BCM
User Panel

ASK THE CHEF Part DEAUX (Page 26 of 39)
Page / 39
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:00:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:
Sorry,,I have meant to respon a couple of times and got side tracked.

Ive only done fresh coconuts a few times some times successful, other times not so much

To open the coconut, use the dull backside of a cleaver (make sure the sharp blade end is not facing the coconut, and that you are hitting the coconut with the back of the cleaver) and hold the coconut over a bowl. Tap the coconut firmly down the equator with the back of the cleaver, turning the coconut several times as you rap, until you hear (and see) it crack open.

or, If you don’t have or want to use a cleaver, wrap the coconut in a towel – one you don’t mind getting wet – and use a hammer to break it open.

Pry the two sides apart and drain the liquid in the bowl

Next, Put the coconut halves on a shelf in a preheated 400ºF for 20 minutes, which will help separated the meat from the shell. When the coconut halves are cool, use a flat-head screwdriver wedged in between the meat and shell to pry them apart.

Then take a vegetable peeler and remove the skin of the meat, then grate or grind the coconut meat, . For decoration, you can take a vegetable peeler and make thin strips, or grate the coconut with a metal grater into shreds. shreads can go on a baking sheet in a 200 degree oven for an 20-25 min to dry...bag and store on top shelf of refer or freeze..

you can also toast the coconut, spread the shredded coconut on an unlined baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350ºF oven for 12 – 18 minutes, stirring a few times while it’s cooking, so it toasts evenly. Remember, thinner strips will toast more quickly than thicker ones and you want

to keep it well tossed while toasting .

Chef

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By watercat:

How do you recommend getting coconut flesh out of the coconut? So far, the coconut is winning...

Sorry,,I have meant to respon a couple of times and got side tracked.

Ive only done fresh coconuts a few times some times successful, other times not so much

To open the coconut, use the dull backside of a cleaver (make sure the sharp blade end is not facing the coconut, and that you are hitting the coconut with the back of the cleaver) and hold the coconut over a bowl. Tap the coconut firmly down the equator with the back of the cleaver, turning the coconut several times as you rap, until you hear (and see) it crack open.

or, If you don’t have or want to use a cleaver, wrap the coconut in a towel – one you don’t mind getting wet – and use a hammer to break it open.

Pry the two sides apart and drain the liquid in the bowl

Next, Put the coconut halves on a shelf in a preheated 400ºF for 20 minutes, which will help separated the meat from the shell. When the coconut halves are cool, use a flat-head screwdriver wedged in between the meat and shell to pry them apart.

Then take a vegetable peeler and remove the skin of the meat, then grate or grind the coconut meat, . For decoration, you can take a vegetable peeler and make thin strips, or grate the coconut with a metal grater into shreds. shreads can go on a baking sheet in a 200 degree oven for an 20-25 min to dry...bag and store on top shelf of refer or freeze..

you can also toast the coconut, spread the shredded coconut on an unlined baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350ºF oven for 12 – 18 minutes, stirring a few times while it’s cooking, so it toasts evenly. Remember, thinner strips will toast more quickly than thicker ones and you want

to keep it well tossed while toasting .

Chef

Thanks Chef! After the effort with this one, I might stick to buying the bags of coconut from now on. But for $2, it seemed like a good deal!

Maybe the coconut is the problem, maybe it's too green/raw? We've been slicing out bits with a small paring knife and just eating them.    

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Why do I suck at cooking tofu?  Is the more expensive tofu worth it?  Any tips/tricks would be great.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:52:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By bssrf4:
Why do I suck at cooking tofu?  Is the more expensive tofu worth it?  Any tips/tricks would be great.
View Quote

tell me what's happening so we can see where you may be missing something..
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#4]

View All Quotes

I dry the tofu as directed, but it always seems to stick to the pan and rip apart.  Also, the texture is always off.  I usually cook it in olive oil.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:57:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I dry the tofu as directed, but it always seems to stick to the pan and rip apart.  Also, the texture is always off.  I usually cook it in olive oil.

View All Quotes

oils isn't hot enough...

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Chef, I need  carrot soup recipes. Got any recommendations?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By billyhill:
Chef, I need  carrot soup recipes. Got any recommendations?
View Quote

Billy..
I  have done some other soups along this line in both threads for other abundance veggies...check the index..

Ingredients

1/4 cup butter, cubed
2 1/2 cups sliced carrots OR Butternut, acorn, parsnips, pumpkin, zucchini
1 large potato, peeled and cubed (Optional)
1 cup chopped onion
1 stalk celery, chopped
 3 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions
1.Heat butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add carrots, potato, onion, celery, chicken broth, and ginger. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Uncover and cool for 15 minutes.
2.Transfer soup in batches to a food processor; blend until smooth. Return soup to the Dutch oven; stir in cream. Add curry powder, salt, and black pepper; cook over low heat until heated through, about 10 minutes.
this can be adjusted exponentially with little issue AND you can make the puree, freeze or can it and add the cream when reconstituting..

