Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 2/17/2017 6:13:59 PM EDT
I had a thread like this one on the old forum, but its buried in the archives, so I'm starting a new one.

Got a question or comment, please post em up.

Want to join and don't know where to start?  ask away.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Can an average scro like me join?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can an average scro like me join?
View Quote
To become a Freemason in Connecticut, you must:
  • Have been a resident of the state for 12 months prior to application.
  • Be an adult male of good character and at least 18 years of age.
  • Be a man who expresses a belief in a Supreme Deity. (We do not accept atheists or agnostics, but beyond that we are not concerned with specific religious beliefs or theological distinctions. )
  • Have not been coerced into joining, but do so of your own free will and accord because you have a favorable impression of the Fraternity.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Must I drive an Expedition or any Cadillac with 24in Chrome Rims to get in??

Are Do-Rags issued out at time of the "jump in"?

Are you allowed to only "hook up" your own kind based on skin tone?

Which Malt Liquor is the preferred refreshment at these parties??

ETA: If my mom is Eastern Star and has all the colorful badges on her G-Ride....does that make me a legacy and automatically entitled to whatever the perceived benefit is?
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:04:42 PM EDT
[#4]
No

No

No

None preferred

No
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

ETA: If my mom is Eastern Star and has all the colorful badges on her G-Ride....does that make me a legacy and automatically entitled to whatever the perceived benefit is?
View Quote

Your perception of Freemasonry is screwed up.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#6]
This is something that I have been interested in for many years but I have never (I haven't walked into the lodge, just asking people I know) met a Mason.  What is the average amount of time that needs to be spent monthly, be it going to meetings, study, things I don't even know you have to do?  I don't want to try and get into something that I am not going to have the time available to do it right.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
This is something that I have been interested in for many years but I have never (I haven't walked into the lodge, just asking people I know) met a Mason.  What is the average amount of time that needs to be spent monthly, be it going to meetings, study, things I don't even know you have to do?  I don't want to try and get into something that I am not going to have the time available to do it right.
View Quote
In Georgia we meet twice a month.  In the beginning we ask for up to 12 weeks (the length depends on you) with you meeting a coach every night you can for an hour or so. Our ritual work is passed from mouth to ear and you'll need to memorize each step before going to the next. After becoming a Master Mason it's up to you as to how much time you put into the craft.  You get out what you put in. 
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
the poster above me, cpl0313 is not how it was done in my state, and may not be how its done in yours.  We don't have nearly that time requirement, in fact its more like 2 hours a month in the beginning.

every state has different requirements.  I invite you to visit this page about your state's requirements and to educate yourself about our craft.

http://freemason-wa.org/freemasons/membership/how-to-become-a-freemason/
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Every state and lodge is different.   If it were my lodge, you would spend about 5 to 8 hours per week for the first 4 months.  Then one to two meetings at 2 to 3 hours per month.  

I'm the Master, which is like the president,  of my lodge, and I put 10 to 20 hours per week in on various committee meetings and work projects.  But my expectations on myself are higher than the lodge requires.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 10:01:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know if there is a certain amount for Tennessee but I went on Tuesdays to a family friends house to study. There was 3 of us at the start but I got my 1st and 2nd in before they got their 1st in. It takes as long as it takes for you to learn it. There is something about 30 days before you can turn in another one (hazy on that part) and I got mine in the lest amount of time. Having a young mind helped a lot and I learn best by hearing something a few times.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:30:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a great college fraternity experience and have been in the Sons of the American Revolution (SAR and CAR) pretty much since birth. I would love to get that experience again but am limited in time. Oh and also the fact that I don't believe in a god. Always a shame when organizations exclude quality prospects based off religious belief. Seems outdated but it's your club so you get to make the rules and I can respect that. Just always seems like a missed opportunity to do good service with an interesting group. Oh well, not meant to be. Have fun!
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Great thread idea!
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 1:57:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had a great college fraternity experience and have been in the Sons of the American Revolution (SAR and CAR) pretty much since birth. I would love to get that experience again but am limited in time. Oh and also the fact that I don't believe in a god. Always a shame when organizations exclude quality prospects based off religious belief. Seems outdated but it's your club so you get to make the rules and I can respect that. Just always seems like a missed opportunity to do good service with an interesting group. Oh well, not meant to be. Have fun!
View Quote

As a Mason, I have heard similar statements before from others that wish to join but don't meet the very few requirements for one reason or another.

