User Panel

Site Notices
ASK THE CHEF Part DEAUX (Page 29 of 39)
Page / 39
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:12:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By billyhill:

We  are fat and sassy. Feeling pretty good right now. Beef burgundy for sunday dinner
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:
You know dang well I am going to make this.

How you doing stranger?

doing well sir,,thanks for asking, you and yours?

We  are fat and sassy. Feeling pretty good right now. Beef burgundy for sunday dinner

glad to hear all going well..
I bought some spare ribs Sunday, thinking a burgundy sauce with mushrooms and pearl onions..
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 4xDawn:

Genius!

I have a pretty good home stove, gas of course, and convection oven...but not restaurant grade! I'm going to try the torch!!

Thanks so much!
View All Quotes
I need some guidance on crusting a filet with Gorgonzola. I've had it a few times at a local restaurant, LOVE it and want to make it, and have looked up several recipes.

My issue is with the temp of the meat. I'm afraid I'll go over while I broil the cheese crust. I'm a rare to mid rare junkie.  Any guidance would be very appreciated.

TIA!

commercial kitchens have top heat live flame broilers with multiple gas jets that are extremely hot and that cheese melts in seconds. IF you're using an electric top broiler while hot..it is not as hot as gas and If its gas, by no means enough heat out of 1/3 the gets in the commercial units..
if you're doing this on an out door grill, again. not going to work and not continue to cook the filet.

so
use a propane torch to toast your cheese.

Genius!

I have a pretty good home stove, gas of course, and convection oven...but not restaurant grade! I'm going to try the torch!!

Thanks so much!

Genius

yes, been telling the world that for the better part of 60 years and on one listens..
Thank you
Chef
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:02:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xDawn] [#3]

Genius

yes, been telling the world that for the better part of 60 years and on one listens..
Thank you
Chef
View All Quotes
I need some guidance on crusting a filet with Gorgonzola. I've had it a few times at a local restaurant, LOVE it and want to make it, and have looked up several recipes.

My issue is with the temp of the meat. I'm afraid I'll go over while I broil the cheese crust. I'm a rare to mid rare junkie.  Any guidance would be very appreciated.

TIA!

commercial kitchens have top heat live flame broilers with multiple gas jets that are extremely hot and that cheese melts in seconds. IF you're using an electric top broiler while hot..it is not as hot as gas and If its gas, by no means enough heat out of 1/3 the gets in the commercial units..
if you're doing this on an out door grill, again. not going to work and not continue to cook the filet.

so

Genius!

Thanks so much!

Genius

Thank you
Chef

Follow up question, I've looked into "Gorgonzola" and wonder if you can offer advice as to the best type to use with meat, and any tips on the best places to find this cheese. I've only looked at Costco (because I was there) and a small market by my home, and haven't found it yet. I'm sure it will be at one one of the larger markets here. Are there different types, or a specific type I should be looking for, for this application? (soft/hard...etc)

Super excited to surprise the fam!!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:52:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Question for the Chef,

I've tried making my own tempura  batter fried fish and recently fried soft shell crab.    What is the secret in not getting the fish or crab stuck to the metal fry basket after it's done cooking?   I've tried several store bought mixes and it never comes out as good as a fish n chip place.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:32:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#5]
Originally Posted By 556fmj:
Question for the Chef,

I've tried making my own tempura  batter fried fish and recently fried soft shell crab.    What is the secret in not getting the fish or crab stuck to the metal fry basket after it's done cooking?   I've tried several store bought mixes and it never comes out as good as a fish n chip place.
View Quote

beer
seasoned rice flour (or wheat flour if you must).
bit of baking powder(not enough and it will be gummy, too much and it will pop like a balloon)
mix and keep CHILLED

toss product in some of the seasoned flour LIGHTLY,,shake it off well

dip into cold batter, covering thoroughly
LAY item into the hot grease slowly to avoid back splash, fingers work best!! it takes a bit of patients and lack of fear of the burn..
(remember your fingers are covered in batter, it will cook long before your fingers start cooking)

it should be cooking  on one end before you let it go and should float away a bit as you release it.

It will probably be needing turning after a few minutes,

cook small batches to avoid clumping or forcing against
sides of the POT/Fryer

Basket, we dont need no stinkin baskets
use a propper spider strainer

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:39:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Follow up question, I've looked into "Gorgonzola" and wonder if you can offer advice as to the best type to use with meat, and any tips on the best places to find this cheese. I've only looked at Costco (because I was there) and a small market by my home, and haven't found it yet. I'm sure it will be at one one of the larger markets here. Are there different types, or a specific type I should be looking for, for this application? (soft/hard...etc)

View All Quotes

TIA!

so

Genius!

Thanks so much!

Genius

Thank you
Chef

you're probably going to need a good deli or Whole Foods(lefty Libertarian but, what the hell) or other higher end grocer.
brands? couldn't tell you, far too many and many are only regional distributors for imported products..probably 200 makers if not 87.
All are gong to be very similar as Gorganzola, Roqufort, Gruyere and other "branded" or "spec'd" cheeses are Licensed by associations and have to meet
standards to maintain the label, proper bacteria's used in their growth and control measures used in aging..Cheese is up there with liquor in regulations concerning
manufacturing..

