Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2015 1:09:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I plotted the data for the whole U.S. from the link you posted to see if any interesting trends stood out.  The decline is remarkably steady (to my eyes anyway) from the 1959 peak.  An optimist could say that the decline for the U.S. may be starting to level off (?).

Link Posted: 9/6/2015 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting link.

At our lodge we are holding our own. 107 members, of which ~15 are active. But it's been slowly on the upswing. The last meeting we voted in two new members and have a third about to drop a petition.

I think in WA we are turning a corner, or at least bottoming.  Who knows.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Masonry competes with churches and many, many other benevolent organizations for the average good man in the US today.   In most other organizations, there is no barrier to entry (degrees and work) and they are more inclusive of wives and family.  So, why make this giant commitment to masonry when joining the "WalkForTheCure" is so easy.

In addition, the "No Recruiting" policy doesn't allow our message to get out to the better candidates.  Our grand lodges do a poor job of promoting the benefits of joining the craft.

Edit:  BTW, my lodge has about 160 members and 20 active. We lose about as many to death as we add each year through degrees.  Five years ago we struggled to have a quorum for our stated meetings.  Now, by focussing on developing new candidates, we average 15-20 for stated meetings.  It's about fellowship and personal development, not charity work.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:It's about fellowship and personal development, not charity work.
View Quote

Yes, yes and WHAT!?

Freemasonry is the single greatest philanthropic organization in the history of the world.  Help, aid and assist!  Help, aid and assist!  How many times have you said those words?  Help, aid and assist!  At least three times.

You want to get good men to ask more about Freemasonry?  Explain the six things we promise.  To help, aid and assist our fellow man.  And to never cheat, wrong or defraud him.  That's it in a nutshell.  Help, aid and assist!  And, we're damn good at it.  Millions upon millions of dollars a day good at it.

People walk for the cure because they want to, in some small way, help someone else.  Help?  Show them burn victims healed.  Show them crippled children walking.  Show them peripheral artery disease cured.  Show them dyslexic children reading.  Show them diabetics walking and seeing.  Or tell them some vague, "I can't tell you, but we make good men better.".   See which one gets more good men who want to better themselves.

That's the message we need to be spreading.  And we suck at it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top