Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/22/2016 10:37:51 PM EDT
We are going to get our private forum and Masonic icons with the new build!
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 11:12:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

We are going to get our private forum and Masonic icons with the new build!
View Quote

And u know this how?
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 5:32:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah how???
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 7:44:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm one of the volunteer beta testers for the new site and asked GoatBoy "TheBeerSlayer mentioned that a private Masonic board and/or Masonic badges were in the works a couple of years ago. Last I heard it was to be included in the new build; is that true? "

His response: "Yes and Yes. Private forum and a group icon "
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Private Forum?  There's no such thing.  Bad idea.  Icon?  That's cool.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Wonder when and who is going to do the verification and such?
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The beta site should go live in a couple of weeks as announced in the recent ARFCOM newsletter.  The changes are very significant, and it is a major upgrade.  There will be some growing pains, but I believe it will be well-received.  The new site may go live next week Link to GoatBoy update

There were some threads in the past discussing Masonic badges and/or a private board.  Goatboy stated in the last thread that the badges were to be included in a major upgrade; that was several months ago.  I answered a call to be a beta tester for the new site, and I asked Goatboy about the Masonic icon and private and/or "members only" board (like the hidden LEO forum) that had been discussed in those past threads in the Masonic Forum.  Goatboy replied in the affirmative.  I assume that The_Beer_Slayer and/or Masonic Forum moderators will vet access to the icon and private board.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 11:53:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Interesting.  I don't think it will much change how we communicate on Masonry through this forum though.  Vetting via a dues card for the icon and access to the forum is fine, but discussion will still need to be of the "un-tyled" type.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The beta site should go live in a couple of weeks as announced in the recent ARFCOM newsletter.  The changes are very significant, and it is a major upgrade.  There will be some growing pains, but I believe it will be well-received.  The new site may go live next week Link to GoatBoy update

There were some threads in the past discussing Masonic badges and/or a private board.  Goatboy stated in the last thread that the badges were to be included in a major upgrade; that was several months ago.  I answered a call to be a beta tester for the new site, and I asked Goatboy about the Masonic icon and private and/or "members only" board (like the hidden LEO forum) that had been discussed in those past threads in the Masonic Forum.  Goatboy replied in the affirmative.  I assume that The_Beer_Slayer and/or Masonic Forum moderators will vet access to the icon and private board.

Interesting.  I don't think it will much change how we communicate on Masonry through this forum though.  Vetting via a dues card for the icon and access to the forum is fine, but discussion will still need to be of the "un-tyled" type.

I agree
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Cool
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 1:23:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a question and concern about showing dues cards.  I understand that our dues cards are not super secret, however they are Masonic documents.  Copying them digitally or otherwise could not only open the door for counterfeiting, but would this not violate certain parts of our obligations?  I am completely unsure because nobody has ever seen my dues cards except for known Brothers or in a known physical lodge.  Also, the only true way to ensure my card is authentic is by the seal which would be hard to verify with a picture.  I also thought we were not allowed to share information about our members, or membership numbers.

I know this seems a bit "out there" but I don't even like sharing my drivers license.  I also do not have a solution but it is something to consider.  If there is no objection from my Grand Lodge then it is fine by me.  I may be totally wrong about all of this but wearing a ring, telling other people you are a member, giving out the basic membership requirements are all far different than showing documents and documenting information outside of a lodge.

Please enlighten me on this subject Brothers.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 6:06:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have a question and concern about showing dues cards.  I understand that our dues cards are not super secret, however they are Masonic documents.  Copying them digitally or otherwise could not only open the door for counterfeiting, but would this not violate certain parts of our obligations?  I am completely unsure because nobody has ever seen my dues cards except for known Brothers or in a known physical lodge.  Also, the only true way to ensure my card is authentic is by the seal which would be hard to verify with a picture.  I also thought we were not allowed to share information about our members, or membership numbers.

I know this seems a bit "out there" but I don't even like sharing my drivers license.  I also do not have a solution but it is something to consider.  If there is no objection from my Grand Lodge then it is fine by me.  I may be totally wrong about all of this but wearing a ring, telling other people you are a member, giving out the basic membership requirements are all far different than showing documents and documenting information outside of a lodge.

View Quote

All valid concerns.

When we discussed this last, the forum was not to be private, that way we didn't have to copy our documents...

It also allows us to share our experience with the profane.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 11:49:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

All valid concerns.
When we discussed this last, the forum was not to be private, that way we didn't have to copy our documents...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All valid concerns.

I agree with sharing our experiences.  A lot of our traffic in this forum comes from people seeking answers and guidance pertaining to Freemasonry.  We should be excited to have the opportunity to share with those seeking more light and embrace that.  I am not sure what a closed forum would provide and how it would benefit the craft.  We can still not share certain things on an online forum per our obligations.  Nothing we discuss is secret and the content can even be somewhat lacking.  Some of the best threads we have had are those in which we help others find local lodges and contacts in order to begin their journey.  A closed forum could also be misconstrued as a sort of clandestine lodge if it were not dealt with accordingly.

