Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:54:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
to some degree i think this is a good thing. it shows that we are willing to discuss things in an adult fashion and educate each other. Everything has a good and bad aspect. it's how we deal with the bad stuff that makes this special. Even in a disagreement, everyone is still my brother.
View Quote

I think "homosexuals" are as foreign to me as a two headed alien from Mars would be. Having said that if I encountered a "homosexual" Mason I would treat him with respect courtesy just as I would a clandestine mason (Prince Hall- per GL) and even extend Brotherly Love but I will not consider him worthy. Even in my disagreement and un-acceptance of them I respect that someone thought him worthy.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
To clarify, I'm not a Mason but a Christian, a former police detective and majored in American History, Political Science, American Government and Law (including upper level classes in Constitutional Law) at the "U".  I'm identifying my background so you will understand where I'm coming from when I make the following observations.

(1)  The Supremes did not "legitimize" homosexuality or same sex marriage as some have suggested because they don't have the Constitutional authority to do so. Only Congress has the authority to legislate (pass laws) and then only in those areas specifically authorized by the Constitution.  And none of the Constitutionally authorized areas include sex, marriage or homosexuality.  What the Supreme Court did do was arrogantly exceed its Constitutional authority by trespassing in areas where it isn't legally allowed to go. (Read the 10th Amendment for enlightenment).

(2)  As can be seen by reading this thread, the Supremes' "same sex marriage" ruling will have profound negative consequences in many areas of national life, including within the Freemasons.  And while many of these consequences may have been unintended by the Court, they nevertheless were generated by the Court, are happening and will no doubt keep happening.

View Quote

I wish your first point was true. America has been hi-jacked. Your second point is fact.  I don't recognize my Nation any more.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

you need to take some time and study masonic philosophy. you need to understand the WHY of using the bible for instruction and you need to understand WHY we require a belief in deity. you also need to understand WHY we do not define what or who that supreme being is. All of that is covered in a basic study of masonic principles. Sadly none of that is taught in any blue lodge here.

not trying to be proactive or condescending, but based on you posts you have very little understanding of masonry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, as the surviving spouse of a Brother they should be.

Wow. I will never accept the legitimacy of same sex marriages. No Lodge that I am a member of will admit a homosexual. If from another lodge I consider him clandestinely made.

Freemasonry is not a religion. It is clearly a religious fraternity. If it isn't then it must be remade from it's foundation for the Holy Bible is used to hold a Mason's obligation. Mason's are to be good men. Not thieves, drunkards, cheats, wife beaters. Moral men. Homosexual behavior is sin like the rest but when it legitimized and accepted there is no morality left. I will never accept.

The "it doesn't effect me" attitude will be the death of this Nation. "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke. Make no mistake there is evil behind the assault of homosexuality against this Nation.

that part is simply incorrect. the man's belief in HIS faith and deity are what upholds our obligation. Not a book nor the bible. there is a very good reason we use the Sacred Volume of the candidate to give his obligation. That is not always a bible.

While freemasonry certainly has some religious aspects<ie.. we teach a man to learn and follow HIS faith>, the core philosophy of masonry is not christian nor any other religion. Religious principles are used to teach as anciently it was common ground for people to use as a learning platform in times when most knew religion but could not read.

to be frank, anyone that believes masonry promotes christianity or any other religion above any other has not studied masonry. We all agree a mason should be a good upstanding man of good moral character. My personal belief is that homosexuality is a mental illness and a man can certainly be of good character in every other aspect of life, but that may well show they are not a proper candidate for masonry. <this is my personal belief only>. That said if the GL ok's it i will accept the man as a MM and brother like any other until he proves to be unworthy.

I have been taught as you say that Freemasonry does not endorse any religion but I feel the way I do because there sure is ALOT of material in the rituals is straight out of the Bible. I read a story about Rudyard Kipling and his experiences in Indian Lodges. Hindus were made Masons. I am not sure if Hindus have a Sacred Volume but I'm assuming the rituals where not rewritten from that Hindu test for them? Maybe they are. Any one know?
In my Lodge the WM always ends prayer in Jesus' name.

you need to take some time and study masonic philosophy. you need to understand the WHY of using the bible for instruction and you need to understand WHY we require a belief in deity. you also need to understand WHY we do not define what or who that supreme being is. All of that is covered in a basic study of masonic principles. Sadly none of that is taught in any blue lodge here.

not trying to be proactive or condescending, but based on you posts you have very little understanding of masonry.

