Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2016 9:26:39 AM EDT
Would be normal to visit a lodge before you petition for membership? I visited our local lodge last month. I didn't know anybody there, nobody there knew me. I did like the age range they had in attendance as I seemed to be right in the middle of the group. Just how much will they learn about me in the investigation and interview? Enough to know me? I doubt it. I have heard people say that after just 1 or 2 visits everybody knows enough about each other to move on with the petition. I don't really believe that either. But I don't think I need to hang around for a year or better. I'm just wondering what the average length of time is enough to know that both sides are comfortable with each other. Just remember, I moved here 2 years ago for a job, didn't know a soul when I arrived, and don't know a lot of people still.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I visited the lodge and talk to the brothers several times over 6 months before I submitted my petition.

I think most petitions visit at least a couple of times, usually more.

I don't think the number of times is that important.  The goals of your visits should be to get to know the brothers well enough to know that you want to associate with them and them getting to know you well enough to feel comfortable signing  your petition.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#3]

If you know a Brother, then visiting the lodge isn't necessary. I never visited before I was  voted on, but I had 2 signers.

Don't know anyone I take it? Have dinner a couple of times. Submit a petition. Let them investigate you. We want to make sure you are who you say, and all that will come out when we visit your home.  We want good men, because that's what we are. We are not in the business of taking bad men and making them better. Good men know how to spot another good man.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 3:23:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know a soul here. If I were to move back home, I could send a petition by mail, and be voted in before I could get my stuff packed up and make the move. Why? because 3 of the officers in the lodge are my family and most everyone there knows me through my grandfather and watched me grow up. Not bragging about it, just saying that I am well known in what would be my lodge. But here, I don't know many people, and nobody in the lodge. I understand that they need to make sure I am a good fit for them, but I also need to feel like they are a good fit for me. If not, I will not be active, and eventually lose interest and drop out. If I decide to join, I want to make this work out for both the lodge and myself. We all don't have to be on the same page, as long as we are in the same book.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't know a soul here. If I were to move back home, I could send a petition by mail, and be voted in before I could get my stuff packed up and make the move. Why? because 3 of the officers in the lodge are my family and most everyone there knows me through my grandfather and watched me grow up. Not bragging about it, just saying that I am well known in what would be my lodge. But here, I don't know many people, and nobody in the lodge. I understand that they need to make sure I am a good fit for them, but I also need to feel like they are a good fit for me. If not, I will not be active, and eventually lose interest and drop out. If I decide to join, I want to make this work out for both the lodge and myself. We all don't have to be on the same page, as long as we are in the same book.
View Quote

Why didn't you join back home when it would have been easy?

You know you are welcome in any lodge in any location.  If you join that lodge and don't like it, you may visit other lodges anytime you want.  You can even transfer to another one if you desire.

Link Posted: 5/19/2016 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I requested a petition on my third visit and submitted on my 4th (we meet monthly). But I also reached out to several of the brothers and spent some time with them individually and as a group before I filled out the form.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top