I mean no harm or ill will by my concerns.  I am simply bringing a few points to light for consideration by all.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:53:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 11:04:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 9:13:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I was under the impression that there would be two, from the past threads, this one and a new hidden one.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I was under the impression that there would be two, from the past threads, this one and a new hidden one.
View Quote

Since we cant express anything in written form, a private forum wouldn't get used.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Since we cant express anything in written form, a private forum wouldn't get used.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^This

Since we can't p,p, s,s c,c, m or e things already; what's the need for a private forum?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 7:51:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

^This

Since we can't p,p, s,s c,c, m or e things already; what's the need for a private forum?
View Quote

It could be good for discussions like the one regarding the GL of Arkansas, where it was suggested that the discussion went beyond what should be discussed in a public forum.

Now, I'm not advocating for the private board, I started this thread just passing along information.  However, someone, probably a few years ago, suggested that a private masonic discussion board be made to the site admins; I don't believe they just dreamed that up.  Another possibility is that the admins just assumed a private board would go along with the request for a masonic member icon.  Again, I'm not advocating for the private board, but it got on the upgrade "to do list" somehow.

On another related note, how will requests for a even a masonic badge icon be vetted given the discussions in this thread?
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:39:33 AM EDT
[#20]
So now that the new site is here, what's the word on a closed forum?  If it exists, should I send someone a scan of my dues card to gain access?
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 10:29:40 PM EDT
[#21]
What's the latest on the S&C?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:10:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
there is not one

have not heard anything on the logo
View Quote

I was trying to load a screenshot, but I can't get media to upload on the new site.

Here is my question and GoatBoy's response:

Me:  "TheBeerSlayer mentioned that a private Masonic board and/or Masonic badges were in the works a couple of years ago. Last I heard it was to be included in the new build; is that true?"

GoatBoy:  "Yes and Yes. Private forum and a group icon. "

Now, my question was based on my memory of past threads in the Masonic Forum on this topic.  Again, I wish I could post the screenshot, but here is the link to the thread.  Maybe TBS can access it to see that I'm not mistaken.  It's a closed forum.  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_184/1936299_Question--Will-there-be-a-private-Masonic-forum-in-the-new-build-.html
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:54:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

All valid concerns.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

All valid concerns.

If there ever is a "Masonic icon" to add to your profile without showing a dues card how would you decide who gets the icon?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:36:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If there ever is a "Masonic icon" to add to your profile without showing a dues card how would you decide who gets the icon?
View Quote

Scan of a dues card sent to the board moderator sounds like a plan to me.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Annually?
View Quote

No, just once.  I think that if you care enough to ask to be allowed into a forum here, you aren't likely to forget to pay dues every year.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 12:18:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 9:41:05 AM EDT
[#31]
what about a letter of good standing to travel in stead of a dues card?
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 10:49:51 PM EDT
[#32]
This is waaaaaaay off the Master's carpet.

A closed Masonic forum on Arf is dumb.  No matter what we try to do, and believe we've done, this can never be a tyled lodge.  Nor is it in someone's living room, or even in a corner of a bar.

We don't know each other.  A scaned dues card means nothing.  The established modes of recognition don't work here.  Anything we would try to do, that would require a "closed forum",  would violate the very first obligation we took.  Conversing is voice.  Anything else is, "w, p, p, s, s, c, c, m or i" ing.

Sorry, it's just the way it is.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:57:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I would like to see a hidden badge like LEO's have. Dues card to BeerSlayer is good enough for just that. Be nice to know if someone is 'on the level' when involved in a GD discussion...
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:15:28 AM EDT
[#34]
In the world of Google and Photoshop how difficult wiuld it be?  What's the obsession with this?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:45:51 PM EDT
[#35]
What other method would work to gain entry, or just have a badge under our avatar that only brother MM's could see?

Edit, I know you're saying nothing will work, but I'm not talking about having lodge on the Internet, just a reasonable way to recognize a brother. You can get the handshakes from the Internet too, doesn't reduce the significance when you meet a brother, does it? Doesn't have to be perfect or fool proof, just reasonable enough for what it is...
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#36]

4th row....sixth icon
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
What other method would work to gain entry, or just have a badge under our avatar that only brother MM's could see?

Edit, I know you're saying nothing will work, but I'm not talking about having lodge on the Internet, just a reasonable way to recognize a brother. You can get the handshakes from the Internet too, doesn't reduce the significance when you meet a brother, does it? Doesn't have to be perfect or fool proof, just reasonable enough for what it is...
View Quote

I was talking about for a closed forum, which is being bandied about.  For just a little do-dad that say, "Hey, I'm a Mason", a dues card would suffice.  Sorry if you thought I was speaking of just the do-dad.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:57:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:09:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:24:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
well lookie there!!!
View Quote

Can everybody see it or just MM's?

Edit, since I don't yet have one, I guess everybody can.

Can we possibly get it to where only MM's have it?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
i will begin updating badges for those that want them. i already did a few of you that i know. <if you don;t want it just say the word and i can remove>

for everyone else. email me a copy of your dues card. i will NOT keep them on file this is a one time thing. please include your screen name
View Quote
Thanks Bro!!!!
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#46]
See nowhere in the site email or IM to upload a picture??

Beer Slayer, can you IM me your email address, please?
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:37:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Thank you Brother!
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Got it done

Edit; And there it is!!!

Thank You Brother!!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top