Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2017 2:54:34 PM EDT
My brother-in-law, who I have been trying to get interested in Masonry, came to me yesterday, and told me Jesus told him no oaths, per Matthew 5:34, and that's that. He's not interested in joining.

Matthew 5:34 doesn't prohibit Christians from joining the Army, or taking an oath of office, or being sworn in court. So what does Matthew 5:34 mean?
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Never mind.  No need to start a theological nit-picking argument.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My brother-in-law, who I have been trying to get interested in Masonry, came to me yesterday, and told me Jesus told him no oaths, per Matthew 5:34, and that's that. He's not interested in joining.

Matthew 5:34 doesn't prohibit Christians from joining the Army, or taking an oath of office, or being sworn in court. So what does Matthew 5:34 mean?
View Quote
he doesn't want involved  is what it means.

The King James version reads like this;   But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, I'm not going to push him or anything. However odd I think his interpretation is.

He's Protestant, and evangelical. Going to a non-denominational congregation right now. I wonder if there are any Masons in his church. I'd sure like to know.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:36:10 PM EDT
[#4]
"I affirm."
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"I affirm."
View Quote
Forgive me, but I'm not catching your meaning.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:29:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"I affirm."
Oaths usually begin "I, [name], do solemnly swear or affirm that . . . ." or people will say "I [name] do solemnly affirm that. . . ." Either is legally sufficient when an oath is called for. In court here, the judge or clerk says to the witness "You do solemnly swear or affirm that the evidence you give in this cause shall be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth [usually 'so help you God']" and the witness says "Yes" or "I do" or "So help me God."
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#7]
the creator facepalms at the silly man made religious dogma
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 5:01:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Please explain in great detail what you mean
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 6:26:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Conjecture on top of conjecture.

"...no one knows...", Mark 13:32.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps you should let your buddy answer.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#11]
As in all things, interpretation is key.  

The Society of Friends interpret, "...swear not at all...All you need to say is simply 'Yes' or 'No';..." as keep your mouth shut unless you're agreeing or disagreeing to a direct question.

Another interpretation is, don't just say it for the sake of saying it:  do it.  Anyone can say, "I swear..."  But by either doing it, "Yes", or not, "No" is the measure of one's sincerity, truth and acting as promised.  

I believe that Christ, who rarely spoke in very plain direct terms, was speaking against how the Pharisees had twisted Old Testament law into a legal system rather than the relationship of man to G-d.  Remember, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."  Pretty much everything Christ taught was returning the Jews to what G-d had commanded, not what the "System" had become.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As in all things, interpretation is key.  

The Society of Friends interpret, "...swear not at all...All you need to say is simply 'Yes' or 'No';..." as keep your mouth shut unless you're agreeing or disagreeing to a direct question.

Another interpretation is, don't just say it for the sake of saying it:  do it.  Anyone can say, "I swear..."  But by either doing it, "Yes", or not, "No" is the measure of one's sincerity, truth and acting as promised.  

I believe that Christ, who rarely spoke in very plain direct terms, was speaking against how the Pharisees had twisted Old Testament law into a legal system rather than the relationship of man to G-d.  Remember, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."  Pretty much everything Christ taught was returning the Jews to what G-d had commanded, not what the "System" had become.
View Quote
That's kind of the way I would interpret it. Not a blanket prohibition, but an admonition not to take such an oath lightly. Do not commit lightly.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I would tell him that if b his convictions say he cannot take the obligation then he shouldn't join.  It's his choice.

If you want to stir the pot, ask if he is married and did he say vows at his wedding.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:07:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would tell him that if b his convictions say he cannot take the obligation then he shouldn't join.  It's his choice.

If you want to stir the pot, ask if he is married and did he say vows at his wedding.
View Quote
That's normally an, "I do", precisely because of Matthew 5:34.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:04:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
He's my wife's brother. We're close. He's not married. I did ask him about the other oaths taken in daily life. From the pledge of allegiance, to marriage vows. He did not reply. I'm not going to push it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 2:11:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

... I'm not going to push it.
View Quote
That's the BEST call.  No reason to start a fight.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

... I'm not going to push it.
not just that.. theres no reason to push anyone into anything.  either they want it or they don't.... really theres no middle ground.  this applies to anything in life.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 3:49:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
ma be ok for a courtroom, wouldn't fly here in a lodge. we don't take an oath, we take an obligation ;)

