Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2016 5:24:19 PM EDT
Well,  it's going along.  I think we could be doing more, but as with all things I've only got a few dedicated guys to help out.

Blythewood Lodge, No. 395 AFM was founded in 1960.  We built stage one of the building in 1961 (Lodge room and bathrooms), the dining hall in 1974, and the kitchen in 1978.  The floor was carpeted in the original building in 1984.  The interior of the Lodge  and dining hall were painted in 2010, and the last exterior painting was in 1988.  The roof was replaced 1998.  

The officers meet every Tuesday.  Our regular communication is the first Tuesday.  We practice every week we do not have a meeting or work.  I have each committee meet before practice on a rotating schedule so everyone is aware of what's going on with the committees.  I also started the practice of giving a written agenda for every meeting which has shocked the old timers.  

I took office officially December 27.  The building committee met right before Christmas.  Several things came up...

January meeting we discussed and voted to replace the roof.  It did not lay over, but was motioned and voted unanimously in under 10 minutes.  Three days later the crew came and replaced 78 squares of shingles in one day.  Done for 25-30 years.  We had an EA degree

February we voted to make new Lodge embroidered shirts and window decals for the brothers.  The decals were ordered the next day, and were in the mail by the following week.  Shirt order is ongoing until July.  We had a FC degree.

March we voted to paint the exterior of the Lodge and replace the carpet in the hallway, office and changing room.  I sourced commercial carpet squares from an office that was being remodeled.  The blue carpet tiles were less than one year old before the building they were in was sold, and the new owner didn't like them.  I convinced the new owner of that building to remove them and deliver them to us for free.  New carpet; zero dollars.  We voted to have the Lodge room carpet cleaned by a pro.  Dates were set for work days.  The candidate wasn't ready for his MM degree.  We had the first Easter Egg hunt that our Lodge has hosted in nearly 30 years.  This family event was attended by 15 kids and 45 adults.  That was triple the expected turnout so I'd call it a success.  The building committee began work on plans to replace the commercial tile in the dining hall with ceramic tile.  The old tile has shrunk, cracked and are coming up and it's time for replacement.  Money is being raised as all details are being worked out.  Once the money is there and the plans are sorted it will come to the Lodge to vote on.  We anticipate this to be in August.  

April we discussed the upcoming 4 fundraisers.  We painted the exterior of the Lodge (25 gallons of no fun at all over two weekends).  The building committee began pulling up the landscaping planted in 1963.  New bushes and plants were found and the owners were convinced to donate them without causing an added expense to the Lodge.  We had a MM degree.

May we voted to host what we hope will be an annual horse shoe pitching competition among the two districts near us.  We ordered shirts for the Rodeo fundraiser.  We agreed on all final details for the Boston Butt fundraiser.  We set the price for the chicken BBQ fundraiser.  We set plans for hosting a site for a community wide yard sale which is a fundraiser as we are renting slots and will sell some surplus furniture we have stored.  We replaced the carpet (okay, I replaced the carpet, but I had help for about two hours) as voted by the brothers.  The officers were asked to perform the final EA degree that Eau Claire Lodge, No. 344 will hold in their original building.  That 91 year old Lodge has to move before June 1 as the city is widening the road and it will go through the middle of their building.  The officers of Eau Claire were not prepared adequately to perform the ritual work.

We have been invited by the Grand Secretary to tour the Grand Lodge Museum and Library on June 11.  That will be our second family fun day.  

We still need to fund and lay 1800 square feet of tile, replace the ancient landscaping, replace the road sign and plan and fund a parking lot surfacing.   Plus run the fundraisers and the horseshoe tournament.  The Widow's Committee meets this coming Tuesday, and I need to light a fire under them to plan some events for the ladies.  Plans to repaint the interior of the Lodge hall in 2017 are being made.

Considering I have about 7 guys that regularly can be counted on for physical work outside of fundraisers, I think we are doing okay.  Hopefully we can pick up the pace and get something done this year.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 5:26:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I know, TLDR
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 9:39:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow!  It sounds like you've been busy and the work you are doing will benefit the lodge for years.

Good for you!

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:31:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Sounds like your year is going great.

About the agendas.... The best Master I have worked with handed out an outline before practice. The outline also indicated what activities were coming up and what the next months plans were.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 2:35:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top