Thanks
Chef
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:57:03 AM EDT
[#9]
My search fu is weak, I tried.

Thanks Chef
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By billyhill:
My search fu is weak, I tried.

Thanks Chef
View Quote

no worries, you're welcome!

Chef
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:52:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Chef,

I've tried to make home-made macaroni and cheese 3 times recently, and each time had it come out bad. It comes out stringy and grainy, and not at all sauce-like. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Chef,
I've tried to make home-made macaroni and cheese 3 times recently, and each time had it come out bad. It comes out stringy and grainy, and not at all sauce-like. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
View Quote

first
try making it with a Parmesan, asageo and pecorino blend just toss into the hot pasta, add some fresh ground black pepper and

The reason it's coming out grainy is that most "shelf ready" cheddars contain LOTS of carrageen, same thing they make glue out of.
even 30 day aged cheese will give you the same result..you need a 90 day or better aged NATURAL Cheddar to get what you're looking for

that said

solution
make a cheese sauce either use a heavy cream or 1/2 and 1/2 50% reduction and add 30 day Shredded cheddar and Parmesan slowly allowing it to melt down into the hot cream
or
make a cheese sauce with milk, shredded cheddar cheese(I like swiss added as well) and a thickening agent roux
thicken the mild first THEN add shredded cheeses.
or best, simplest way that will give you what is truly a classic flavor of Kraft Mac N Cheese

use Velveeta, Land of Lakes or Kraft OLD English processed "cheddar" cheeses...the store brands are horrible and many wont melt down or will do the same stringy lumpy stuff your getting from cheap shelf cheddar.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#13]

first

try making it with a Parmesan, asageo and pecorino blend just toss into the hot pasta, add some fresh ground black pepper and

The reason it's coming out grainy is that most "shelf ready" cheddars contain LOTS of carrageen, same thing they make glue out of.

even 30 day aged cheese will give you the same result..you need a 90 day or better aged NATURAL Cheddar to get what you're looking for

that said

solution

make a cheese sauce either use a heavy cream or 1/2 and 1/2 50% reduction and add 30 day Shredded cheddar and Parmesan slowly allowing it to melt down into the hot cream

or

make a cheese sauce with milk, shredded cheddar cheese(I like swiss added as well) and a thickening agent roux

or best, simplest way that will give you what is truly a classic flavor of Kraft Mac N Cheese

use Velveeta, Land of Lakes or Kraft OLD English processed "cheddar" cheeses...the store brands are horrible and many wont melt down or will do the same stringy lumpy stuff your getting from cheap shelf cheddar.
View All Quotes

Chef,

Thanks!

first

that said

solution

or

Thanks Chef. The next time I make it I'll look for the 90-day cheddar.

I grew up making it with Velveeta and have been wondering if "fancy" mac and cheese tasted any better. So far, I like the Velveeta better, but I'm willing to try again!

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:43:24 PM EDT
[#14]

I grew up making it with Velveeta and have been wondering if "fancy" mac and cheese tasted any better. So far, I like the Velveeta better, but I'm willing to try again!

View All Quotes
Chef,

Thanks!

first

that said

solution
or

try tossing the hot pasta with the 3 cheese blend and some butter/black pepper..you'll love it..
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Hello Chef, HOw are you? HurricaneAllie is getting real good at making Mac-n-Cheese with Spam
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:23:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#16]
Originally Posted By TheWind:
Hello Chef, HOw are you? HurricaneAllie is getting real good at making Mac-n-Cheese with Spam
View Quote

I am OK...thank you, hope all well in your household as well..

Mac/cheese and Spam are a favored comfort food..you'd be surprised that it sells on a menu..
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Chef .

Please I need your help for diner tonight .

I have been following various recipes for braised meat. My biggest problem is the mean always comes out dry and the sauce is always thin and weak.

Can I get a good but simple recipe for braised meat for diner tonight . I have tried various cuts of meat and almost always it's still comes out dry.

Thanks for your help !!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#18]
We are doing good, just getting ready for Barry to destroy the world, I only need a 36 hour day
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Probably tooo late for dinner tonite, terribly sorry. Thread doesn't get the activity it once did...

braised beef chuck roast
2 pounds chuck roast
Salt
Black pepper
¼ cup bacon
1 onion
4 carrots
5 cloves garlic
2 cups beef stock
1 cup port or red wine
1 bay leaf
1 sprig thyme
4 Tbsp butter
Fresh parsley
Water

1. Buy the right cut of beef to braise.  
recipe is for a two-pound chuck roast.2lbs would braise for two to two and a half hours. If it were a three- or four-pound roast, It would braise for as long as three and a half to four hours. The key to good braised beef is sticking to the tougher cuts of meat which need long, slow and moist cooking.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees to begin, season the beef with salt, pepper and a bit of garlic.