Oath or Obligation

Few words are more wrongly used, at least in Masonic circles, than oath.A candidate takes upon himself a solemn obligation to do certain things and to refrain from certain actions. The word ” OBLIGATION ” is from the Latin-of ( to ) and ligare ( to bind ).It is a tie, a bond, an agreement, a profession of intention, a responsibility, a duty agreed upon, a constraint of action, a pledge, an acknowledgment of promises made.In no such definitions can be found any similarity to the meaning of the word ” oath “, which is the concluding phrase by which the assumer of the obligation calls upon that which he holds sacred to witness his vow.
View Quote
Awesome answer TBS. Thanks. I might consider imparting this information to him, in a round-about way.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Anytime someone asks me that question I tell them I've never taken an oath in the fraternity and/if they press it more I tell them what Slayer said. The most important part about taken the obligation is what the Worshipful Master promises you before you take it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 8:32:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Anytime someone asks me that question I tell them I've never taken an oath in the fraternity and/if they press it more I tell them what Slayer said. The most important part about taken the obligation is what the Worshipful Master promises you before you take it.
View Quote
you are eligible for this.  S+C
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:08:49 AM EDT
[#22]
He was looking for a reason to not join....He found one.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 2:18:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
He was looking for a reason to not join....He found one.
View Quote
Not necessarily. He's only been a bible studying, church going, devoted Christian for five or six years now. He was born into my wife's Mormon family, but the entire family fell away from the church in about 1988 when he was pre-ten. He may have nominally considered himself Christian, much as my wife has, ever since she quit the Mormon Church. But being as close of a family unit as they are, Mom & Dad are still alive, and everyone's very close, they all kind of underwent a spiritual awakening to actual protestant evangelical Christianity, when my Mother-in-law went in search of a new church to join. They have all been baptized within the last five years. I'm not sure he ever had a prejudice against Masonry, and brought the whole issue up unbidden one day not too long ago. I hadn't spoken to him about Masonry in months, perhaps years before he brought up the oaths thing.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 3:24:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
He may be very resistant to joining as he sees a tie between the mormon church and masonry. there is not one from the masonic side but there is a STRONG masonic influence in their church.
View Quote
Everyone I know who is a Mason is a good dude.

I have heard a lot of things, and plenty of criticism and antagonisms towards the LDS Church, but not wanting to be a Mason because early-LDS leaders were masons for a brief time in LDS Church history is a first.

Masonry was a big deal in 1800s America. The first Mason lodge established by the LDS Church was in Nauvoo, long after the LDS Church was already established, and after Smiths death, Young ceased the Nauvoo Mason lodge prior to the move West.

Smith was made a "Mason on sight" (which is rare) as the Mayor of Nauvoo by Illinois Masons. He would not have come-up as a Mason, or knew much about the organization or its methods prior to that.

After the LDS Church went West, not long after Smiths murder, no Mason lodges were formed by the LDS in the West, and the Masonic Lodge in Utah had a no-Mormon policy that lasted until 1984.

Since it was a brief history in Nauvoo, and I have studied LDS history for a long time, I would not call the relationship between the LDS Church and masons, "STRONG."

Smith, and the Saints, had built the Kirtland Temple, and Smith had received the Temple Ordinance revelation prior to his being made a "Mason on sight" with no background in Masonry... It is difficult to call the relationship between the Masons and the LDS Church, "STRONG" except for the brief stint the LDS Church had a Mason lodge in Nauvoo...
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 5:47:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
a good bit of symbolism and ritual used in the lds is a very close copy of a masonic lodge. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
a good bit of symbolism and ritual used in the lds is a very close copy of a masonic lodge. 
Smith had received the revelation on Temple work prior to his becoming a Mason, and participating in Mason rights.

Quoted:
therea re enough similarities that at one time many jurisdictions considered the LDS church as a clandestine lodge.
It was just the Utah lodge. Other lodges allowed LDS.

Quoted:
LDS may not recognize it but masonic history most certainly does.
The truth be told...

Most folks who raise the Mason issue with LDS don't like *either* Masons or the LDS.

Quoted:
most jurisdictions considered them a clandestine lodge up to about 1984.
"From 1925 to 1984, the Grand Lodge of Utah prohibited members of the LDS Church from joining, but no other Grand Lodge followed this ban and Latter-day Saints were free to join Lodges outside Utah. In 1984, the Grand Lodge of Utah officially dropped its anti-Mormon position and allowed Latter-day Saints to join. Today there is no formal obstacle in Utah or in any other Grand Lodge preventing Latter-day Saints from becoming Freemasons. Since 1984, several of the Grand Masters of the Grand Lodge of Utah have been Latter-day Saints."
Link

Quoted:
So yes there are VERY close ties between LDS and freemasonry. but based on the history it's no surprise the church teaches the opposite. rituals, grips, symbolism, ties to the founders etc.

The LDS Church has always taught that Smith was a Mason. The LDS Church has always taught that the Masons were pretty good people. Some of those who killed Smith were thought to be Masons, but that is only something brought up to show the open and blatant hypocrisy of those who murdered Smith in cold blood. Masons have always been referred to in positive terms in LDS history and teachings.

I was openly taught in Seminary and Institute that Smith was a Mason. It is in official lessons and manuals. One of my Institute Professors was a Mason.

Similarities /= "VERY close ties."
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:45:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
there some BIG similarities. the founders of the mormon church were masons and much of their leadership structure is very similar. if he left the mormon church you may well be fighting some of that as well. there are a LOT of church documents and research documents relating to the use of masonic symbols, grips and traditions that joseph smith used in the church. 

He may be very resistant to joining as he sees a tie between the mormon church and masonry. there is not one from the masonic side but there is a STRONG masonic influence in their church.
View Quote
Not an issue. And being a Utah Mason, and a native Utahn, I'm well aware of the history between the LDS church and the fraternity.

My BIL was maybe 8 years old when the family quit the church. Not even sure he was ever baptized. I'm certain he has no lingering issues there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top