Chef
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:57:15 AM EDT
[#7]
There is a "Whole Foods" market, and other like it (Mothers, Sprouts) everywhere here. I generally don't shop those stores unless I'm looking for something specif...like Gorgonzola! Thanks yet again for the advice.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:21:39 AM EDT
[#8]

you're going to want to reduce your moisture a bit, banana have a lot more water than you'd think..ad now it won't be yellow nor should it taste like burnt bananas.

or try this

Crust:

1 1/4 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
1/2 cup ground walnuts
5 tablespoons butter, melted

Filling:
4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/8 cups white sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup banana liqueur
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Topping:
1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
3 tablespoons cold water
1 cup milk
1/3 cup white sugar
4 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups heavy cream, chilled
12 vanilla wafer cookies

Directions

1.Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease the sides of a 9 inch springform pan. In a medium bowl, mix together the vanilla wafer crumbs, ground walnuts, and melted butter. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan.

2.In a large bowl, stir cream cheese to soften. Mix together 1 1/8 cup sugar and flour; stir into the cream cheese until smooth. Stir in eggs, one at a time, mixing until well blended after each one. Stir in sour cream, mashed banana, banana liqueur, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla. Pour over the crust in the springform pan.

3.Cover the bottom of the outside of the cheesecake pan with aluminum foil to prevent water from the water bath from seeping in. Place springform pan inside a larger pan. Place the whole thing into the preheated oven, and fill the outer pan with hot water.

4.Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven. After the time is up, turn the oven off, but leave door closed. Leave cheesecake in the unopened oven for 1 hour. Before removing from the water bath. Run a knife around the outer edge of the cake to keep it from shrinking away from the center and cracking. Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled, at least 3 hours, or overnight.

5.In a small bowl, sprinkle the unflavored gelatin over the cold water, and set aside to soften. Heat milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until hot but not boiling. Meanwhile, whisk together 1/3 cup sugar and egg yolks until smooth and frothy. Whisk about 1/3 of the hot milk into the egg yolk mixture, then pour the yolk mixture into the pan with the remaining milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a spatula, making sure that the mixture does not burn on the bottom, until it is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Stir the softened gelatin into the hot pastry cream until dissolved, then stir in vanilla. Pour into a bowl, place a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface, and refrigerate until cooled, about 1 hour.

6.When the pastry cream is cooled, whip heavy cream just past soft peaks. Stir pastry cream to soften, then fold in the whipped cream. Place vanilla wafers on top of the cooled cheesecake, then spread the vanilla cream over the entire top. Chill until serving. Run a wet knife around the outer edge of the cake before removing the sides for a cleaner look.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sigp226:
Okay, here's a bit of a technical question fer ya.

I want to make a banana cheesecake with strawberry topping.

I plan to use my normal amount of sour cream and heavy cream to make banana mush and put that in the batter. It cooks in a bath of two cups of water for 60 minutes at 325 F. Then I prop the oven door open, turn off the heat, and let it cool in the oven for 60 minutes.

My concern is that instead of a yaller and tasty cheesecake, it'll turn brown and taste like burnt bananas.

Thoughts?

you're going to want to reduce your moisture a bit, banana have a lot more water than you'd think..ad now it won't be yellow nor should it taste like burnt bananas.

or try this

Crust:

1 1/4 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
1/2 cup ground walnuts
5 tablespoons butter, melted

Filling:
4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/8 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup banana liqueur
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Topping:
1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
3 tablespoons cold water
1 cup milk
1/3 cup white sugar
4 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups heavy cream, chilled
12 vanilla wafer cookies

Directions

1.Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease the sides of a 9 inch springform pan. In a medium bowl, mix together the vanilla wafer crumbs, ground walnuts, and melted butter. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan.

2.In a large bowl, stir cream cheese to soften. Mix together 1 1/8 cup sugar and flour; stir into the cream cheese until smooth. Stir in eggs, one at a time, mixing until well blended after each one. Stir in sour cream, mashed banana, banana liqueur, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla. Pour over the crust in the springform pan.

3.Cover the bottom of the outside of the cheesecake pan with aluminum foil to prevent water from the water bath from seeping in. Place springform pan inside a larger pan. Place the whole thing into the preheated oven, and fill the outer pan with hot water.

4.Bake for 45 minutes in the preheated oven. After the time is up, turn the oven off, but leave door closed. Leave cheesecake in the unopened oven for 1 hour. Before removing from the water bath. Run a knife around the outer edge of the cake to keep it from shrinking away from the center and cracking. Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled, at least 3 hours, or overnight.

5.In a small bowl, sprinkle the unflavored gelatin over the cold water, and set aside to soften. Heat milk in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until hot but not boiling. Meanwhile, whisk together 1/3 cup sugar and egg yolks until smooth and frothy. Whisk about 1/3 of the hot milk into the egg yolk mixture, then pour the yolk mixture into the pan with the remaining milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a spatula, making sure that the mixture does not burn on the bottom, until it is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Stir the softened gelatin into the hot pastry cream until dissolved, then stir in vanilla. Pour into a bowl, place a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface, and refrigerate until cooled, about 1 hour.