2. Prep the veggies and other ingredients for the braised beef.
Cut the carrots into large chunks, so they take longer to cook. dice the onions to break down into the sauce. flatten a few garlic cloves with the side of your knife.
Cut the bacon into thick chunks. The parsley is for a garnish at the end, but chop it up now so it's ready later. Also, measure out the beef stock and port wine now.

3.  Brown the beef on all sides.
Heat up the braising pan or Dutch oven on the stove top to medium-high heat. Melt four tablespoons of butter in the pan. Begin searing the beef when the butter just starts to turn brown. Sear the beef on all sides until it is dark brown over most of the surface. Remove the beef to a plate while you perform the next step.

4.  Add the veggies and bacon to the braising pan. Fry the bacon, onions, carrots, and garlic in the pan using a plastic, Teflon or wooden spoon with a flat tip so that you can scrape some of the drippings off of the bottom. Once the onions begin to turn translucent and the bacon is browned, move onto the next step.

5. Add the beef broth and  wine to deglaze the pan. Stir and scrape at the bottom of the pan with the wooden spoon. Turn the heat off on the stove and put the browned beef back into the pan. If the liquid doesn't go halfway up the side of the beef, add a little water until it does. Put the bay leaf and the thyme in the pan, cover it, and put the pan into the oven. Set a timer for one hour.

6. After one hour, remove the braised beef.   remove lid, Use a pair of tongs to flip the roast. Put the lid back on and put it back in the oven. Set the timer for thirty minutes. After thirty minutes, flip it again. Then put it back in for thirty more minutes. After that time has elapsed, check the meat to see if it is fork-tender. If it is not, cook in additional thirty minute intervals until it is.

7.  Rest the braised beef and finish the sauce. Once it is fork-tender, remove the braised beef carefully from the juices and let it rest on a cutting board. Lightly drape or tent some aluminum foil. Remove the vegetables from the sauce with a slotted spoon and put them in the serving dish. Reduce the braising liquid until its thick. If the liquid is already flavorful or too salty, thicken it with a roux, arrowroot gelatin or last ditch, cornstarch and water mix rather than reducing it. Slice the braised beef and serve it with the vegetables and the sauce. Garnish with parsley.

I like to add additional carrots and cut up potatoes during the final 90 min of cooking rather than dealing with additional sides..or great with Mashed potatoes, over buttered egg noodles or even rice..

again sorry about the lateness,,maybe for next time..
CHEF
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:02:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Probably tooo late for dinner tonite, terribly sorry. Thread doesn't get the activity it once did...

braised beef chuck roast
2 pounds chuck roast
Salt
Black pepper
¼ cup bacon
1 onion
4 carrots
5 cloves garlic
2 cups beef stock
1 cup port or red wine
1 bay leaf
1 sprig thyme
4 Tbsp butter
Fresh parsley
Water

recipe is for a two-pound chuck roast.2lbs would braise for two to two and a half hours. If it were a three- or four-pound roast, It would braise for as long as three and a half to four hours. The key to good braised beef is sticking to the tougher cuts of meat which need long, slow and moist cooking.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees to begin, season the beef with salt, pepper and a bit of garlic.

Cut the carrots into large chunks, so they take longer to cook. dice the onions to break down into the sauce. flatten a few garlic cloves with the side of your knife.
Cut the bacon into thick chunks. The parsley is for a garnish at the end, but chop it up now so it's ready later. Also, measure out the beef stock and port wine now.

Heat up the braising pan or Dutch oven on the stove top to medium-high heat. Melt four tablespoons of butter in the pan. Begin searing the beef when the butter just starts to turn brown. Sear the beef on all sides until it is dark brown over most of the surface. Remove the beef to a plate while you perform the next step.

4.  Add the veggies and bacon to the braising pan. Fry the bacon, onions, carrots, and garlic in the pan using a plastic, Teflon or wooden spoon with a flat tip so that you can scrape some of the drippings off of the bottom. Once the onions begin to turn translucent and the bacon is browned, move onto the next step.

5. Add the beef broth and  wine to deglaze the pan. Stir and scrape at the bottom of the pan with the wooden spoon. Turn the heat off on the stove and put the browned beef back into the pan. If the liquid doesn't go halfway up the side of the beef, add a little water until it does. Put the bay leaf and the thyme in the pan, cover it, and put the pan into the oven. Set a timer for one hour.

6. After one hour, remove the braised beef.   remove lid, Use a pair of tongs to flip the roast. Put the lid back on and put it back in the oven. Set the timer for thirty minutes. After thirty minutes, flip it again. Then put it back in for thirty more minutes. After that time has elapsed, check the meat to see if it is fork-tender. If it is not, cook in additional thirty minute intervals until it is.

7.  Rest the braised beef and finish the sauce. Once it is fork-tender, remove the braised beef carefully from the juices and let it rest on a cutting board. Lightly drape or tent some aluminum foil. Remove the vegetables from the sauce with a slotted spoon and put them in the serving dish. Reduce the braising liquid until its thick. If the liquid is already flavorful or too salty, thicken it with a roux, arrowroot gelatin or last ditch, cornstarch and water mix rather than reducing it. Slice the braised beef and serve it with the vegetables and the sauce. Garnish with parsley.