Where would I find that understanding of masonic principles?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:04:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm reminded of Dr. King's immortal words that advise us to judge a man by the content of his character, and not by any other means whereby a prejudice is perpetuated based upon any other standard. I have a homosexual "brother". He is a good and honest man. He is also a Shrine kid. If he ever expressed an interest in the Fraternity I would topline him in an instant. To judge him using a standard that is wholly based upon a parochial definition of what is or isn't moral goes against everything that the Lodge represents. I would no more be a supportive member of a Lodge which excluded our Prince Hall brethren than I would a Lodge which excluded any other qualified man, nor would I vote to reject a prospective member if the only characteristic to which others may object is his sexual preference. And if I were the only voice to speak in support of an otherwise qualified applicant for membership I would demit and help him find a new Lodge for both of us, free of those prejudices which have no place in this day and age.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think "homosexuals" are as foreign to me as a two headed alien from Mars would be. Having said that if I encountered a "homosexual" Mason I would treat him with respect courtesy just as I would a clandestine mason (Prince Hall- per GL) and even extend Brotherly Love but I will not consider him worthy. Even in my disagreement and un-acceptance of them I respect that someone thought him worthy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
to some degree i think this is a good thing. it shows that we are willing to discuss things in an adult fashion and educate each other. Everything has a good and bad aspect. it's how we deal with the bad stuff that makes this special. Even in a disagreement, everyone is still my brother.

If? Unless you have cloistered yourself within your own Lodge, during your travels to Masonic events outside of your own Lodge you probably already HAVE encountered a Brother with a different sexual preference than your own.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Because of my job I have operated around the homosexual community all of my adult life and I am in my 60's.  They want the same things that all of us want:  To be treated with dignity, to love and be loved, to provide for those that they love, to be treated like any other human with the same rights.  There are wonderful people in that community and people who are not wonderful just as their are in the heterosexual community.

There are many interpretations of what is written in the Bible.  Some say that you can not cut your hair or that you can not wear makeup or have buttons on your clothes.  I do not follow these interpretations but understand that others do and by all means they should follow their own beliefs. That said, I do not want my civil rights to be limited because I choose to do one of these things.. If I had been denied the right to marry the man I spent 32 years with because I cut my hair, wore makeup or had buttons on my clothes, I would have been devastated.  I will not allow another to impose their religious beliefs on me and don't think anyone else should allow this either.

I do not know what your obligation says about a Mason being with another Mason's wife.  I can only tell you this.  My husband was a good man from the get go and he was a better man after he became a Mason.  He served in various positions in his home lodge and he served in various positions in his local Shrine Club including President.  He is no longer with us.  I see no reason that I can not have a relationship with another Mason now that my husband is deceased and the gentleman's wife is deceased also.  Why should I be denied that right when the traits that I admire most are those that are the vary essence of the Masonic brotherhood?  I am not saying I looked for a Mason.  What I am saying is I was drawn to a man that I know to be honest, thoughtful to his fellow man and has many of the same beliefs and outlooks on life that I do..

Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:20:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I should have said that I do not know what your obligation says about a Mason being with another Mason's widow.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:48:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have been taught as you say that Freemasonry does not endorse any religion but I feel the way I do because there sure is ALOT of material in the rituals is straight out of the Bible. I read a story about Rudyard Kipling and his experiences in Indian Lodges. Hindus were made Masons. I am not sure if Hindus have a Sacred Volume but I'm assuming the rituals where not rewritten from that Hindu test for them? Maybe they are. Any one know?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, as the surviving spouse of a Brother they should be.

Wow. I will never accept the legitimacy of same sex marriages. No Lodge that I am a member of will admit a homosexual. If from another lodge I consider him clandestinely made.

Freemasonry is not a religion. It is clearly a religious fraternity. If it isn't then it must be remade from it's foundation for the Holy Bible is used to hold a Mason's obligation. Mason's are to be good men. Not thieves, drunkards, cheats, wife beaters. Moral men. Homosexual behavior is sin like the rest but when it legitimized and accepted there is no morality left. I will never accept.

The "it doesn't effect me" attitude will be the death of this Nation. "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." - Edmund Burke. Make no mistake there is evil behind the assault of homosexuality against this Nation.

that part is simply incorrect. the man's belief in HIS faith and deity are what upholds our obligation. Not a book nor the bible. there is a very good reason we use the Sacred Volume of the candidate to give his obligation. That is not always a bible.