From the outside looking in, I can see why you might think that way.  

From the inside looking out, I can see why you shouldn't be a Mason.

That's not to say you are not a good person, for I'm sure you are.

The fraternity of Freemasonry is an organization that has existed for nearly 300 years with very minimal changes in its rules or requirements for membership. You are correct -- it is quite outdated, but you are mistaken in the belief that "outdated" means "incorrect".

What you are saying is, that despite the thousands of Masons who have all met the same requirements for membership in the past and present, it should change to accomodate your system of beliefs, or make an exception to its traditions because of your belief in yourself.

That is not how Freemasonry works. Great emphasis is placed on the commonality of belief and experience that each Mason undergoes as they learn the lessons that Freemasonry provides. To say that an exception should be made, or the rules changed for some reason, is to do a disservice to all those Masons that have come before and accepted and met the requirements for membership.

For a person that is not a Mason to say such a thing is, in my mind, a prime example of a person who should not be a Mason.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:17:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I am over 70 and a deep South Texas rancher far from a Masonic lodge, so this is just a comment. My father was a 32nd Degree Scottish Rite Mason in a small Texas town. He was very active in the Lodge, as were many prominent people in the community. From the time I was a young boy, I aspired to be a Mason and anxiously awaited encouragement and an invitation from my father. It never came, and I attributed it to be because, for whatever reason, my father didn't believe that I was worthy. I am a devout Christian. After college I was an Air Force Officer for nearly 9 years and a very successful married professional in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex for over 25 years before retiring to celebrate my ultimate goal to manage my wife's family's ranch in the Rio Grande Valley.

I observed that, as adults, none of my boyhood friends and very few of my acquaintances in the military or business world displayed any of the outward symbols of being Masons either. I thought that was a bit unusual, but I figured that they also either had not received an invitation, or just had no interest in Masonism.

A few years ago I was reading an on-line post about the Masonic Lodge and saw that one must request membership to become a Mason.  Now I understand application to join a Country Club, or a professional organization, but in my experience,for a semi-secret or honorary society, one expects an invitation to join.

The Masons may get everyone whom you want by waiting for solicitations, but if not, you might consider opening up a little bit..
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 3:40:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am over 70 and a deep South Texas rancher far from a Masonic lodge, so this is just a comment. My father was a 32nd Degree Scottish Rite Mason in a small Texas town. He was very active in the Lodge, as were many prominent people in the community. From the time I was a young boy, I aspired to be a Mason and anxiously awaited encouragement and an invitation from my father. It never came, and I attributed it to be because, for whatever reason, my father didn't believe that I was worthy. I am a devout Christian. After college I was an Air Force Officer for nearly 9 years and a very successful married professional in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex for over 25 years before retiring to celebrate my ultimate goal to manage my wife's family's ranch in the Rio Grande Valley.

I observed that, as adults, none of my boyhood friends and very few of my acquaintances in the military or business world displayed any of the outward symbols of being Masons either. I thought that was a bit unusual, but I figured that they also either had not received an invitation, or just had no interest in Masonism.

A few years ago I was reading an on-line post about the Masonic Lodge and saw that one must request membership to become a Mason.  Now I understand application to join a Country Club, or a professional organization, but in my experience,for a semi-secret or honorary society, one expects an invitation to join.

The Masons may get everyone whom you want by waiting for solicitations, but if not, you might consider opening up a little bit..
View Quote

It is not to late for you to become a Mason, if you wish to do so. All you have to do is ask to be one.