I like to add additional carrots and cut up potatoes during the final 90 min of cooking rather than dealing with additional sides..or great with Mashed potatoes, over buttered egg noodles or even rice..

CHEF
View Quote

Chef this looks very good and I will try next week for sure but I have a few questions please .

1 . can I use maderia instead of port or red wine ? I have some left and would like to use it up .

2. should I use salt pork I hear its better then smoked bacon for braises and in Maine I can get salt pork every were .

3. how critical is it to turn the meat every 30 minutes ?

4. what do you mean by ( finishing the sauce ) after you remove the meat ???

thanks for the help .
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:06:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maine-hye] [#21]
Chef

Sorry I must be retarded I see you answered number 4 but can you tell me the best way to make and add a roux to boiled down braising liquid ??

How much roux should I add ? How do I adjust the recipe amounts for larger cuts of meat ?
thanks again chef I enjoy your section of the forum very much indeed !!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:19:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#22]
Originally Posted By maine-hye:

Chef this looks very good and I will try next week for sure but I have a few questions please .

1 . can I use maderia instead of port or red wine ? I have some left and would like to use it up .
     absolutely.

2. should I use salt pork I hear its better then smoked bacon for braises and in Maine I can get salt pork every were .
    works as well if not better, most folks stroke out when salt port is mentioned BUT I would reserve salting the gravy/stock until ready to thicken.
        not horribly, but it does give you a more even cook.
the amount of roux depends on the amount of stock you're thickening. I have pre made roux I keep in the freezer, frozen flat and stacked.
I simply break off a few pieces at a time breaking it into the sauce I am thickening,  remember to be at full simmer and stirring constantly to avoid lumps
of thick pasty chewies in your dinner.  

thanks for the help .
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By maine-hye:

braised beef chuck roast
2 pounds chuck roast
Salt
Black pepper
¼ cup bacon
1 onion
4 carrots
5 cloves garlic
2 cups beef stock
1 cup port or red wine
1 bay leaf
1 sprig thyme
4 Tbsp butter
Fresh parsley
Water

CHEF

absolutely.

works as well if not better, most folks stroke out when salt port is mentioned BUT I would reserve salting the gravy/stock until ready to thicken.
        not horribly, but it does give you a more even cook.
the amount of roux depends on the amount of stock you're thickening. I have pre made roux I keep in the freezer, frozen flat and stacked.
I simply break off a few pieces at a time breaking it into the sauce I am thickening,  remember to be at full simmer and stirring constantly to avoid lumps
of thick pasty chewies in your dinner.  

thanks for the help .

you are welcome..thanks for the question, I've been getting lonely...

Chef
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 6:21:07 AM EDT
[#23]
We are doing good, just getting ready for Barry to destroy the world, I only need a 36 hour day
View Quote

a 36 hour day and limitless funding....of course then you'd be a government appointee...
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:30:42 AM EDT
[#24]

a 36 hour day and limitless funding....of course then you'd be a government appointee...
View All Quotes

And a democrap or a Christiecrat
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Hi Chef, I have a dinner guest coming on Thursday, we are looking for simple sauce that goes on rice, but our guest has allergies to meat, eggs, and dairy.
Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By cb119:
Hi Chef, I have a dinner guest coming on Thursday, we are looking for simple sauce that goes on rice, but our guest has allergies to meat, eggs, and dairy. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.
View Quote

I would recommend they just go ahead and end it...being allergic to 50% of the food on the planet leaves rice, beans and oatmeal...if they're have Hispanic and half Scot, they're golden...

that said

What "meat" fish, fowl, pork, beef,
whats everyone else eating?

Chef.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:37:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Reno2Slow] [#27]
Thanks for your time Chef.  Hopefully I will be more specific.  

Long story short.  She is allergic to meats, eggs, and dairy.  that is all the info I got.  I know it doesn't help.  I am willing to bet that she is vegan and is passing it off as allergies.  I understand food allergies I am allergic to many foods myself.  I just eat them sparingly,  none of them will send me to the ER.  

To be more specific in what I was planning is what my family calls a haystack(think rice based salad bar, just put on your plate what you want).  It is simple, feeds a lot, and everyone can customized their own plate.  You start with a rice and add any and all toppings such as shredded chicken, green onions, diced tomatoes, pineapple, shredded cheese, slivered almonds etc.  We generally use chicken based gravy for a sauce over the top.  It is simple, easy(wife will be preparing most of it).  I am just looking for a sauce that could be used as well that does not call for meat, egg or dairy.

Hope this helps.  Any other suggestions could help.

