Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2016 4:27:50 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone in the WV area would be willing to sit down with me and let me pick their brains on joining. My father and Grandfather was a Mason and Id like to know how to join, only thing is I moved to WV and have no idea were or how far an lodge is. Figure Id ask here and do some google fuing to see what happens. Thanks.

ETA - Found one an hour away and when I called I got no answer. Says they meet the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month but no times. Also not sure how theyd feel about me just showing up on a Friday to ask questions.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:01:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Call the lodge throughout the day of the stated meeting time. People will be there so they will answer the phone. Tell them who you are and what your intentions are and they can direct you in the steps you have to take to join the brotherhood. They may even tell you to come up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:01:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Show up. Dinner is usually at 6:30. Meetings start at 7:30. Don't be shy, they'd love to have you.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Ill try calling Friday, I know this Friday isn't the correct one though and ill try next Friday as well. If that doesn't work Ill just try and stop by.

Quoted:
Show up. Dinner is usually at 6:30. Meetings start at 7:30. Don't be shy, they'd love to have you.
View Quote

Makes it sound like I'm going to be dinner n
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ill try calling Friday, I know this Friday isn't the correct one though and ill try next Friday as well. If that doesn't work Ill just try and stop by.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dress nice, Coat and tie with slacks at a minimum.  Some lodges wear suits at every meeting some wear overalls. Go with a open mind and ask all the questions you want. You'll be welcomed in like an old friend.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#5]
That's going to be hard considering I'm flat broke as a skunk, (got laid off from a job and just moved) I do have dress pants and a nice shirt though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That's going to be hard considering I'm flat broke as a skunk, (got laid off from a job and just moved) I do have dress pants and a nice shirt though.
View Quote
That'll work. There is a monetary amount that will be "required" to join. It the fees for the material you'll get while going thru the degrees and fees to grand lodge.  It isnt much. Good luck in the job hunt.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 9:20:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That'll work. There is a monetary amount that will be "required" to join. It the fees for the material you'll get while going thru the degrees and fees to grand lodge.  It isnt much. Good luck in the job hunt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya, Ive read that part someplace and I've contacted another order I was hoping to join but they have not contacted me back as of a week.

Thanks. Job hunt is going ok, I still have a part time job and hit up some jobs from past people asking for interviews so well see what happens. Really hoping for the sheriff and or voly rescue squad.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 10:37:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 9:51:26 PM EDT
[#9]

driving an hour to a lodge is pretty far.  

here is the WV grand lodge website. http://www.wvmasons.org/ there is a lodge locator there.

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

here is the WV grand lodge website. http://www.wvmasons.org/ there is a lodge locator there.

View Quote

That's the site I found the one in Moorfield for, number 29.
I plan on trying to call the same day before I head out. Just hate showing up unannounced.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I plan on trying to call the same day before I head out. Just hate showing up unannounced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Those phone numbers are the residences of the WM and Secretary. You should have no problem getting and answer or call back.  Call today.  Tell them why you are calling.

Ive personally helped quite a few men from ARF get info on lodges and I have even made the first contact for them.   If you want, you can send me and email.

Link Posted: 2/29/2016 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#12]
PM sent
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, just talked to a guy in Moorfield, because I have not lived here in the state for a year I cannot join until next year.

Maybe the other organization I'm looking at will allow me to join if they get back to me.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Well, just talked to a guy in Moorfield, because I have not lived here in the state for a year I cannot join until next year.

Maybe the other organization I'm looking at will allow me to join if they get back to me.
View Quote

how long have you lived there?

what was the other organization?

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Ive been here since end of November.

I'll send a pm.

ETA - Also the one in Moorfield said there is one here in Romney, close by work. I'll have to find it tomorrow so save a 45 min trip there.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Ive been here since end of November.

I'll send a pm.

ETA - Also the one in Moorfield said there is one here in Romney, close by work. I'll have to find it tomorrow so save a 45 min trip there.
View Quote
I'll try to email you. The org you mentioned will not give you the brotherhood you seek, infact its nothing like Masonry.  You want to join a lodge thats close to you IMHO.  You will make friends and you will want to participate in lodge functions.  Being an hour away makes it a burden.

