Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2015 8:46:39 PM EDT
Our Lodge has a tradition of sharing a Gavel with our Brothers across the U.S./Canada Border near Montreal. We (officially its the DDGM) take it up to a lodge in the neighboring Canadian Jurisdiction in the fall, and they return it to a lodge in our district in the spring  . When we visit their Lodge at supper, there are many toasts, to the queen, to our Pres. to their GM, our GM, the master of the lodges.....
Our Lodge doesn't allow alcohol ( nor gambling,dancing, nor making or showing movies!!).

Do any of my Brothers here follow the same tradition??
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 1:41:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We have a traveling gavel but do it a little different.  It usually starts with the new GMs home lodge.  It takes four (I think) visitors from another lodge to claim it from them.  It is supposed to encourage folks to visit other lodges.
View Quote
That's a good idea.... I'm going to present it to our district deputy...

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#3]
We do it based on numbers of brothers showing up for degree work at the lodge where the gavel is residing. If the hometown team outnumbers the grand total of brothers from any one lodge they retain it. If a lodge brings the most members to do work at the lodge holding they take it home, as well as a contribution to the childrens home in the name of the lodge "winning" it. Everyone wins. The childrens home wins, extra brothers at the work night for the lodge holding the gavel, the team taking it home wins bragging rights. Fun for all!
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I like that idea.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We do it based on numbers of brothers showing up for degree work at the lodge where the gavel is residing. If the hometown team outnumbers the grand total of brothers from any one lodge they retain it. If a lodge brings the most members to do work at the lodge holding they take it home, as well as a contribution to the childrens home in the name of the lodge "winning" it. Everyone wins. The childrens home wins, extra brothers at the work night for the lodge holding the gavel, the team taking it home wins bragging rights. Fun for all!

I like that idea.

Pretty much how we do ours.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
We have a traveling gavel but do it a little different.  It usually starts with the new GMs home lodge.  It takes four (I think) visitors from another lodge to claim it from them.  It is supposed to encourage folks to visit other lodges.
View Quote

This is what my lodge does . It requires one of the wardens to retrieve the gavel and 4 members.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 7:37:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
This is what my lodge does . It requires one of the wardens to retrieve the gavel and 4 members.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish somebody would come get ours.

Link Posted: 11/15/2015 9:12:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

how long have you had it?

Link Posted: 11/15/2015 9:20:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

About 5 years.

We also have the " Hill/Vill"  trophy if your lodge has a hill or ville in it you get it, five members present
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top