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:03:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#28]
Originally Posted By cb119:
Thanks for your time Chef.  Hopefully I will be more specific.  Long story short.  She is allergic to meats, eggs, and dairy.  that is all the info I got.  I know it doesn't help.  I am willing to bet that she is vegan and is passing it off as allergies.  I understand food allergies I am allergic to many foods myself.  I just eat them sparingly,  none of them will send me to the ER.  
To be more specific in what I was planning is what my family calls a haystack(think rice based salad bar, just put on your plate what you want).  It is simple, feeds a lot, and everyone can customized their own plate.  You start with a rice and add any and all toppings such as shredded chicken, green onions, diced tomatoes, pineapple, shredded cheese, slivered almonds etc.  We generally use chicken based gravy for a sauce over the top.  It is simple, easy(wife will be preparing most of it).  I am just looking for a sauce that could be used as well that does not call for meat, egg or dairy.
Hope this helps.  Any other suggestions could help.

View Quote

I had a witty (snarky)response here a few minutes ago..and my damn computer decided the page needed "refreshing" so..don't remember what I said, something about preparing your brain and doing self flagellation now to get use to the pain of listening to a guest explain how Vegan diets and High Colonics has changed her life and that you should share the tale of Vodka colonics in college and the antics of internally drunk sorority girls....anyways..  

Curry is a staple in the diets of most Indians and touted by Vegans everywhere as it's one of the few things they consume that has Taste...

Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
zest of 1 lemon
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
1 1/4 cups light coconut milk
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves

Directions
In a small bowl, combine the coconut milk, soy sauce, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
Place a wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and heat for 30 seconds. Add red pepper flakes, zest, garlic, and curry powder and stir-fry until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
Add the coconut-milk mixture and bring to a boil. Cook until the sauce thickens slightly, 1 1/2 minutes. Add basil. Pour into a bowl and allow it to sit 5 min
before service.

Sofrito is a sauce used in Spain and is a classic, it is possibly the root of Salsa found in the New World and decidedly the core of Rancho Sauce though
rancho sauce is spicier...

Ingredients
1 can crushed tomatoes (28-29 oz)
1 long green pepper (Bell, Anaheim or other sweet pepper, not “hot”) [ I use reds and yellows and green bells to add some color.].
1 medium yellow onion
2 large cloves garlic
extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp sweet paprika(Spanish preferred as Hungarian is not as sweet but ok to use)
salt and pepper to taste

Finely chop the onion and garlic. Chop the pepper into 1/4" (or smaller) pieces. Heat a large frying pan with a heavy bottom over medium heat. Pour in enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Put the onions into the pan and sauté them until they are transparent, reducing the heat if necessary so as not to burn them. Add the green pepper and continue to cook for 5 minutes, adding olive oil if necessary. Be sure to stir often, to vegetables do not burn. Add the minced garlic and sauté for 1 minute more. Pour the crushed tomatoes and paprika into the pan and mix well. Continue to cook for about 10-15 minutes.
a splash of sweet red wine  can be added as well
you can tighten this up a bit if needed with arrowroot or corn starch..but it will then "GELL" when cool/cold

hope that helps
CHEF
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Hello Chef, I have some powdered FD strawberries coming. I have been thinking of things to do with them other than let them sit in the storeroom for 30 years. I am thinking ice cream, in waffles and pancakes, cake or icing, how about any other ideas?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 10:39:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Hello Chef, I have some powdered FD strawberries coming. I have been thinking of things to do with them other than let them sit in the storeroom for 30 years. I am thinking ice cream, in waffles and pancakes, cake or icing, how about any other ideas?
View Quote

frosties!!
Frappe's,
Strawberry soup,
I'll run some recipes shortly..

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:12:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cleatus] [#31]
Chef, couple questions:

1. When I make bread, it sees EVERY time I try to roll it out, it ALWAYS springs back... pizza dough, pretzels, etc.  Its a real pain to roll it out to 12" thin pizza to have it pull back right away to 6"

2. pulled pork... I have done this on grill, croc pot, and whatnot, but I can never seem to get it taste right (or right texture)  Now, keep in mind, I am trying to replicate the stuff the local joints all seem to have here.  Obviously, without tasting it, its impossible to replicate, but none of these seem to be done on a grill/smoker.  If I had to guess, they bake it.  Its never light in color like mine, but darker, perfect texture and juicy.  to me, it seems quite salty, and a lot of onion, so I am guessing they brine it and bake it.  I sure wish I could figure out how they make it, but they, of course, will not give it out :)  

thoughts?

thanks!!!

cleat

edit:  was looking through some of your other posts and saw the red wine....wonder if the darker color coming from that...hmmmm
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Cleatus:
Chef, couple questions:

1. When I make bread, it seems EVERY time I try to roll it out, it ALWAYS springs back... pizza dough, pretzels, etc.  Its a real pain to roll it out to 12" thin pizza to have it pull back right away to 6"

I'd say you're working it too much, the more you handle it, the tighter the dough gets, don't mix it so much and see if that solves your issue.theres an old term no one uses anymore in all probability in that when mixing the dough, when ist ready it will begin to take the shape of a Policm.