There is a reason why Masons do not solicit for membership, and if you become a Mason, you will learn the reason.

I have a known a great many men that were made of the good stuff that would make for a good Mason, if not for one thing--they never asked to become one. This does not diminish them as a good men, and I don't bear them any ill will because they didn't follow the same path as I did. What led up to me asking to be a Mason was a simple enough conversation with a couple of men I knew, and it started with, "Hey, y'all are Masons. What's that all about?" and ended with me asking, "How do I join?" Simple enough thing to do, and they were happy to oblige and help.

As a fraternity, Freemasonry has always welcomed all-comers of all faiths and political beliefs with open arms, but we have never sought out members to merely increase the number of members amongst us. Freemasonry has survived through times of thick and thin, because what it teaches a man lives in his heart and mind, and so long as single Mason remains, so remains the fraternity (although a pancake breakfast is a lot more fun with friends).
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:28:58 AM EDT
[#17]
At the lodges on big bases in Afghanistan, the pipeline is pretty quick due to being able to meet every night i guess. I had guys on my team finish blue house in a few weeks, and go full circle in a matter of months. Great for them, but I'm sure masons who put in a lot more time and effort elsewhere don't look very kindly on guys like that. It was Prince Hall flavor, so I guess there is also some differences from the more common versions.

From the outside looking in at my guys going through the process, it looked like the lodge was more interested in getting the dues from each step along the way before people moved or redeployed than they were making sure the material was mastered. 

dunno.

I just enjoyed googling stuff that's supposed to be "classified" and asking questions that made their eyes pop out. I know it's "bad" to "steal" the "knowledge" from anywhere but official channels... kinda one of the main themes of masonry, if I understand it correctly, but since I'm not a mason, and its on the internet, why not? I was a little curious, but I have no inclination to take it seriously, so a few google searches showed me the basics and satisfied my curiosity.... including the signs, tokens, and pass phrases. 
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:56:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
At the lodges on big bases in Afghanistan, the pipeline is pretty quick due to being able to meet every night i guess. I had guys on my team finish blue house in a few weeks, and go full circle in a matter of months. Great for them, but I'm sure masons who put in a lot more time and effort elsewhere don't look very kindly on guys like that. It was Prince Hall flavor, so I guess there is also some differences from the more common versions.

From the outside looking in at my guys going through the process, it looked like the lodge was more interested in getting the dues from each step along the way before people moved or redeployed than they were making sure the material was mastered. 

dunno.

I just enjoyed googling stuff that's supposed to be "classified" and asking questions that made their eyes pop out. I know it's "bad" to "steal" the "knowledge" from anywhere but official channels... kinda one of the main themes of masonry, if I understand it correctly, but since I'm not a mason, and its on the internet, why not? I was a little curious, but I have no inclination to take it seriously, so a few google searches showed me the basics and satisfied my curiosity.... including the signs, tokens, and pass phrases. 
View Quote

I doubt there's any PH masons on ARF.  Most states don't recognize that organization as legit.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:03:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Based on his screen name, my guess is it's based on exposure to the only kind accessible to the average Joe who might ask for clarification on what "resident for 12 months" means and the only kind who who might actually be sympathetic to the reality driving such questions.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I doubt there's any PH masons on ARF.  Most states don't recognize that organization as legit.
View Quote

That's changing.  My state doesn't recognize PH, and the local PH Grand Lodges do not recognize me.  I've met and talked with many PH Masons and they have all been good men.  

Many states have co-recognition and I think more will in the future.   Eventually all Grand Lodge's will recognizer each b other.  

I guarantee there are PH Masons here that are reading this section thinking that everyone else is a PH Mason, just like you are thinking everyone here is not PH.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's changing.  My state doesn't recognize PH, and the local PH Grand Lodges do not recognize me.  I've met and talked with many PH Masons and they have all been good men.  

