Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2016 9:34:22 AM EDT
I hope you all don't mind my putting this here  I'd rather share this with family.

The past couple of months our German Shepherd was slowing down a bit.  But she's 11 so we thought she was getting old.  She played with the grand-kids on Sunday like normal.

When my wife got home yesterday day she didn't meet her at the door.  That never happens unless she's in her kennel.  She didn't want to get up.  Tricia took her to the vet and she had a tumor in her heart and another in her spleen that had ruptured.  She had not given us any indication at all.  The tough protector right to the end.

I'm worried about my mother-in-law.  She moved in with us three years ago and they were best friends.  I've never seen her act like she did with Katia.  She's 88 and now that she doesn't have her constant companion I'm worried.

She was a hell of a dog.  We got her from a kennel in the far northeastern part of the state, about a eight hour drive round trip.  When the breeder brought the litter in she ran straight to our youngest son.  That was it, she had chosen her family.  When we got in the car, she curled up on his lap and rode the whole way home without a single whimper.  When we went upstairs to bed, she turned the corner and saw the lab's dog bed.  She took off at a run, ducked her head when she got to it, did a somersault and was sound asleep instantly.

She was a better retriever than the lab we had.  You could play fetch and she would never stop.  When we had both, we'd take them over to Lake Michigan.  One day I threw a bumper far out into the lake.  The lab was of course the better swimmer, but she did a good job of keeping up.  Just as he was reaching out to grab it, she pulled a paw out of the water, put it on his head and dunked him.  She got the bumper and swam back with I swear a grin.  He came up looking around like, "What the hell?"

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry for your loss.

Time for a new pup once the grieving is done.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:45:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Last fall.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:48:26 AM EDT
[#3]
My condolences.  It's hard to lose a pal.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#4]
We were married in August of 1982. We got our first dog the week after Thanksgiving. This is the first time in over 33 years we haven't had one. It's weird.

When we went to bed last night, I started to go to the backdoor to let her out. This is going to take a while to get used to.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry for your loss, OP.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry about your friend.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 2:15:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I am deeply saddened to hear this terrible news. Take comfort in knowing that she is free of pain, and that she  enjoyed a wonderful life as your familys companion and protector.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 2:40:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 7:15:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Canine or Human, the loss of a family member is rough.

Prayers Brother.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#11]
My condolences
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 7:55:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Sorry, brother.  I know you are hurting.  Our girl (shep-mix) just turned 12.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 8:31:19 AM EDT
[#13]
So sorry for your loss, from a thorough dog person (and family).
We know what it means. She was gorgeous.

Embrace your pain and sorrow, better times in life will come again. It's just a matter of time and only the most beautiful memories will remain.

Phil.
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 10:01:34 AM EDT
[#14]
We met a very pregnant Golden and her owner yesterday.  We pulled in the drive and she got up from the garage and walked straight to me.  No one has put down a deposit on the pups yet.  She's due around July 8th.  I don't think she's going to make it that long.

My wife wants to jump right in.  I want to take some time.  But once I see the puppies, I'm probably screwed.  We may not be long without another.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#16]
We went and put a deposit down on a pup yesterday.  We're the first so we'll get the pick.  When I opened  my car door momma came over and laid her head on my knee before I could get out.  That was it.  I'm all in.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Puppies!

She ended up with 5 girl, 3 boys.

Yep, I'm done.  New puppy it is.

Link Posted: 7/3/2016 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, That can be hard.. we will loose out 10 year old Akita in the next year or two at most...It will be hard on wife and kids, to me it's just a dog and we will replace it...yeah no big deal...won't effect me at all
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top