6.When the pastry cream is cooled, whip heavy cream just past soft peaks. Stir pastry cream to soften, then fold in the whipped cream. Place vanilla wafers on top of the cooled cheesecake, then spread the vanilla cream over the entire top. Chill until serving. Run a wet knife around the outer edge of the cake before removing the sides for a cleaner look.

I used my base recipe with two bananas and 1/4 cup liqueur. I added 3 tablespoons of flour because of your warning about the extra liquid. Very tasty.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_163/1677558_chocolate_with_vanilla_fudge_pg__3___see_page_2_for_slight_adjustment_to_recipe.html&page=3#i53415284

Thank you, again.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#9]

I  

]

You're welcome, looks very good
Chef
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#10]
There is a "Whole Foods" market, and other like it (Mothers, Sprouts) everywhere here. I generally don't shop those stores unless I'm looking for something specif...like Gorgonzola! Thanks yet again for the advice.
View Quote

You're very welcome
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 4:08:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks Chef for the recipe and tips on the tempura batter for fish.

I'll give a shot next time
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:23:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 556fmj:
Thanks Chef for the recipe and tips on the tempura batter for fish.

I'll give a shot next time
View Quote

you're welcome. Cod, Shrimp, Scallops, Oysters..all good!
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Hankerin for some swordfish steak tonight. Got a good recipe or 2?

thanks!
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By cccpNyC:
Hankerin for some swordfish steak tonight. Got a good recipe or 2?

thanks!
View Quote

Dinner

tonite...

SURE!

1 orange, peeled, sectioned, and cut into bite-size
1/2 cup canned pineapple chunks, undrained
1/4 cup diced fresh mango
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
3 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon diced red bell pepper
2 teaspoons white sugar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon pineapple juice concentrate, thawed
1 1/2 pounds swordfish steaks

Make the salsa: In a medium-size bowl, combine oranges, pineapple chunks, mango, minced jalapenos, 3 tablespoons orange juice, diced red bell pepper, sugar, and cilantro. Mix well, and refrigerate covered.

In a non-reactive bowl, mix 1/2 cup orange juice, olive oil, cayenne pepper, and pineapple juice concentrate. Place swordfish steaks in bowl, and turn to coat well. Marinate the swordfish in the mixture for 30 minutes.

Prepare an outside grill with oiled rack set 6 inches from the heat source. On a gas grill, set the heat to medium-high.

Grill the swordfish on each side for a total time of about 12 to 15 minutes, until opaque in the center. Serve the grilled fish with the salsa.

OR

1 cucumber - peeled, seeded, and minced
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
salt to taste

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup tomato-based chili sauce
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 pounds swordfish steaks, cut 1 1/2-inches thick
2 teaspoons olive oil

1 lemon, thinly sliced

Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil the grate.

Stir the cucumber, sour cream, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a small bowl until combined. Season to taste with salt, and refrigerate until ready to serve. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Pour in the chili sauce, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes to blend the flavors. Season with black pepper, and remove from the heat.

brush the swordfish steaks on all sides with the 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Cook on the preheated grill until the fish is no longer translucent in the center, and easily flakes with a fork,. Baste with the chili sauce while grilling. Serve the swordfish with lemon slices and the cucumber sauce.

hope I made he time constraints

CHEF
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:14:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cccpNyC] [#15]

1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
salt to taste

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons olive oil

1 lemon, thinly sliced

Stir the cucumber, sour cream, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a small bowl until combined. Season to taste with salt, and refrigerate until ready to serve. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Pour in the chili sauce, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes to blend the flavors. Season with black pepper, and remove from the heat.

brush the swordfish steaks on all sides with the 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Cook on the preheated grill until the fish is no longer translucent in the center, and easily flakes with a fork,. Baste with the chili sauce while grilling. Serve the swordfish with lemon slices and the cucumber sauce.

hope I made the time constraints

CHEF
View Quote

Awesomesauce.

prep work all done on this one, cucs, onions all chopped, lemon sliced and zested, grilling sauce made.
going to go with some sauteed cremini shrooms.  

now I'm going to crack open a beer, and chill a little bit before firing up the grill.

thanks again. I'll ETA after it's done.

Dinner is done.
Amazing. Simply amazing. I had my doubts on the cucumber sour cream sauce(I guess a sauce right? or a dip?) but it was really good. Suuuuper rich, but darn tasty.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Awesomesauce.

prep work all done on this one, cucs, onions all chopped, lemon sliced and zested, grilling sauce made.

now I'm going to crack open a beer, and chill a little bit before firing up the grill.

Dinner is done.
Amazing. Simply amazing. I had my doubts on the cucumber sour cream sauce(I guess a sauce right? or a dip?) but it was really good. Suuuuper rich, but darn tasty.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc284/cccpNyC/0506152202_zpsj8mchde5.jpg
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc284/cccpNyC/0506152202b_zpsuc0udlag.jpg
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc284/cccpNyC/0506152202a_zpsxawe6vga.jpg

View All Quotes

1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
salt to taste

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons olive oil

1 lemon, thinly sliced

hope I made the time constraints

CHEF

Awesomesauce.

