mix.  The sweetness of the apple helps counter the sour of the kraut.

You can also add some caraway seed.  I use homeade kraut that a friend cans and it has a lot of caraway.  If I were to use store bought, I would add some caraway.
Apple is always a good thing in kraut or cooked cabbage.  We always add apple to our German style cooked red cabbage.
 [/quote]

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Pork-n-Kraut

4 pork steaks
2 jars of kraut
Salt and pepper

Cook on low all day.

You can also add some caraway seed.  I use homeade kraut that a friend cans and it has a lot of caraway.  If I were to use store bought, I would add some caraway.
Apple is always a good thing in kraut or cooked cabbage.  We always add apple to our German style cooked red cabbage.

[/quote]

I pretty much make the above recipe, adjusted for amount (i'm single), and, I have been known to toss a bottle of dark beer in there to add some more interesting character to the pot.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Do you drain the kraut before putting it in the pot?
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Gopher:
Do you drain the kraut before putting it in the pot?

As is.

Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:11:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RobertL] [#45]
Here's another simple one that's really good.

Crocked Beef

2lbs beef stew meat cut in 1" chunks

1 package Lipton Onion Soup Mix

1 stick butter

Put all 3 ingredients in the crockpot on high, stir it once after the butter melts, turn it to low and cook for eight hours.

Serve over noodles or rice.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#46]
will be doing some digging through this thread soon........bout that time of year.........
Link Posted: 10/14/2011 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#47]
For those of you who have posted recipes thank you.  Can you please edit to add a title or description of the recipe in bold and larger font so they stand out?
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#48]

Italian Cream Cheese Chicken

Chicken breasts

Block of cream cheese

Cream of chicken soup

gonna try this today, will let you know how it was later.

added a can of cream of mushroom to it.

Link Posted: 10/16/2011 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Zedhed, that chicken and rice recipe was good, my boys and I enjoyed it.   Thank you for posting.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By m00ler03:

Italian Cream Cheese Chicken

Chicken breasts

Block of cream cheese

Cream of chicken soup

gonna try this today, will let you know how it was later.

added a can of cream of mushroom to it.

well, i must say, this was very good

had it over buttered egg noodles, will try it on rice with the leftovers..

Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top