Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2015 4:19:23 PM EDT
Hello Brethren!  I'm about ready to start my stint as Jr. Warden and was wondering what tips you all my have for memorization?  I've got tons to learn, and I've been trying to break it down.  I learn few lines a day at work, then recite them out loud on my way home (very long drive).  

So what say you?  What tips and tricks have you all employed to learn your charges, degrees, etc?
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Write it down several times and recite them like your doing. That way you have several ways of importing the memory and keeping it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 1:43:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 7:09:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Write it down several times and recite them like your doing. That way you have several ways of importing the memory and keeping it.
View Quote

I w n w, p, p, s, s, c, c, m o e t...
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Some really great advice, thanks all! I'm going to try recording it tonight.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

Bro, may not be a clear violation of your oath, but its damn close.

BTW, these other Brothers are from other states, their obligations sometimes vary significantly from ours.  Be mindful of that.

ETA, I learned all my stuff by sitting in every lodge meeting for the past 5 years, attending 2 extra meetings a month and school of instruction. You also have your ritual book as a guide.

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I learn a line and then add the next one.  When I get the third I add it.  If I make a mistake, I go back to the begging and start reciting it all over.  Make a mistake, start over.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
.  In Utah, it goes on to say w t s may bc l o i t a p o ps u t w c o H, and t-by t ss o Fmy b u o t m u.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I learn a line and then add the next one.  When I get the third I add it.  If I make a mistake, I go back to the begging and start reciting it all over.  Make a mistake, start over.

.  In Utah, it goes on to say w t s may bc l o i t a p o ps u t w c o H, and t-by t ss o Fmy b u o t m u.

does not compute in PA

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

BTW, these other Brothers are from other states, their obligations sometimes vary significantly from ours.  Be mindful of that.

ETA, I learned all my stuff by sitting in every lodge meeting for the past 5 years, attending 2 extra meetings a month and school of instruction. You also have your ritual book as a guide.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand what you are saying, but I'm working on the opening charge... which is posted on our website  But thank you for looking out for a brother.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I've tried different techniques, but say I have yet to find a replacement for repetition, repetition, repetition.

Seriously, if written down, keep reading it to yourself over and over. I've found vocalizing or subvocalizing adds to it.

If not, written down, work with your instructor to get it in your head, even haltingly, and then repeat it to yourself over and over.

My practice times are in the car commuting to and from work.

It's worked for me. I was raised in June of 2013 and am 3/4s of the way to a gold card.

S&F,
SMS-ret
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I understand what you are saying, but I'm working on the opening charge... which is posted on our website  But thank you for looking out for a brother.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Charges are fair game to recording or writing.  Good luck!

Link Posted: 10/23/2015 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#13]
do it live. Seriously, get a few brothers together (maybe after closing one night) and mock your way through it. I'd be willing to bet you know more to it than you think you do.
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
do it live. Seriously, get a few brothers together (maybe after closing one night) and mock your way through it. I'd be willing to bet you know more to it than you think you do.
View Quote

I have no shortage of awesome brethren willing to help out.  My work schedule is just rough at the moment.  I've been saying it over and over on the commute (1 hr each way), but time is running short!
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Are the charges in the Craftsman?  IF they are then you only need to remember what goes in the blanks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 11:21:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Are the charges in the Craftsman?  IF they are then you only need to remember what goes in the blanks.
View Quote
In Georgia, there is a charge at all three degrees

Link Posted: 12/15/2015 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

if you choose to go the recording method, may i strongly recommend you not tell ANYONE. you are right on the verge of violating your o&o....and, remember the penalty for a j.w.

(i say as i head for the south as of saint John's day next)
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Find a Brother in the lodge to work with you. Phones are your friend if you cannot get together.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Same here.  Going back to the beginning each time can be tedious though.  I create re-set points sort of.  If I a made a mistake on the obligation, I would re-do that portion, not the from the very beginning.  
Remember, you have a LIW and DIW...let them do their jobs.
Best of luck
Fr.
Wor. Mike

Quoted:

That method works for me as well.  The lectures I learn best by hearing them start to finish over and over again.  The digital version works great for me in that aspect (for the most part they are not ciphered).