Many states have co-recognition and I think more will in the future.   Eventually all Grand Lodge's will recognizer each b other.  

I guarantee there are PH Masons here that are reading this section thinking that everyone else is a PH Mason, just like you are thinking everyone here is not PH.
View Quote
I'm sure there are PH guys here, too... especially if they joined while deployed overseas (it's arfcom, after all). Masonry is a huge deal on Bagram and KAF. I was actually really surprised. And it seemed like the only game in town was Prince Hall. 
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm sure there are PH guys here, too... especially if they joined while deployed overseas (it's arfcom, after all). Masonry is a huge deal on Bagram and KAF. I was actually really surprised. And it seemed like the only game in town was Prince Hall. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have a problem with PH. Many are great Brothers. My state recognizes them.

I have a problem with how you described their advancement into the craft. For instance 1 month should elapse between degrees unless there is proper Masonic authorization.... well if that's the norm there, then I disagree with how that's done. We are,supposed to be proud that we have walked the same footsteps that many good and worthy fellows have traveled before us...not fast track into it to save time because it's convenient for the men.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't have a problem with PH. Many are great Brothers. My state recognizes them.

I have a problem with how you described their advancement into the craft. For instance 1 month should elapse between degrees unless there is proper Masonic authorization.... well if that's the norm there, then I disagree with how that's done. We are,supposed to be proud that we have walked the same footsteps that many good and worthy fellows have traveled before us...not fast track into it to save time because it's convenient for the men.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure thats not how PH does things outside of the deployed environment. I believe that lodge is based in Oklahoma, but they have some kind of extension/chapter/authorization from the lodge to have a satellite lodge on Bagram. I was told that they accelerate the process since the environment is so dynamic... ie. people are only there for a few months at a time, constantly rotating in an out, and they meet a lot more often since no one has other responsibilities, (wife, kids, etc) in their barracks.

Like I said before, from the outside, it just looked designed to get the maximum dues before the guy moves on. Most people out there are getting a decent paycheck and don't spend as much of it as they would at home, so there's more disposable income in a more highly concentrated group of people who don't have anything better to do for a limited chunk of time. 

The younger guy on my team who went full circle was a really young black kid just out of the army, looking for somewhere to fit in. They were constantly hitting him up for dues, charity, event expenses, etc and all in he told me it cost him more than a few thousand dollars over the time he was going full circle. He was happy to do it though.

I know Masonry doesn't consider itself a religion, but man the people that get really into it are just as obsessed and devout as anyone I've ever seen to a religion. I was constantly hearing about how Masonry makes good men better and I should really consider requesting an invitation, hearing about how theres so much more "truth" out there, being invited to open houses and fundraisers, hearing bible references and lessons... it was like being surrounded by Mormons or Jehovahs Witnesses. lol. (and that's saying a lot, considering I'm Mormon. haha. Now I know how the non-Mormons in Utah feel). 
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:15:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure thats not how PH does things outside of the deployed environment. I believe that lodge is based in Oklahoma, but they have some kind of extension/chapter/authorization from the lodge to have a satellite lodge on Bagram. I was told that they accelerate the process since the environment is so dynamic... ie. people are only there for a few months at a time, constantly rotating in an out, and they meet a lot more often since no one has other responsibilities, (wife, kids, etc) in their barracks.

Like I said before, from the outside, it just looked designed to get the maximum dues before the guy moves on. Most people out there are getting a decent paycheck and don't spend as much of it as they would at home, so there's more disposable income in a more highly concentrated group of people who don't have anything better to do for a limited chunk of time. 

The younger guy on my team who went full circle was a really young black kid just out of the army, looking for somewhere to fit in. They were constantly hitting him up for dues, charity, event expenses, etc and all in he told me it cost him more than a few thousand dollars over the time he was going full circle. He was happy to do it though.

