Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2016 9:11:28 AM EDT
What order does your lodge follow when starting out?  I have visited several and it seems like there really is not really a set pattern.  

Well my best friend went to the East and asked me to sit JD.  In our lodge rarely does one start out as the Tyler but in others that is the starting spot.  I can see the reason behind this as you do not get to experience the learning that can be had by watching and participating.

On another note, when do you start working on your certificate?

Thanks...
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#1]
In Wisconsin, you cannot be the Master unless you have already been elected and served as one of the Wardens.  There is no mandated "progressive line" for appointed officers.  Some Lodges do start at the Tyler.  Most don't because it puts the new guy outside.  

When I was Master I appointed a  PM.  So far, all the Masters since me have done the same.  I just got reappointed for the secind year.  It's probably just to keep me out.  :)  if we  have a candidate for a degree, I stay with him before his admission.  If we have one working on his Posting, I work with him.

Generally, most Lodges start at Junior Steward for the line.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#3]
We are a very small lodge (around 90 dues paying members) so the JS and SS are usually held by PMs who enjoy cooking.  The Marshal, Tyler, Secretary, and Treasurer are usually PM who wishes to stay involved and help train, but does not want to sit in the east again.  Usually we move from JD,SD,JW,SW,WM.  I was told to start working on my certificate once I reach the JW position since it is only good for three years.

Medicmandan:  You are only required to have one degree lecture memorized before you get your certificate?  I was told that we needed three.

Thanks for the information.  I am still new to everything and this is really an exciting time for me.  I enjoy being involved and since I have some time, what better way to spend it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:08:31 PM EDT
[#4]
One of my biggest issues with Lodges lately, including mine, is Brothers skipping over the SD and never learning the part. I skipped it because the SD wasn't ready to move on, but I still learned the part. It teaches the foundation of what the work entails and puts the officer on the spot in a position that isn't as essential to the craft as the top 3 officers.

I'm seeing guys skipping chairs and others entering the line and not following through/dropping out and the weight falls on the Past Masters of the Lodge. That sort of thing will kill a Lodge.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

SD was probably my favorite job.
View Quote

Mine also.  You have a special bond between the SD and the Brother who conducted you and who you conducted.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#8]
In South Carolina there is no set line of progression.  You cannot be WM unless you have been elected as a Warden or are a Past Master.  Generally my Lodge starts people as the Junior Deacon.  That may vary if we have a lot of newer guys that want to start through or older guys that want another go.  We elect the WM, SW, JW, Treas and Sec. in SC, all others are appointed.  I had two guys that wanted to get into line, but they don't show much dedication to attending practice.  I stuck them in the Steward chairs, since I expect both of them to wash out before they get to JD.  In my Lodge, we figure that once you get to JD, you are planning to go to WM.  We also expect you to attend practices, work days, fundraisers etc. if you are going to the East.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#9]
we have 500 members... there's never a chair empty.  There is no set progression, but to be Master, you have to have been a Warden for at least  a year, like the others above me have stated.

I started at JMC, then SMC for 2 years, then SD for 2 years, then I jumped out because another guy wanted to fast track it to the East and I really didn't want to go that far anyway.  Now I am a mentor and im fine with that.  I attend school of instruction every month too.

Our Lodge has a permanent Tyler, who is also a chef and does our meals, which BTW are top notch.  That way he can come and go to the dining room as needed... sometimes he sits in lodge for the better part of the meeting. 
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What is your average meeting attendance?

We only have 1700 Masons in the entire state.
View Quote

10% just like every other organization.  It kind of depends.. last night we did a 3rd on a cop.... in our state we have something called the "PIN Club"  its a degree team made up of all cops/detectives/atf/fbi, etc.  The President of that is in my district... he brought at least 25 LEO Brothers with him, 15 guests and our Officers were there, so it was a big turnout for the new MM.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top