Dinner is done.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc284/cccpNyC/0506152202_zpsj8mchde5.jpg
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc284/cccpNyC/0506152202b_zpsuc0udlag.jpg
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc284/cccpNyC/0506152202a_zpsxawe6vga.jpg

Bravo...excellent presentation,,,job well done.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Got a good chiken recipe, preferably a saute or bake?

I fail at chicken, always manage to dry it out
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 2:32:42 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

get a GOOD thermometer and check your internals 160 degrees, period...

there's dozens of chicken recipes here and in the orginal thread..but

I will be back much later to post one or two new ones..

Chef
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

get a GOOD thermometer and check your internals at the leg joints 160 degrees, period...

there's dozens of chicken recipes here and in the orginal thread..but

I will be back much later to post one or two new ones..

Chef

2 x roasted chicken

1 (4 pound) whole chicken
1 cup margarine, softened
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 pinch dried rosemary

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Rinse (10% white vinegar and salt water solution) rinse with cole water and pat chicken thoroughly dry with paper or cloth towels. Mix margarine, garlic salt, black pepper, thyme, parsley, and rosemary in a bowl and rub the outside of the chicken thoroughly with the margarine mixture. Place any remaining margarine mixture into the cavity of the chicken. Place chicken into a glass or Steel baking dish.

Bake chicken in the preheated oven until browned and the juices run clear, about 2 hours. An instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh, not touching bone, should read at least 160 degrees

OR

1 lime, juiced
1 apple, sliced
1 (5 pound) whole chicken, giblets removed
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chicken seasoning (such as Grill Mates® Montreal Chicken Seasoning)
1 tablespoon ground thyme
1 tablespoon dried sage
1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
1/4 teaspoon dried mint flakes  (optional)
1/2 cup softened butter, cut into teaspoon-size chunks
1 (32 fluid ounce) container chicken broth
1 onion, cut into chunks
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Sprinkle lime juice over the apple slices. Stuff apples into the cavity of the chicken.

Mix 2 cloves garlic, chicken seasoning, thyme, sage, paprika, and mint together in a bowl. Add butter to the garlic mixture; gently toss to coat the butter in the herb mixture. Stuff about 2/3 of the butter pieces under the skin. Coat the outside of the chicken with the remaining butter.

Combine chicken broth, onion, and 2 cloves garlic in a roasting pan. Put chicken onto a rack in the roasting pan with the breast down.

Roast chicken, basting with pan juices every 10 to 15 minutes, in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Flip the chicken and continue cooking until no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, about 1 hour and 15 minutes more. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 165 degrees. Remove the chicken from the oven, cover with a doubled sheet of aluminum foil, and allow to rest in a warm area for 10 minutes before carving.

Pour the juices from the pan into a saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir flour into the juices; cook and stir until the juices thicken into a gravy, about 5 minutes. Serve with the chicken.OR use your frozen roux cubes...

A Pecan chicken

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons real maple syrup
1 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

in a shallow pan combine pecans, flour, and salt.

Brush chicken breasts all over with maple syrup. Coat chicken breasts completely with nut mixture.

In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and vegetable oil. Add chicken, and cook for 12 to 15 minutes until chicken is browned on all sides and tender.
with an internal 160 degrees.

great with the following chutney

2 cups fresh cranberries
2 cups white sugar
3 tablespoons water, or more as needed  
1 large Granny Smith apple - peeled, cored and chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 tablespoon grated orange zest  
1 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup pecans  (optional)
1 cup golden raisins
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 pinch salt, or to taste

get that thermometer and use it..
remember on whole chickens, using a bayonet fork or filet knife to poke your chicken at the leg/thigh and thigh/breast
and watch for CLEAR Juices, if there's a wee bit of blood..turn off your oven and let it rest 10-15 min and check again until you've got CLEAR Juice.
also squeezing the leg at the knee joint you'll learn were you get a slight tear of meat from the bone, you're probably pretty close if not finished as well.
Old school cooks can press on a chicken or duct at the leg and the wing and tell you its done

really old school cooks can stick a finger up it's behind and tell you where it was born..
once you learn with property cooked chicken looks and importantly feels like,,you're perfect nearly every time.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:54:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh, my wife is so gonna eat this up

A Pecan chicken

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons real maple syrup
1 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

in a shallow pan combine pecans, flour, and salt.

Brush chicken breasts all over with maple syrup. Coat chicken breasts completely with nut mixture.

In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and vegetable oil. Add chicken, and cook for 12 to 15 minutes until chicken is browned on all sides and tender.
with an internal 160 degrees.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:00:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: billyhill] [#21]
Need some help with marinades, chicken in particular but there are big picture issues across the board...

What are the "do nots" of marinating chicken. I have some chicken in the fridge with, lemon juice, oregano, salt, pepper, olive oil and white wine. I second guessed myself after adding the wine and wonder if I made a mistake adding it for an overnight marinade.

Help me sensei, what are the thall shall not's of marinades and brining.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:31:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#22]
Need some help with marinades, chicken in particular but there are big picture issues across the board...