I know Masonry doesn't consider itself a religion, but man the people that get really into it are just as obsessed and devout as anyone I've ever seen to a religion. I was constantly hearing about how Masonry makes good men better and I should really consider requesting an invitation, hearing about how theres so much more "truth" out there, being invited to open houses and fundraisers, hearing bible references and lessons... it was like being surrounded by Mormons or Jehovahs Witnesses. lol. (and that's saying a lot, considering I'm Mormon. haha. Now I know how the non-Mormons in Utah feel). 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well the PH lodges here are all black guys, and from what I have witnessed they put WAY more emphasis on God than any lodge I have been involved with.  At the opening of my lodge, we say The Pledge of Allegiance To The United States,  sing the National Anthem and a short non-denominational prayer is said..... sort of like you would hear at the beginning of any sporting event, right?  IMHO that's not pushing religion.  We ask for a 1 time initiation fee of around $200 and the yearly dues are $70.  That's it, nobody has ever asked me for money.  There are boxes outside the lodge room where I can deposit cash at my leisure to Masonic charities. BTW Masonic charity is around 1 Million Dollars per day overall of the different Masonic bodies and there are many.

These normal lodges might be something you want to look into if you want to be a part of our great fraternity.  We strive to make good men better and we start within.  We also help non-Masons, like for instance the Shriners Hospitals.  My lodge gives away $20,000 per year directly to organizations within our small community, like the food bank, vol fire company, library, meal on wheels, wreaths across America, veteran orgs, etc.  Also we will give any Brothers HS Senior child a $1000 scholarship if they ask.   You are probably asking, where do they get all this money? We get ours from wise investments over the years and we use earned interest to make these donations.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
well the PH lodges here are all black guys, and from what I have witnessed they put WAY more emphasis on God than any lodge I have been involved with.  At the opening of my lodge, we say The Pledge of Allegiance To The United States,  sing the National Anthem and a short non-denominational prayer is said..... sort of like you would hear at the beginning of any sporting event, right?  IMHO that's not pushing religion.  We ask for a 1 time initiation fee of around $200 and the yearly dues are $70.  That's it, nobody has ever asked me for money.  There are boxes outside the lodge room where I can deposit cash at my leisure to Masonic charities. BTW Masonic charity is around 1 Million Dollars per day overall of the different Masonic bodies and there are many.

These normal lodges might be something you want to look into if you want to be a part of our great fraternity.  We strive to make good men better and we start within.  We also help non-Masons, like for instance the Shriners Hospitals.  My lodge gives away $20,000 per year directly to organizations within our small community, like the food bank, vol fire company, library, meal on wheels, wreaths across America, veteran orgs, etc.  Also we will give any Brothers HS Senior child a $1000 scholarship if they ask.   You are probably asking, where do they get all this money? We get ours from wise investments over the years and we use earned interest to make these donations.
View Quote
I agree about the demographic of the PH lodges, and that might have something to do with their religious fervor, but the sales pitch sounds the same. "good men better, btw, check out all the money we give away. You are probably asking yourself..." I really wasn't. nice humble brag, though.  That last paragraph really sounds like a copy/paste from the brochure.  

I'll let you get back to answering questions of guys here who might be interested in becoming masons. Good luck, sir. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:01:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Thank you for your service. 
I didn't copy paste this. I know it sounds familiar,  but this is what we do and we enjoy doing it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:09:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Sooooo.  Freemasonry is not about pablo and pedro building a brick wall?  Who knew.

Serious question, understand I have no interest in involving myself in an organization that is all, secret secret,I got out of one religious cult because of all the secret secret stuff.

Why does there appear to be such a divide among the freemasonry groups?  ie, black masons, etc.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
We also help non-Masons, like for instance the Shriners Hospitals.
View Quote

Here in TX a requirement of being a Shriner is first being a Master Mason.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I had a thread like this one on the old forum, but its buried in the archives, so I'm starting a new one.

View Quote

Why would you want to join an organization that you know nothing about?  My best friend is a high ranking Mason, and he even calls it Mumbo Jumbo.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sooooo.  Freemasonry is not about pablo and pedro building a brick wall?  Who knew.