While freemasonry certainly has some religious aspects<ie.. we teach a man to learn and follow HIS faith>, the core philosophy of masonry is not christian nor any other religion. Religious principles are used to teach as anciently it was common ground for people to use as a learning platform in times when most knew religion but could not read.

to be frank, anyone that believes masonry promotes christianity or any other religion above any other has not studied masonry. We all agree a mason should be a good upstanding man of good moral character. My personal belief is that homosexuality is a mental illness and a man can certainly be of good character in every other aspect of life, but that may well show they are not a proper candidate for masonry. <this is my personal belief only>. That said if the GL ok's it i will accept the man as a MM and brother like any other until he proves to be unworthy.

Because that is how the ritual is written in Texas.  Yes the have a VSL, its the Bhagavad Ghita.  A belief in a Supreme Being, any Supreme Being.  Their was a past GM in Florida who made the interpretation that only people that had a faith based in Ambrahamic religion could be a Mason.  Needless to say the Masonc blog world went to town on him and he reversed his position.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Just remember this Brothers.  There are around 5% of the men in the world that are only attracted to other men and 10% that are attracted to both sexes.  So yes, like it or not, at one time or another, you have more than likely sat in a room with a gay man at a Masonic event.  You may have even sat RIGHT NEXT TO HIM.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Highlighter:  Unfortunately, Congress has become so impotent that even unconstitutional (illegitimate) court rulings are likely to stand unchallenged. Good luck to you and yours and good-bye.  

Link Posted: 7/7/2015 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Highlighter:  Unfortunately, Congress has become so impotent that even unconstitutional (illegitimate) court rulings are likely to stand unchallenged. Good luck to you and yours and good-bye.  

View Quote

America is going to Hell. Literally.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 10:04:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just remember this Brothers.  There are around 5% of the men in the world that are only attracted to other men and 10% that are attracted to both sexes.  So yes, like it or not, at one time or another, you have more than likely sat in a room with a gay man at a Masonic event.  You may have even sat RIGHT NEXT TO HIM.
View Quote

Homosexual sex is a sinful act not a sexual identity. It is very telling of the world when people try so hard to justify wickedness instead of righteousness. They suggest to "get off your high horse"! And do what? That's just what this Nation has become. Instead of striving for more moral behavior they are encouraged to wallow in the gutter.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Homosexual sex is a sinful act not a sexual identity. It is very telling of the world when people try so hard to justify wickedness instead of righteousness. They suggest to "get off your high horse"! And do what? That's just what this Nation has become. Instead of striving for more moral behavior they are encouraged to wallow in the gutter.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc139/Highlighter_08/11692653_1007453695962072_2675900827730528401_n_zpspulfqc4r.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc139/Highlighter_08/11692653_1007453695962072_2675900827730528401_n_zpspulfqc4r.jpg

Your religion isn't mine. I am a mason. Am I clandestine to you?
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I am sick of you people foisting your religious views on everyone as if you are the only people with beliefs or morals. You are a sinner because you eat pork. You are a sinner because your cheeseburger isn't Kosher. Does that mean you aren't moral enough to be a Mason? Or because you don't follow those beliefs you don't care? Get over yourself and accept that there are different people out there that think and believe differently than you and it doesn't make them wrong.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I am sick of you people foisting your religious views on everyone as if you are the only people with beliefs or morals. You are a sinner because you eat pork. You are a sinner because your cheeseburger isn't Kosher. Does that mean you aren't moral enough to be a Mason? Or because you don't follow those beliefs you don't care? Get over yourself and accept that there are different people out there that think and believe differently than you and it doesn't make them wrong.
View Quote

Are you talking to the OP?

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:16:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I should have said that I do not know what your obligation says about a Mason being with another Mason's widow.
View Quote

Welcome to our forum.  Feel free to engage in any conversation or ask any questions you may have.  We are glad you are here and have several women visitors.

It says that a Mason will not violate the moral code of chastity.  That is taken to mean that he will not pursue a relationship with another Masons wife.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No you're not clandestine.

Some here need to remember that religious affiliation, of any faith, is not required.  All one needs is to have is a belief in a Supreme Being.

It really saddens me to see the lack of brotherly love in this thread.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Welcome to our forum.  Feel free to engage in any conversation or ask any questions you may have.  We are glad you are here and have several women visitors.

