Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2016 10:10:55 AM EDT
I visited a Lodge last night for a MM degree.  The WM took the gavel with him every time he left the East.  He kept it tucked into the belt of his apron.  In every other Lodge I've attended the WM left it on his station when he left it.

I've never observed this practice before, but I've only been a Mason for 18 years.  Is this common in other areas?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:55:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been the presiding officer of various organizations a total of 12 times, including a Grand body twice.  I've never heard of such a thing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been the presiding officer of various organizations a total of 12 times, including a Grand body twice.  I've never heard of such a thing.
View Quote

That's what I'm thinking.  This is my 4th go around at WM, and I've visited a LOT of Lodges in South Carolina.  I've never seen it before last night.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Not here. If I leave the East and you want it? It's yours!
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:59:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Absolutely.  He can do anything with it, until the GM fires him or his successor is installed, that he wants.

If he's carrying his tools like that, it should be during a FC Degree.   ;)
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Apparently it is a long standing tradition at this Lodge.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:47:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. The hat's mine but the gavel is the Lodge's.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 10:49:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Amen.

Link Posted: 5/21/2016 11:24:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I may not be clear.  He takes it with him around the room.  He doesn't keep it after his year is over.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 11:46:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Ive never seen that done before.

Some of our Masters have had their own gavels either made for them or they made themselves and those they take with them when their year is over.. Some of them bring them back if they ever confer a degree.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:19:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Some of our Masters have had their own gavels either made for them or they made themselves and those they take with them when their year is over.. Some of them bring them back if they ever confer a degree.

View Quote
When we install a new master we present him with a gavel, he brings it back before the installation of new officers and we put it on a plaque and present it to him at the annual communication.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 12:30:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#13]
my lodge must be an oddball. that gavel is yours. the lodge buys it for you. it has a brass band around it with your name and your year.

that being said, if you leave the east during a meeting, you leave the gavel.

however, you do take it home with you.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

my lodge must be an oddball. that gavel is yours. the lodge buys it for you. it has a brass band around it with your name and your year.

that being said, if you leave the east during a meeting, you leave the gavel.

however, you do take it home with you.
View Quote

That doesn't happen in my jurisdiction and I'm in PA too.

There is a lodge gavel. The WM uses it unless he chooses to use his own.  At the end of the year, the Master chooses what gift he wants from the lodge.. Most of the times it is an apron or a jewel.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When we install a new master we present him with a gavel, he brings it back before the installation of new officers and we put it on a plaque and present it to him at the annual communication.

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n599/cpl0313/Mobile%20Uploads/E31ABEB6-95B9-49A1-9551-1AE26C46F8E3_zpswewdkhyy.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n599/cpl0313/Mobile%20Uploads/E31ABEB6-95B9-49A1-9551-1AE26C46F8E3_zpswewdkhyy.jpg

Is it just me or did they spell Worshipful wrong?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn if it ain't!  
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is an awesome practice! It looks great!
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Damn if it ain't!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn if it ain't!  

That's the Georgia spelling.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn if it ain't!  

Sorta,  posted it to our officers page and it'll be fixed next week.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:11:07 PM EDT
[#20]
In Maryland, you take it with you in your apron belt as above. If it's a meeting with a lot of visitors or serious work, nobody will say anything if you leave it in the East. However, if it's some business meeting with nothing really going on....you better damned well take it with you or it won't be there when you walk back to the East.

Our Lodge is fun and it should be. I've been to stuffy Lodges where they struggle to get members to show up because they're always about business. Playing around a little can add levity that doesn't create discord in the Lodge.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In Maryland, you take it with you in your apron belt as above. If it's a meeting with a lot of visitors or serious work, nobody will say anything if you leave it in the East. However, if it's some business meeting with nothing really going on....you better damned well take it with you or it won't be there when you walk back to the East.

Our Lodge is fun and it should be. I've been to stuffy Lodges where they struggle to get members to show up because they're always about business. Playing around a little can add levity that doesn't create discord in the Lodge.
View Quote

So it's ok to make goat sounds as a candidate is being let by the c-t around the Lodge?
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 8:25:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So it's ok to make goat sounds as a candidate is being let by the c-t around the Lodge?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait...is that not ok?
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 12:27:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

As the Grand Lecturer this year I have had the opportunity to see more degrees than I have in the previous 10.  I will say that I am very disappointed to hear those types of discussions around a candidate prior to initiation.  I think it detracts from the serious and solemn nature of the degree.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait...is that not ok?

As the Grand Lecturer this year I have had the opportunity to see more degrees than I have in the previous 10.  I will say that I am very disappointed to hear those types of discussions around a candidate prior to initiation.  I think it detracts from the serious and solemn nature of the degree.  

I agree.  I stopped an EA degree at the inner door because of what some of his work mates and my brethren had done to him.  I had to explain to him the injustice I felt like was done to him.  I also spoke to the brethren who did it and spoke to them in private and they haven't been back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top