2. pulled pork... I have done this on grill, croc pot, and whatnot, but I can never seem to get it taste right (or right texture)  Now, keep in mind, I am trying to replicate the stuff the local joints all seem to have here.  Obviously, without tasting it, its impossible to replicate, but none of these seem to be done on a grill/smoker.  If I had to guess, they bake it.  Its never light in color like mine, but darker, perfect texture and juicy.  to me, it seems quite salty, and a lot of onion, so I am guessing they brine it and bake it.  I sure wish I could figure out how they make it, but they, of course, will not give it out :)  

yes it is usually marinated with a variety of marinades from Italian or French dressings to BBQ SOP aka watery BBQ sauce, Soy and pineapple juice and Red wine and various seasonings...lots of ways to do it including Jerking it..

are you trying to match BBQ, Asian. Caribbean styles?

thoughts?

thanks!!!

cleat

edit:  was looking through some of your other posts and saw the red wine....wonder if the darker color coming from that...hmmmm
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:19:47 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes
Chef, couple questions:

1. When I make bread, it seems EVERY time I try to roll it out, it ALWAYS springs back... pizza dough, pretzels, etc.  Its a real pain to roll it out to 12" thin pizza to have it pull back right away to 6"

I'd say you're working it too much, the more you handle it, the tighter the dough gets, don't mix it so much and see if that solves your issue.theres an old term no one uses anymore in all probability in that when mixing the dough, when ist ready it will begin to take the shape of a Policm.

yes it is usually marinated with a variety of marinades from Italian or French dressings to BBQ SOP aka watery BBQ sauce, Soy and pineapple juice and Red wine and various seasonings...lots of ways to do it including Jerking it..

thoughts?

thanks!!!

cleat

the pulled pork does not seem to be "bbq" flavor at all, and little if any smoke.  Not spicy (like jerk)  just a good, plain, yet very flavorful pulled pork.  I think half of it is the texture.  just perfect...not sloppy wet, but very moist/tender meat.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#34]

frosties!!
Frappe's,
Strawberry soup,

View All Quotes

frosties!!
Frappe's,
Strawberry soup,

Strawberry soup? that is different, Strawberry whipped cream and I wonder what adding it to jam would do?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#35]

frosties!!
Frappe's,
Strawberry soup,

View All Quotes

frosties!!
Frappe's,
Strawberry soup,

Strawberry soup? that is different, Strawberry whipped cream and I wonder what adding it to jam would do?
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#36]

the pulled pork does not seem to be "bbq" flavor at all, and little if any smoke.  Not spicy (like jerk)  just a good, plain, yet very flavorful pulled pork.  I think half of it is the texture.  just perfect...not sloppy wet, but very moist/tender meat.
View All Quotes
Chef, couple questions:

thoughts?

thanks!!!

cleat

then I would assume theyre making a simple pot roast type pulled pork It may even be steamed in a commercial steamer..  

here's a slow cooker recipe to try..

12oz of red wine
1/4 cup mustard, or to taste
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons crushed garlic, or to taste
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
3 pounds pork picnic roast
3/4 cup water  (optional)
1 onion, chopped

Mix wine, mustard, honey, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, cayenne pepper, and salt in a bowl until honey is dissolved
. Pour a small amount of the wine marinade into a slow cooker; add pork. Pour remaining marinade over pork. Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning pork occasionally.
Cook pork on Low in the slow cooker for 8 hours, basting occasionally. Add water if the pork becomes dry. Drop onion around pork and continue to cook until pork is very tender, about 2 hours more.
Pull and shred pork with two forks, discarding any pieces of fat. Transfer pork to a serving dish. Skim remaining onion from the slow cooker using a sieve and add to pork.

and a  nice bourbon marinade for oven roasting..

•1 cup bourbon
•1 cup brown sugar
•1 cup oil
•1 cup prepared mustard
•1 cup Worcestershire sauce
Combine all ingredients and mix until the sugar is completely dissolved. Marinate meats for 4 to 6 hours.

hope that helps,,if you need an address to ship samples let me know
CHEF
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

frosties!!
Frappe's,
Strawberry soup,

using FD Berries they're going to need to be reconstituted before use in this recipe, jams, toppings etc...waters fine,,but Amaretto and Kirsh Wasser or anisette make a fine liquid to bring them back to succulence for toppings on cheese cake or angel food cake etc..

strawberry soup is simple
1/3 cup sour cream
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 cups  sliced strawberries in sugar, OR reconstituted FD Berries

place ingredients in the blender and WhiZZZZZZZ your done...a shot of whipped cream and a sprig of mint on top and
your approaching heaven..GREAT summer soup for a salad supper...