Serious question, understand I have no interest in involving myself in an organization that is all, secret secret,I got out of one religious cult because of all the secret secret stuff.

Why does there appear to be such a divide among the freemasonry groups?  ie, black masons, etc.
View Quote

Not as secret as you think.  The big secrets are the passwords and handshakes.  Mostly it's a fraternity (with no alcohol in South Carolina).  Yes, we do charitable work.  We also have education sessions for the members and family fun nights.

The racial thing is not really a thing.  Some Lodges, like all organizations, have stupid racists that won't let in someone of another color.  There are white men in Prince Hall Masonry, and black men in non-Prince Hall Masonry.  If a black man petitioned my Lodge, he would get the same fair chance as anyone else.  However you will find that most people join where their friends are, and around me in general most whites petition the Ancient Lodge and most blacks petition the Prince Hall Lodge.  It's more like church in that manner.  Most blacks go to black churches, but I'm white and I'm certain I would be welcomed to a black church.  I go to a white church, and we welcome blacks.  Same with the Lodge.  We will not exclude someone based on race.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:34:54 AM EDT
[#31]
What is a solid reason for becoming a Mason?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's a different reason for must of us. My Grandfather was a Mason. I wanted to be just like him growing up. If he was a Mason it had to be a good organization. With that in mind I asked a buddy of mine who is a Mason about joining. Sadly this happened after my granddad passed. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not as secret as you think.  The big secrets are the passwords and handshakes.  Mostly it's a fraternity (with no alcohol in South Carolina).  Yes, we do charitable work.  We also have education sessions for the members and family fun nights.

The racial thing is not really a thing.  Some Lodges, like all organizations, have stupid racists that won't let in someone of another color.  There are white men in Prince Hall Masonry, and black men in non-Prince Hall Masonry.  If a black man petitioned my Lodge, he would get the same fair chance as anyone else.  However you will find that most people join where their friends are, and around me in general most whites petition the Ancient Lodge and most blacks petition the Prince Hall Lodge.  It's more like church in that manner.  Most blacks go to black churches, but I'm white and I'm certain I would be welcomed to a black church.  I go to a white church, and we welcome blacks.  Same with the Lodge.  We will not exclude someone based on race.
View Quote

I can understand that for the most part. As far as the secrets secret stuff. I guess to each his own. But I was told the same line growing up in Mormonism. I don't buy either excuse.

I guess my question should be more along the lines is it considered a Foundation of Freemasonry to reject certain individuals based solely on skin color? I say that knowing that there are churches as you described. And some of those churches try to use the Bible to justify their bigotry and racism. Of course, any Bible student can figure out that there is no way that they could justify the bigotry that they hold. It just seems in my few dealings with different Freemasons of different groups there's a lot of that that goes around.

Another question, if you are a Freemason. And you own a business. And you're looking to hire somebody. And you have 2 applicants come in one is very qualified for the position that you're offering, however the other is moderately qualified for the position you're offering however the Lesser qualified one is also a Freemason. Popular conception says that you're required by the bylaws or rules, or whatever it is you call them, of Freemasonry to give the job to the Freemason. At least as I have had to explain to me. So I guess really this is a two-part question. Number one is that true, and number 2, if you don't give it to the Freemason will you suffer consequences from the lodge?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Why would you want to join an organization that you know nothing about?  My best friend is a high ranking Mason, and he even calls it Mumbo Jumbo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask yourself why does he continue with it if it's all mumbo jumbo? 
I suspect he doesn't want you to join, otherwise he would explain it to you properly. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I can understand that for the most part. As far as the secrets secret stuff. I guess to each his own. But I was told the same line growing up in Mormonism. I don't buy either excuse.