What are the "do nots" of marinating chicken. I have some chicken in the fridge with, lemon juice, oregano, salt, pepper, olive oil and white wine. I second guessed myself after adding the wine and wonder if I made a mistake adding it for an overnight marinade.

Help me sensei, what are the thall shall not's of marinades and brining.
View Quote

I am going to do something I have rarely done...but seeing as how this is so succinct an explanation I am sending you to amazing ribs for your answers...pretty much all I would type here but far more information than I'd probably give you
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#23]
That is a pretty good article, I am still digesting it, pardon the pun.

Made Char Sui for dinner tonight with a "Chinese BBQ" sauce. Lots of Five-Spice Powder, not half bad. Will take some tweaking to be what I want it to be, but it is pretty good. Marinated the pork in a basic brine recipe (online) and some ingredient got me thinking about the Char Sui Banh Mi at my favorite Viet restaurant. started tweaking with Five spice and whole star anise. Let it marinade 14 hours and roasted in the oven for about 325 for 4 hours. Found a Chinese BBQ sauce recipe online while the meat was cooking. Basted the meat toward the end of cooking and tossed finished pulled pork with remainder of sauce mixed with juices from finished meat. Not bad at all.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:39:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Chef-

First up, thanks for being such a great resource for this forum. I really need to spend more time in here!

After checking the thread indexes and finding nothing there, my question pertains to... CRAWFISH! Love me some crawfish, but finding them live in the DC area seems to be a challenge. Thoughts on ordering crawfish online, live, and having them shipped? I've been looking at doing this and throwing a crawfish boil, but don't know anyone who's done it, and don't want to spend money on it only to end up with subpar product. Anything I should take into consideration before pulling the trigger? Thoughts on purging and prep? Reputable sources for the tasty bastages?
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 6:51:35 AM EDT
[#25]
That is a pretty good article, I am still digesting it, pardon the pun.

Made Char Sui for dinner tonight with a "Chinese BBQ" sauce. Lots of Five-Spice Powder, not half bad. Will take some tweaking to be what I want it to be, but it is pretty good. Marinated the pork in a basic brine recipe (online) and some ingredient got me thinking about the Char Sui Banh Mi at my favorite Viet restaurant. started tweaking with Five spice and whole star anise. Let it marinade 14 hours and roasted in the oven for about 325 for 4 hours. Found a Chinese BBQ sauce recipe online while the meat was cooking. Basted the meat toward the end of cooking and tossed finished pulled pork with remainder of sauce mixed with juices from finished meat. Not bad at all.
View Quote

Sounds GREAT...

hope the article helps, as I said it's pretty much got the subject covered in spades..
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:12:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Gloworm19:
Chef-

First up, thanks for being such a great resource for this forum. I really need to spend more time in here!

After checking the thread indexes and finding nothing there, my question pertains to... CRAWFISH! Love me some crawfish, but finding them live in the DC area seems to be a challenge. Thoughts on ordering crawfish online, live, and having them shipped? I've been looking at doing this and throwing a crawfish boil, but don't know anyone who's done it, and don't want to spend money on it only to end up with subpar product. Anything I should take into consideration before pulling the trigger? Thoughts on purging and prep? Reputable sources for the tasty bastages?
View Quote

sourcing,,,your best bet is asking the Chef at your local "seafood" place or calling a fish house in VaBeach and ask who their best fish purveyor is
then go thru a professional local vendor to source a bushel or 2 of crawfish for you...they'll insure it's freshness and source. There are probably a dozen companies that'll ship them but weight. wet, live animals..probably going to be pricy. here are some coonazz' out of Houston who ship live everywhere..sorry I dont know anyone personally...

Prep

1. Empty live crawfish into a large tub or sink filled with cold, salted water.

2. Fill up a second sink or tub with cold, salted water as well. Transfer the crawfish back and forth, changing the water out each time, until the water is clear. Use a strainer with a handle so you don’t get pinched.

3. While rinsing the crawfish cull out any dead ones you may find.

4. Make sure crawfish are the last thing you add to your boil (after the corn, sausage and potatoes) before taking it all off the heat.

5. To peel the boiled crawfish, first twist to remove the head, then lift up the center fin on the tail to “clean” it before you shuck it.

for your sausage, I recommend Aidells Andouille Sausage, it should be available at your local krogers or safeway owned store. also available thru Aidells.com.

hope this helps and Laissez les bons temps rouler
Chef.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 4:16:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Hi Chef!

I made a traditional "hot brown" tonight for the first time. I used turkey I cooked off last night. I  really think it would have been better with ham.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 7:25:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Hi Chef!

I made a traditional "hot brown" tonight for the first time. I used turkey I cooked off last night. I  really think it would have been better with ham.
View Quote

Well, you made it in California..that right there changes the flavor....

A hot brown, aka Kentucky Hot Brown originated in the Brown Hotel in Louisville in 1926, a variation of Welsh Rarebit is made with
turkey covered with mornay sauce, topped with Parmesan and toasted under an open broiler and finally topped with 2 strips of bacon and some diced pimento SOME People use prepared "cheddar" cheese sauce to make the Hot Brown sandwich and it makes it
BADLY....
Some use American cheese which would be blasphemous as there is no such thing as American cheese, just American cheese food, made with mostly oil
and similar to candle wax..try lighting one on fire SO...what'd you do?