I also like to just use 2 cups of berries and 2 cups of plain Greek yogurt, gives it a tart creamy finish and
has been known to bring tears to the eyes of a few gentlemen of German decent that practiced Hebrew as their religion
and awarded me my only competition Gold Medal.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#38]
That is an interesting receipe, I will have to try it. I plan on opening one can to try some receipes with.  I have a goodly supply on none staples, like vanilla, cinnamon, and even chocolate chips. I tild HurricaineAllie, my future grandchildren will not suffer for Obummers damage.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Goulash II

Ingredients

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

4 cups onions, thinly sliced

1 tablespoon sugar

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 tablespoon caraway seeds, toasted and ground

1 1/2 tablespoons sweet paprika

1 teaspoon spicy paprika

2 tablespoons minced fresh marjoram leaves

1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves

1 bay leaf

3 tablespoons tomato paste

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

4 cups chicken stock

2 1/2 pounds beef shank, cut into 2-inch cubes

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Spaetzle, recipe follows

Directions

In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil and saute the onions and sugar until caramelized. Add the garlic and caraway seed. Cook for 1 minute. Add the sweet and sharp paprika, marjoram, thyme, and bay leaf. Saute another minute, until fragrant. Add the tomato paste. Deglaze with the vinegar and the stock and add the pieces of beef shank, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook until very tender, about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

View Quote

I made this tonight and it was delicious!

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:55:30 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

Goulash II
Ingredients
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 cups onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon sugar
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon caraway seeds, toasted and ground
1 1/2 tablespoons sweet paprika
1 teaspoon spicy paprika
2 tablespoons minced fresh marjoram leaves
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 cups chicken stock
2 1/2 pounds beef shank, cut into 2-inch cubes
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Spaetzle, recipe follows

Directions
In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil and saute the onions and sugar until caramelized. Add the garlic and caraway seed. Cook for 1 minute. Add the sweet and sharp paprika, marjoram, thyme, and bay leaf. Saute another minute, until fragrant. Add the tomato paste. Deglaze with the vinegar and the stock and add the pieces of beef shank, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook until very tender, about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Chef,

Quick question about doing pot roast.  Usually I do a 2-4lb. roast in the crockpot.  8-10 hours on low.  Seems the last few times the meat has been dry and a bit tough.

I was under the impression that the longer it was in, the more tender it would get.  Is pot roast like other meat where you should be shooting for a certain internal temperature or is it different?  I think the exact cut of meat I'm getting from Costco is "chuck roast" but I can't remember for sure.  But it has plenty of marbling.

Should I be cooking it in the oven instead of the crockpot?  How high should the liquid level be?  Usually i use enough liquid to come about half the thickness of the meat.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:37:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Laramie:
Chef,

Quick question about doing pot roast.  Usually I do a 2-4lb. roast in the crockpot.  8-10 hours on low.  Seems the last few times the meat has been dry and a bit tough.
cut that back about 1.50-2 hours I imagine, too much heat..add about 25% more water.
I was under the impression that the longer it was in, the more tender it would get.(Think crematoriums, mummies, other desiccated things.)

Is pot roast like other meat where you should be shooting for a certain internal temperature or is it different?  I think the exact cut of meat I'm getting from Costco is "chuck roast" but I can't remember for sure.  But it has plenty of marbling.

Should I be cooking it in the oven instead of the crockpot?  How high should the liquid level be?  Usually i use enough liquid to come about half the thickness of the meat.
View Quote

Chuck roast is fine and you're cooking it for one of it's principal uses..Oven is fine. crock pot is fine, just watch your water levels and

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 (3 1/2) pound boneless beef chuck roast
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped, or to taste
2 1/2 cups beef stock
1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 bay leaves
3/4 pound carrots, cut diagonally into 1-inch-thick slices
1 pound small red potatoes, quartered lengthwise
1 (6 ounce) jar mushrooms, or more to taste
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 tablespoons cold water
1 pinch celery salt, or to taste
1 pinch dried basil, or to taste
1 pinch dried thyme, or to taste

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C)..

Heat vegetable oil in a large, heavy pot or cast-iron Dutch oven over medium heat. Brown chuck roast in the hot oil completely, 5 to 8 minutes per side; season with salt and black pepper and transfer to a platter. Reserve oil in pot.

Cook and stir onion and garlic in the oil until onions are golden, about 15 minutes. Stir beef stock, tomatoes, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, and bay leaves into onions and garlic; bring to a boil and place chuck roast into the mixture. Cover pot.

Cook in the preheated oven until meat is very tender, 4 to 4 1/2 hours. Scatter carrot slices around the beef and bring to a boil over medium heat; return to oven for 30 more minutes. Distribute potatoes around the beef and vegetables, bring to a boil again over medium heat, and bake until potatoes are tender, about 30 more minutes.

Transfer beef to a serving platter, cover loosely with a tent of aluminum foil, and set aside to rest for 10 minutes.

Stir mushrooms into pan drippings; bring to a simmer over low heat. Whisk cornstarch into cold water in a small bowl and stir into the drippings. Season with celery salt, basil, and thyme. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves. Slice beef; serve on a platter surrounded by vegetables. Pour gravy over beef.