Link Posted: 3/10/2016 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#17]
They have jurisdictions in WV.  You'll want to be within your jurisdiction and an hour sounds like it's outside of that. There should be a lodge that covers the area you live in.  Most information you will find online is way outdated and the phone numbers are old.  The best bet is to call the Grand Lodge of WV who can then direct you.  Some lodges in small town WV are very small and hard to find.  Things work very slowly in WV.  Many members are older and it takes them some time to get things done.

Oh yeah, calling the lodge isn't a great plan because in my experience nobody is ever there unless there is a meeting.  If there is a meeting or dinner they probably can't hear the phone or just don't answer it.  We usually use cell phones to call each other these days.

We'll get you steered in the right direction.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 10:11:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Let me get one fact straight.  You do live in Moorefield?  Like in the town of Moorefield?  That is way far out there and pretty well out of my area of expertise, however the process should be the same regardless.  First call the Grand Lodge of WV and they will get you the information you need.  If I can find out what lodges are out there i'll let you know.  You can always send me a PM here with questions.

Moorefield is a very isolated area.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 10:23:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Very slowly? Now that is an understatement here...

I did find a lodge here in town, Romney area and its 15 mins away. They said to wait a year since I just moved here and that I need to find two brothers here to talk to who would be willing to vouch for me. I do understand but at the same time, as I am wanting to put roots down here and already have a WV DL and CCH I wouldn't have thought it would make much of a difference. Id hate to contact the guy a 3rd or 4th time and pester him with questions bout joining as with this being a small town I don't wanna spread any rumors or shit.

Seriously, I have had dogs shit bigger then this town and isolated, damn. spend half a tank just driving to wallyworld now wereelse I could just drive across town in KS . Do love the small town feel as everyone I have met with the exception of a hand full have been nice.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I did find a lodge here in town, Romney area and its 15 mins away. They said to wait a year since I just moved here and that I need to find two brothers here to talk to who would be willing to vouch for me. I do understand but at the same time, as I am wanting to put roots down here and already have a WV DL and CCH I wouldn't have thought it would make much of a difference. Id hate to contact the guy a 3rd or 4th time and pester him with questions bout joining as with this being a small town I don't wanna spread any rumors or shit.

Seriously, I have had dogs shit bigger then this town and isolated, damn. spend half a tank just driving to wallyworld now wereelse I could just drive across town in KS . Do love the small town feel as everyone I have met with the exception of a hand full have been nice.
View Quote

Think about this; the lodge meets once a month, if you petition today and they meet next week, your petition would be read and a committee formed to meet with you before the next stated meeting. Then, the committee reports back and they vote on you. Then they will reach out to you and let you know the outcome, and your initiation scheduled. The process could take up to three months, depending on the timing of things. Good things are worth waiting for. If you're seeking brotherhood, be patient. If you're seeking drinking buddies, join the Elks.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That can get more complicated if they go dark in the summer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think about this; the lodge meets once a month, if you petition today and they meet next week, your petition would be read and a committee formed to meet with you before the next stated meeting. Then, the committee reports back and they vote on you. Then they will reach out to you and let you know the outcome, and your initiation scheduled. The process could take up to three months, depending on the timing of things. Good things are worth waiting for. If you're seeking brotherhood, be patient. If you're seeking drinking buddies, join the Elks.

That can get more complicated if they go dark in the summer.

Ah yes, cant forget about the dark months.
Link Posted: 3/14/2016 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, could always be worse I guess...

Dark months in the summer eh?
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 1:41:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 2:48:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Typically, lodges close in July/August.  I've heard a number of reasons why.  Buildings have/had no AC so it was too hot to hold meetings.  Farmers needed to be in the fields.  Summertime was for families.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, could always be worse I guess...

Dark months in the summer eh?

Typically, lodges close in July/August.  I've heard a number of reasons why.  Buildings have/had no AC so it was too hot to hold meetings.  Farmers needed to be in the fields.  Summertime was for families.

Just for reference, none of our lodges in WV go dark in the summer currently.  We usually pick up a lot of guys from PA in the summer.  Always great to have them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I did find a lodge here in town, Romney area and its 15 mins away. They said to wait a year since I just moved here and that I need to find two brothers here to talk to who would be willing to vouch for me.

View Quote

I sat in lodge with a Past District Deputy Grand Master of the 12th District WV last Wednesday.  I spoke specifically about this issue.

He said under NO circumstances should you be required to know two brothers to vouch for you.  You do have to be a resident of WV for 1 year.

He offered his assistance if the Romney lodge insists you need to know 2 bros.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top