Chef

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 4:22:48 AM EDT
[#29]

A hot brown, aka Kentucky Hot Brown originated in the Brown Hotel in Louisville in 1926, a variation of Welsh Rarebit is made with
turkey covered with mornay sauce, topped with Parmesan and toasted under an open broiler and finally topped with 2 strips of bacon and some diced pimento SOME People use prepared "cheddar" cheese sauce to make the Hot Brown sandwich and it makes it
BADLY....
Some use American cheese which would be blasphemous as there is no such thing as American cheese, just American cheese food, made with mostly oil

Chef

View All Quotes
Hi Chef!

BADLY....

Chef

I made a bechamel sauce with sharp cheddar, (jack***) and shaved Parmesan, then sprinkled the shaved parm on top, before it hit the broiler.

***I made a mistake at the market with proportions, I was tripling the recipe and didn't buy enough cheddar. I was one part under on the sharp cheddar, so had to decide between Jack, Swiss, mozzarella, or a mixed blend of cheese, which is what I had in the fridge to complete the sauce. I didn't want to go back to the store. I hope I chose wisely...? it was pretty tasty, but I still think it would have been better with Ham.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 6:25:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#30]

I made a bechamel sauce with sharp cheddar, (jack***) and shaved Parmesan, then sprinkled the shaved parm on top, before it hit the broiler.

***I made a mistake at the market with proportions, I was tripling the recipe and didn't buy enough cheddar. I was one part under on the sharp cheddar, so had to decide between Jack, Swiss, mozzarella, or a mixed blend of cheese, which is what I had in the fridge to complete the sauce. I didn't want to go back to the store. I hope I chose wisely...? it was pretty tasty, but I still think it would have been better with Ham.
View All Quotes
Hi Chef!

BADLY....

Chef

Did you know we didn't start eating turkey as a daily use item until the 1960's LATE 1960's and it didn't
become popular until the mid 80's? Before that it was predominantly holiday's only. Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Imagine planning your business, a LIVE Product business based on 2 weeks a year, No one owned an extra freezer until the 70's
they were like TV's, upper middle class and the wealthy, average Joe Sixpak nope..

Making it with ham would make it a Croque Monsieur.
When I owned my restaurant, it was one o the most popular luncheon items..along with chicken fried filet mignon with vodka cream gravy

for 4
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups hot milk
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pinch nutmeg
12 ounces Gruyere, grated
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
16 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed
Dijon mustard
8 ounces baked Virginia ham, sliced but not paper thin

preheat over to 400
Melt the butter over low heat in a small saucepan and add the flour all at once, stirring with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes. Slowly pour the hot milk into the butter–flour mixture and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thickened. Off the heat add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, 1/2 cup grated Gruyere, and the Parmesan and set aside.

To toast the bread, place the slices on 2 baking sheets and bake for 5 minutes. Turn each slice and bake for another 2 minutes, until toasted.

Lightly brush half the toasted breads with mustard, add a slice of ham to each, and sprinkle with half the remaining Gruyere. Top with another piece of toasted bread. Slather the tops with the cheese sauce, sprinkle with the remaining Gruyere, and bake the sandwiches for 5 minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the topping is bubbly and lightly browned. Serve hot.

Chef..
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Chef... rednecks had freezers then, but filled with venison
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By TheWind:
View Quote

wind

your're a Jew in New Jersey..WTH do you know about rednecks????
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:36:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheWind] [#33]

wind

View All Quotes

wind

I live in the redneck capital of South Jersey, by choice. I like rednecks they are honest and don't judge.  HurricaineAllie's new food adventures are sauteed shrimp and/ scallops with rice or pasta. She is learning how to take what we have and mix it up. We did it with diced tomatoes and onions over rice, garlic and butter over angel hair
Oh and several small towns in deeper woods have Hebrew names here... early settlers were Jewish farmers
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 3:05:39 PM EDT
[#34]

I live in the redneck capital of South Jersey, by choice. I like rednecks they are honest and don't judge.  HurricaineAllie's new food adventures are sauteed shrimp and/ scallops with rice or pasta. She is learning how to take what we have and mix it up. We did it with diced tomatoes and onions over rice, garlic and butter over angel hair
Oh and several small towns in deeper woods have Hebrew names here... early settlers were Jewish farmers
View All Quotes

wind

Shaloam....Pine Barrens? Seen the monster?

Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#35]

BADLY....

Chef

View All Quotes
Hi Chef!

BADLY....

Chef

i'm not far from louisville.  the recipe i've always heard called for a slice of tomato rather than pimento.  i prefer mine without either, on homemade sourdough bread
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By MEDIKEIGHTED:

i'm not far from louisville.  the recipe i've always heard called for a slice of tomato rather than pimento.  i prefer mine without either, on homemade sourdough bread
View All Quotes
Hi Chef!

BADLY....