That portion of the obligation is interpreted differently by different people.  In Utah, it goes on to say w t s may bc l o i t a p o ps u t w c o H, and t-by t ss o Fmy b u o t m u.  My digital files are secured.  They can only be accessed by me.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That method works for me as well.  The lectures I learn best by hearing them start to finish over and over again.  The digital version works great for me in that aspect (for the most part they are not ciphered).

That portion of the obligation is interpreted differently by different people.  In Utah, it goes on to say w t s may bc l o i t a p o ps u t w c o H, and t-by t ss o Fmy b u o t m u.  My digital files are secured.  They can only be accessed by me.  

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:31:54 AM EDT
[#20]
We have practice at lodge every Tuesday except the night of our stated meeting.  We work on upcoming degrees and if nothing is on the calendar we go through open, close, and any sticking points.  I'm going to work on pulling in more Masonic education at practice and go into the why behind the ritual.  Sometimes understanding why you are doing something a particular way helps it stay with you.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:21:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Our Grand Lodge  just had a trial on a Mason who recorded ritual work as a study aid.  He is no longer a Mason in South Carolina.

I would echo meeting with a few brothers  to help you through.  My Lodge meets every week to practice.   After a few months it is a BS session, but it's fun.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I just picked up Jay Dub as well and I used sing song.  I find speaking in infelctions allowed me to hit all the words correctly by making it a "song" rather than straight memorization
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Our Grand Lodge  just had a trial on a Mason who recorded ritual work as a study aid.  He is no longer a Mason in South Carolina.

I would echo meeting with a few brothers  to help you through.  My Lodge meets every week to practice.   After a few months it is a BS session, but it's fun.
View Quote

Again... I would reiterate.. I was working on the opening charge.  Which is posted on the interwebz.. not much secret ritual there.  

As an update, all is well, I passed off on my opening charge, and business of the lodge.  Next step.. learn the 2nd Degree! :)
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Again... I would reiterate.. I was working on the opening charge.  Which is posted on the interwebz.. not much secret ritual there.  

As an update, all is well, I passed off on my opening charge, and business of the lodge.  Next step.. learn the 2nd Degree! :)

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you know another degree?

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't.  I don't want to start on the 3rd, and so many people are learning the 1st, I figured it would be more beneficial to start on the 2nd.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I don't.  I don't want to start on the 3rd, and so many people are learning the 1st, I figured it would be more beneficial to start on the 2nd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

in my jurisdiction and perhaps the whole state of PA, you have to know 2 degrees before the tail end of your SW year or they will not put you on the ballot for WM.

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I think that the is a difference here.   Do you mean the lectures that come at the end of the ceremony or the obligations?   I don't know any lectures but I know the degree work for all three degrees in all of the positions and the past master degree.  I was the master of ceremony for the last four years though.  I did a lot of studying to learn it.  It wasn't easy.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 1:16:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I think that the is a difference here.   Do you mean the lectures that come at the end of the ceremony or the obligations?   I don't know any lectures but I know the degree work for all three degrees in all of the positions and the past master degree.  I was the master of ceremony for the last four years though.  I did a lot of studying to learn it.  It wasn't easy.
View Quote

No, I mean every word from start to finish, including the charges.

PA is  different than SC. Even though we are all brothers our state has different ways of doing things.  We even have different signs.  They are similar, but the way we throw them is different.  Our officer positions have similar names and different responsibilities.  

Its late, I'll have to get back to this later.

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
in my jurisdiction and perhaps the whole state of PA, you have to know 2 degrees before the tail end of your SW year or they will not put you on the ballot for WM.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's correct, same here.  JW - Opening Charge, SW - Opening Charge, Closing Charge, Business of the Lodge.  WM - all previoius + 2 degrees.  I've got a little time left for the degree work... I know I know.. the earlier i start..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top