It says that a Mason will not violate the moral code of chastity.  That is taken to mean that he will not pursue a relationship with another Masons wife.

Thank you very much for making me feel welcome, OverScoped.  I enjoy conversation that makes me think and allows me to see another's view on things.  Sometimes it gives me basis to edit my original path.  Sometimes it lets me know that I was on a good path for myself.  It's all good.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you very much for making me feel welcome, OverScoped.  I enjoy conversation that makes me think and allows me to see another's view on things.  Sometimes it gives me basis to edit my original path.  Sometimes it lets me know that I was on a good path for myself.  It's all good.

Link Posted: 7/8/2015 9:46:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary the first known use of that word was in 1892.  If I understand that right then the quote you used was actually a quote of an interpretation of I Cor.6:9, not the actual wording and a relatively new interpretation at that.   I am not a religious scholar but I do know that different interpretations or things taken out of context can put a totally different light on things that was originally intended.

I understand this is your belief and totally support that until it comes to stepping on the rights of others.  I believe the recent SCOTUS decision to be a civil rights question rather than a religious question.  Above all else I have not heard nearly enough comments discussing "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you" or "Love Thy Neighbor as Thyself".  Those too come front the Bible and do not have exceptions in them.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 7:47:43 AM EDT
[#24]
For me as a mason it boils down to the obligation. Certainly about 'not be present at' line(s).

I joined Masonry because I saw it as a refuge from the moral relativism & bankruptcy I saw in this
world.

It's unfortunate that this has even become a discussion.

When they try to change the obligation to 'MM's husband, father, brother or son, I'm out

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 9:00:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
For me as a mason it boils down to the obligation. Certainly about 'not be present at' line(s).

I joined Masonry because I saw it as a refuge from the moral relativism & bankruptcy I saw in this
world.

When they try to change the obligation to 'MM's husband, father, brother or son, I'm out

View Quote

I find myself wondering if my time in Lodge (although I have not attended since moving to TX) would be best used in service of our Lord. I have a 8 &5 y/o that I could be cultivating their relationship with God instead of time at the Lodge. Thinking about starting some type of outdoor club for the kids at church. No one not striving to live a Godly life will be in attendance.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 12:59:50 PM EDT
[#26]
HighLighter - I hold your affiliation with ANY Lodge suspect.  Many of us believe that the United States and The World is heading towards some place we may not wish it to go.  Instead of spreading idle, contentious convoluted attacks in an open forum,  why not set a good example instead?  I believe that if you are a Mason then you should attend Lodge and get re-acquainted with some great lights.
If you find homosexuality offensive, do not practice it.  If flamboyant gay people get under skin, rise above it.  Your peaceful, tolerant, up right existence should set an example no inflame and infuriate.  

As far as dedicating yourself to the service of the Lord, that should be in every thing you do anyway so why now decide to re-dedicate yourself?  As far as YOU being around and influencing children. I beg you re-consider.  I cannot see how your intolerance would have any positive effect.  I have seen many well meaning zealots find that one confused kid and push them over a brink.

Take this for what it is....good consul to aid a reformation.  Remember, every being has a claim on you as a Mason not just those you find deserving..

Quoted:

I find myself wondering if my time in Lodge (although I have not attended since moving to TX) would be best used in service of our Lord. I have a 8 &5 y/o that I could be cultivating their relationship with God instead of time at the Lodge. Thinking about starting some type of outdoor club for the kids at church. No one not striving to live a Godly life will be in attendance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

world.

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#27]
We are here for each other:  not for ourselves.  We must ever bear in mind that we are first and foremost obligated to the service of others.  We must never allow our own bias to prevent us from treating our Brethren with all the consideration and respect they are not only due, but that they have earned.  From the newest Master Mason, to the Most Worshipful Grand Master, we are equal members of this Sacred Society of Friends and Brothers.

We must remember that a Brother fulfills his obligations as his heart sees fit:  not as we believe he should.  Far too often there is contention between Brothers because one believes that the other should conduct their life and affairs in the same manner and form as they.  As long as a Brother has a zeal for the Craft and is fulfilling his obligations, who am I to tell him how to live his life?  In fact, if I discourage or attempt to hinder him, aren’t I violating my obligations?  We must respect and encourage our brethren.  We must never dissuade or punish them for walking a path other than our own.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Four pages of button pushing is plenty... Lets give this one a break.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top