Chef

there are many variations..mines from research, sort of like Saratoga Chips coming from a hotel in Saratoga NY, not from Lays...
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#37]

there are many variations..mines from research, sort of like Saratoga Chips coming from a hotel in Saratoga NY, not from Lays...
View All Quotes
Hi Chef!

BADLY....

Chef

i have no doubt yours is historically accurate.  like the mint julep just before the Derby or honey baked hams around Christmas, it's a local tradition the louisville tv stations, entertainment magazines, etc. try to put a new spin on every year
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#38]

i have no doubt yours is historically accurate.  like the mint julep just before the Derby or honey baked hams around Christmas, it's a local tradition the louisville tv stations, entertainment magazines, etc. try to put a new spin on every year
View All Quotes
Hi Chef!

BADLY....

Chef

never thought you did   everything is new every other generation..
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Earlier in this thread you said to buy real wine if a recipe calls for it. So... I have a white wine cream sauce recipe that I found, to serve with stuffed fish. What variety of white wine do I need to buy? When we drink whites, it's usually a riesling, so I don't have any idea what to get.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By watercat:
Earlier in this thread you said to buy real wine if a recipe calls for it. So... I have a white wine cream sauce recipe that I found, to serve with stuffed fish. What variety of white wine do I need to buy? When we drink whites, it's usually a riesling, so I don't have any idea what to get.
View Quote

wine...

“… good company, good wine, good welcome, can make good people.” — William Shakespeare, Henry VIII.

“Good wine is a necessity of life for me.” — Thomas Jefferson.

“In vino veritas.” — a proverb (Latin for “In wine, truth”) quoted by Alcibiades in Plato’s Symposium.

“Sorrow can be alleviated by good sleep, a bath and a glass of wine.” — Thomas Aquinas.

Wine, madam, is God’s next best gift to man. — Ambrose Bierce, The Devil’s Dictionary.

“Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do.” — Ecclesiastes 9:7

“Once… in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were forced to live on nothing but food and water for days.” — W. C. Fields, My Little Chickadee.

“Wine is the most healthful and most hygenic of beverages” — Louis Pasteur

“A meal without wine is like a day without sunshine.” — Anthelme Brillat Savarin

“Both to the rich and poor, wine is the happy antidote for sorrow.” — Euripides

“It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking: the arrival of a friend; one’s present or future thirst; the excellence of the wine; or any other reason.” — Latin saying

“A waltz and a glass of wine invite an encore.” — Johann Strauss

“Good wine is a good familiar creature if it well used.” — William Shakespeare

“Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” — Benjamin Franklin

“Wine cheereth God and man.” — Judges 9:13

“No thing more excellent nor more valuable than wine was ever granted mankind by God.” — Plato

“Wine rejoices the heart of man and joy is the mother of all virtues.” — Johann Wolfgang van Goethe

“Wine is bottled poetry.” — Robert Louis Stevenson

“My dear girl, there are some things that just aren’t done, such as drinking Dom Perignon ’53 above the temperature of 38 degrees Fahrenheit. That’s just as bad as listening to the Beatles without earmuffs!” — Sean Connery as James Bond, in Goldfinger (1964)

“Sparkling Muscatel. One of the finest wines of Idaho.” — Waiter (Steve Martin), in The Muppet Movie (1979)

“I was in love with a beautiful blonde once. She drove me to drink; that’s the one thing I’m indebted to her for.” — W. C. Fields, in Never Give a Sucker an Even Break

“What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?” — Larson E. Whipsnade (W. C. Fields), in You Can’t Cheat an Honest Man (1939)

Dry white wines are commonly used for cooking when you don’t want to add sweetness to the dish. As you cook the wine the alcohol will evaporate. This extracts the flavor profile of the wine and adds it to the dish. You’ll want to be careful not to over-extract the wine or add too much to the dish making it difficult to reduce. Using a drinking wine also makes it a convenient wine pairing with your meal as the flavors already naturally compliment one another. As a general rule, dry white wines for cooking should be matched to lighter dishes such as chicken, pork, veal, soup, seafood, shellfish, and vegetables

Use thicker and intensely flavored dry whites, such as Chardonnay, for making cream sauces, gravy and chicken. There are many white wines that are rich and creamy, however Chardonnay is probably the most widely available. Cooking with wine in a cream sauce or gravy requires a bit more expertise as it’s difficult to balance acidity or monitor how much of the wine has reduced. This could lead to a sour sauce or residual alcohol, both of which can ruin a dish. It’s especially important in this case to regularly taste your food while cooking.