Chef..
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#43]

Chuck roast is fine and you're cooking it for one of it's principal uses..Oven is fine. crock pot is fine, just watch your water levels and

SNIP

Chef..
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Laramie:
Chef,

cut that back about 1.50-2 hours I imagine, too much heat..add about 25% more water.
I was under the impression that the longer it was in, the more tender it would get.(Think crematoriums, mummies, other desiccated things.)

Is pot roast like other meat where you should be shooting for a certain internal temperature or is it different?  I think the exact cut of meat I'm getting from Costco is "chuck roast" but I can't remember for sure.  But it has plenty of marbling.

SNIP

Chef..

Many thanks Chef.  Will give that a try.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Chef, I'm doing a dinner party for some friends. I would like to do Coq Au Vin, but there's a ton of recipes out there to choose from. Normally I'd just go to your thread and find the recipe I need, but I don't think you've done one. It needs to feed 6.

Thanks, Sir Chefferson!
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By ArmaNotSoLite:
Chef, I'm doing a dinner party for some friends. I would like to do Coq Au Vin, but there's a ton of recipes out there to choose from. Normally I'd just go to your thread and find the recipe I need, but I don't think you've done one. It needs to feed 6.

Thanks, Sir Chefferson!
View Quote

I am sorry, been VERY busy this weekend tying up the wife's retirement...

I will be back this evening with a recipe!!

Chefferson

"With those who wish to think amiss of me, I have learned to be perfectly indifferent; but where I know a mind to be ingenuous, and to need only truth to set it to rights, I cannot be passive." --Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Abigail Adams, 1804
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#46]

Chefferson

"With those who wish to think amiss of me, I have learned to be perfectly indifferent; but where I know a mind to be ingenuous, and to need only truth to set it to rights, I cannot be passive." --Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Abigail Adams, 1804
View All Quotes

Chefferson

Cheers to your wife (and you!).

I figured out how to find recipes in the first thread. Look at the index, then google that specific thing with site:http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_163/1201560_.html as part of the search. Then it brings up the correct page. I was looking for something that was listed as being on page 73, and found it on page 9...

Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#47]

I figured out how to find recipes in the first thread. Look at the index, then google that specific thing with site:http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_163/1201560_.html as part of the search. Then it brings up the correct page. I was looking for something that was listed as being on page 73, and found it on page 9...

View All Quotes

Chefferson

thank you and as far as the index's,,,when you pay for free labor you get your money's worth..and the great wonderful person(s) who did all that work
have my undying appreciation...
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:24:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: douglasmorris99] [#48]

Chefferson

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ArmaNotSoLite:

Thanks, Sir Chefferson!

Chefferson

Chicken in Red wine..hmm hmm hmm

one of my favorite classice French dishes...It is also stellar with white wine, aka Au Vin Blanc and eXCELLET with rabbit, squirrel and pigeon..

6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, or breasts and recipe extends just fine for more folks..
1 pinch kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
8 ounces bacon, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
10 large button mushrooms, quartered
1/2 large yellow onion, diced
2 shallots, sliced
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
2 Teaspoons butter
1 1/2 cups red wine
6 sprigs fresh thyme
1 cup chicken broth

1 Preheat oven to 375 degrees

2.Season chicken thighs all over with salt and black pepper.

3.Place bacon in a large, oven-proof skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel lined plate, leaving drippings in the skillet.

4.Increase heat to high and place chicken, skin-side down, into skillet. Cook in hot skillet until browned, 2 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate; drain and discard all but 1 tablespoon drippings from the skillet.

5.Lower heat to medium-high; saute mushrooms, onion, and shallots with a pinch of salt in the hot skillet until golden and caramelized, 7 to 12 minutes.

6.Stir flour and butter into vegetable mixture until completely incorporated, about 1 minute.

7.Pour red wine into the skillet and bring to a boil while scraping browned bits of food off of the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Stir bacon and thyme into red wine mixture; simmer until wine is about 1/3 reduced, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour chicken broth into wine mixture and set chicken thighs into skillet; bring wine and stock to a simmer.

8.Cook chicken in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Spoon pan juices over the chicken and continue cooking until no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, about 30 minutes more. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Transfer chicken to a platter.

9.Place skillet over high heat and reduce pan juices, skimming fat off the top as necessary, until sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; remove and discard thyme. Pour sauce over chicken.

I also like to add a cup of steamed fresh pearl onions...

CHEF, thanks you for patience and asking for a favored recipe....

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks, Sir Chefferson! One question, though. What red wine type is best? I'm not much for wine, normally. Malbec, maybe?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#50]

thank you and as far as the index's,,,when you pay for free labor you get your money's worth..and the great wonderful person(s) who did all that work

View All Quotes

The person(s) who worked on it are great! I just wanted to point out that the old index will still work, when combined with google. I just don't understand what happened to it...

Page / 39
ASK THE CHEF Part DEAUX (Page 26 of 39)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top