I guess my question should be more along the lines is it considered a Foundation of Freemasonry to reject certain individuals based solely on skin color? I say that knowing that there are churches as you described. And some of those churches try to use the Bible to justify their bigotry and racism. Of course, any Bible student can figure out that there is no way that they could justify the bigotry that they hold. It just seems in my few dealings with different Freemasons of different groups there's a lot of that that goes around.

Another question, if you are a Freemason. And you own a business. And you're looking to hire somebody. And you have 2 applicants come in one is very qualified for the position that you're offering, however the other is moderately qualified for the position you're offering however the Lesser qualified one is also a Freemason. Popular conception says that you're required by the bylaws or rules, or whatever it is you call them, of Freemasonry to give the job to the Freemason. At least as I have had to explain to me. So I guess really this is a two-part question. Number one is that true, and number 2, if you don't give it to the Freemason will you suffer consequences from the lodge?
View Quote
Hire the qualified candidate. No where in the by laws, rules or regulations in Georgia is there anything about hiring practices in business. There will be no repercussions from the Lodge. How would they know?  In Georgia it's against Masonic code to use your ties to Freemafonry in business. 

If you join the lodge to further your career it's the wrong reason. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ask yourself why does he continue with it if it's all mumbo jumbo? 
I suspect he doesn't want you to join, otherwise he would explain it to you properly. 
View Quote
That was my thought. I have several friends who I know wouldn't make a good Mason. There isn't anything bad or wrong with them, I just happen to know they would be joining for the wrong reason or they're not a true believer in a supreme being. When asked I give them vague answers about what we do. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#37]
We don't care about your race.

All we ask is that you are a man of mature age, that you are a good person, that you have a favorable opinion of the craft, that you believe in a supreme being and that you desire to join us of your own free will. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Isn't that (currently) a requirement for all Shriners?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here in TX a requirement of being a Shriner is first being a Master Mason.

Yup... I think he's stating that for the profane.

The reason I used the Shriners hosp as an example is because most of the patients have no direct Masonic ties....we help all the children, no matter what.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
guys, he meant that the shriners hospital helps non-masons as an example of masons doing charity for non-masons. Shriner is one of the houses (purple, I believe), and you have to finish blue house, or master mason, before you can go to one of the other ones.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:17:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
ironically the secret stuff in both of those is almost identical to each other, apart from a few specific phraseology changes. lol. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:07:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's a different reason for must of us. My Grandfather was a Mason. I wanted to be just like him growing up. If he was a Mason it had to be a good organization. With that in mind I asked a buddy of mine who is a Mason about joining. Sadly this happened after my granddad passed. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a good reason for you but not me as none of my relatives were Masons as far as I can tell.

Anymore reasons?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That is a good reason for you but not me as none of my relatives were Masons as far as I can tell.

Anymore reasons?
View Quote
You have to have a desire to join. I can't come up with a reason for you. You either want to do this or not. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
ironically the secret stuff in both of those is almost identical to each other, apart from a few specific phraseology changes. lol. 
View Quote

Almost like someone copied someone.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You have to have a desire to join. I can't come up with a reason for you. You either want to do this or not. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anymore reasons?

I joined a gun club to hang out with people that shoot and to become a better shooter.

Am I just joining the Mason's to become a Mason?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I joined a gun club to hang out with people that shoot and to become a better shooter.

Am I just joining the Mason's to become a Mason?
View Quote
When someone asks what our objective is I tell them we take a good man and make him better. 
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your race is NEVER  indicated on a petition.   We do not, repeat, do not exclude based on race.  To do so is un-Masonic behavior and will get you kicked out.

My job has nothing to do with Masonry, other than it allows me the financial ability to support the Lodge.  I am under no obligations whatever to hire or work with someone based on being a Mason.  Hire the best candidate  always.  Business is business.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Anymore reasons?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anymore reasons?
For me in the beginning I wanted to do something that would expose me to different kinds of people from the area, that I would never have a chance to meet in my normal life. 
But then I realized something about Masonry and myself that I never knew or was exposed to and that has been my journey so far.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top