Crisp dry white wines, such as Pinot Grigio, add a fruity, mineral character that is perfect for cooking seafood. A little bit of acidity can cut through a fattier fish, but be careful not to get too acidic as it’s easy to over-extract when cooking. If you’re feeling creative, try any of these other varietals

Sauvignon Blanc is a classic light wine with fruity, herbal and floral flavors that add an amazing dimension when cooking vegetables. It’s among the easiest wines to cook with, just splash the wine in the sauté pan to deglaze. Try artichoke, Mediterranean-style tomato dishes, swiss chard, eggplant, garlic, bell peppers and mushrooms. Add a little butter and lemon for extra deliciousness and the perfect balance of acid! Any of these varietals also have similar qualities

•For cream sauces, cook the wine separately and reduce to half of what you started with. Once it’s been cooked down, add the cream. Most recipes call for a 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of wine.
•After sautéing vegetables, splash a few tablespoons of wine into the pan to deglaze.
•For shellfish, add wine to the broth to steam or poach shellfish (mussels, clams, oysters).
•You can add a few tablespoons of wine to marinades to help tenderize the meat and caramelize in cooking.
•The longer you cook the wine, the less alcohol will be in the dish. It can take as long as 2.5 hours of simmering to completely remove the alcohol.

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 7:54:52 AM EDT
[#41]

wine...

"Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” — Benjamin Franklin

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By watercat:

wine...

"Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” — Benjamin Franklin

We need a wineglass toast icon. =)

I love the quotes!

Thank you Chef - I'll try to remember to report back once I actually make the dish later this week or weekend.

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Hey Chef, I think it was 1978, Dale Emmons from Kentucky a National officer for the Young Democrats had me appointed an Honorary Kentucky Colonel
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#43]

Chef
View Quote

Got a recommendation on a good thermometer?
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By dcs12345:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dcs12345:

Chef

get one that goes to 400 degrees or more..it'll be built to handle your needs..Earlier we discussed in depth on electronic V spring type etc..Local
restaurant supply will have commercial grade pocket thermometer...best I got..

Chef.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Hey Chef, I think it was 1978, Dale Emmons from Kentucky a National officer for the Young Democrats had me appointed an Honorary Kentucky Colonel
View Quote

did the white suit, white hat, cheap cigar and mint julep come with it?
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#46]
I turned them down, I prefered my flannel shirt and jeans
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:12:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xDawn] [#47]

Did you know we didn't start eating turkey as a daily use item until the 1960's LATE 1960's and it didn't
become popular until the mid 80's? Before that it was predominantly holiday's only. Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Imagine planning your business, a LIVE Product business based on 2 weeks a year, No one owned an extra freezer until the 70's
they were like TV's, upper middle class and the wealthy, average Joe Sixpak nope..

When I owned my restaurant, it was one o the most popular luncheon items..along with chicken fried filet mignon with vodka cream gravy

for 4
2 cups hot milk
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Pinch nutmeg
Dijon mustard

preheat over to 400
Melt the butter over low heat in a small saucepan and add the flour all at once, stirring with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes. Slowly pour the hot milk into the butter–flour mixture and cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thickened. Off the heat add the salt, pepper, nutmeg, 1/2 cup grated Gruyere, and the Parmesan and set aside.

To toast the bread, place the slices on 2 baking sheets and bake for 5 minutes. Turn each slice and bake for another 2 minutes, until toasted.

Lightly brush half the toasted breads with mustard, add a slice of ham to each, and sprinkle with half the remaining Gruyere. Top with another piece of toasted bread. Slather the tops with the cheese sauce, sprinkle with the remaining Gruyere, and bake the sandwiches for 5 minutes. Turn on the broiler and broil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the topping is bubbly and lightly browned. Serve hot.

Chef..
View Quote

Oh god, I'm making that soon!

eta: One of my favorite all time game birds is pheasant,  and I haven't had it in over 20 years, because...where does one buy pheasant?? They don't live here, and... shooting at birds in my community would be frowned upon anyway.

Any thoughts on where I can purchase these delicious birds?

Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:37:19 AM EDT
[#48]

eta: One of my favorite all time game birds is pheasant,  and I haven't had it in over 20 years, because...where does one buy pheasant?? They don't live here, and... shooting at birds in my community would be frowned upon anyway.

View All Quotes

for 4
2 cups hot milk
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Pinch nutmeg
Dijon mustard

preheat over to 400

Chef..

Fossil Ffarms
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 4:40:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4xDawn] [#49]

Fossil Ffarms
View All Quotes

for 4
2 cups hot milk
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Pinch nutmeg
Dijon mustard

preheat over to 400

Chef..

Fossil Ffarms

Bookmarked!!

My kids wanted something different for lunch tomorrow at school, I made them french onion soup for their thermoses in the AM. Baguette croutons broiled with Gruyere in a baggie too.

First time I've made it from scratch, what an easy, and amazing tasting cheap soup to make. (Except the Gruyere) Sweet onions on low heat with butter for an hour and a half, with an occasional stir was the hardest part.

Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#50]

Bookmarked!!

My kids wanted something different for lunch tomorrow at school, I made them french onion soup for their thermoses in the AM. Baguette croutons broiled with Gruyere in a baggie too.

First time I've made it from scratch, what an easy, and amazing tasting cheap soup to make. (Except the Gruyere) Sweet onions on low heat with butter for an hour and a half, with an occasional stir was the hardest part.

View All Quotes

for 4
2 cups hot milk
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Pinch nutmeg
Dijon mustard

preheat over to 400

Chef..

Fossil Ffarms

Bookmarked!!

the simplest of peasant food from nearly all peoples can often be the sweetest reward..
Page / 39
ASK THE CHEF Part DEAUX (Page 29 of 39)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top