Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 10:16:47 PM EDT
Just asked the freshly installed Secretary to send a letter out to a member.  He responded that he was too busy, and to do it myself (Senior Warden).  This is going to be good!
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:28:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Is this some kind of work counseling on a national forum?

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:24:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ALL formal communications should come from the hands of the secretary. remind him of that.
View Quote

He told me that this was personal correspondence and therefore my issue in my last email.  I am getting a copy of the NYGL 24 inch guage after work today and I am going to quote him his duties right out of the book.  If he scoffs at that then he is going to have an issue on his hands for sure.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Letter to a Brother about what?  If I may ask.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Letter to a Brother about what?  If I may ask.
View Quote

Nothing bad, we have a man who took his EA right before going to med school a couple of years ago (GNLY has no time limits between Degrees) and now that he has the time to become proficient along with his residency he is going to take his FC.  A letter has to go out with some materials, simple enough.  After that happens, he will get a mentor to get him ready for the Degree in October
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, sounds like the Secretary's job to me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, the secretary has the job of notifying the candidates.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Email sent, long and the short of it was that receiving and sending Masonic communications is a primary role of the position, get it out in the mail in the next week and that if he wants to discuss it further he can do so with the Master and I before our meeting next week
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#9]
The Secretary will make or break a Lodge.  That's why you typically see a Past Master in the position.  He already knows the importance of the job and how the Lodge works.  I did the job for my Chapter, Council and Commandery years ago before I was in the East.  I was a train wreck as a Secretary.

If he's not a PM, see if you can get one to mentor him a little.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Final score.  Senior Warden =1 Secretary =0
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Glad to see it. We had a good secretary it makes a difference
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

Friendly advice.

If you want him there next year as a seasoned Secretary be gentle.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:33:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you're keeping score, you're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 9:16:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Not keeping score, i have nothing against him, he was unsure of his duties and once they were explained to him by the WM he stopped arguing about it.  He is after all my Brother, and was a bit misguided
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#15]
My Brother: your problem pales beside a head butting session we had at #155. The new Master wanted some info and access to stuff , the secretary ,, a 33rd  and set in his ways said no. The master went up the ladder ddgm, GL, finally he went to GL and had a face to face with the GM of the state. The GM sent a letter, Sect. said no, GM sent a letter, refused; GM sent his official envoy who spoke the words..." it is the order of the wm that you ...blah ,blah blah and the Sect. still refused.( I cant imagine saying "NO" to the Grand Master).  
The matter was settled when the Sect.went on vacation and the Pro Temp got the info .

Still a lot of hard feelings about that.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 1:42:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#18]
We had a great Table Lodge last night.  Until clean-up.

The WM, SW and JW booked.  The JS was already a no show.  So, clearing, washing and putting way everything were a Brother, SS, JD, SD, four of us PM's (from two different Lodges) and a PGM.  That's right, a Past Grand Master was drying dishes, wiping down tables and counters and doing anything else that was needed while we washed.  All while the Master and Wardens left.

I really am concerned about the next two years.  After that the current Deacons and SS are gtg.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The WM, SW and JW booked.  The JS was already a no show.  So, clearing, washing and putting way everything were a Brother, SS, JD, SD, four of us PM's (from two different Lodges) and a PGM.  That's right, a Past Grand Master was drying dishes, wiping down tables and counters and doing anything else that was needed while we washed.  All while the Master and Wardens left.

I really am concerned about the next two years.  After that the current Deacons and SS are gtg.
View Quote
Wow.

What do yall do at your table lodges? We do one a year and it's an educational type deal. We can't conduct business and it's technically not recognized by he grandlodge.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Our Grand Lodge has a script with the seven toasts and the whole shebang.  We "open" as EA so everyone can participate.
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/22/2015 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#22]
I agree 100%.  The point being a lack of leadership.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

while that sucks.... a PGM is no higher than any other MM in the room. i have washed dishes and swept floors with a PGM here and several current and former GL officers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

while that sucks.... a PGM is no higher than any other MM in the room. i have washed dishes and swept floors with a PGM here and several current and former GL officers.

PGM= Powers Gone Man
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

PGM= Powers Gone Man
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PGM= Powers Gone Man

I believe the point has been missed.  The point is this, a PGM recognizes that his duties to his Brothers does not end when he achieves an elevated position in the fraternity.  He understands that his labor has not been replaced by the labors of others just because he occupied the papa bear chair for a year.  That important quality of Masonric leadership and conduct is obviously missing from the character of these men.  It saddens me that they may influence those behind them.

I'd also argue that a PGM wields as much if not more power, and for far longer, than a sitting GM.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 12:30:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
here they are given respect as having sat in the big chair and have a few "extra" authorities granted them, but beyond that they are simply just another mason. we generally consider them honored guests at functions and in general would not ask them to clean up as such.

jmho, the master and officers in the lodge are responsible for the event. they should have plans for cleanup taken care of. In fact that really SHOULD fall to the jr warden to be responsible for that.
View Quote

Absolutely.  He was the first one to leave.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 4:18:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
here they are given respect as having sat in the big chair and have a few "extra" authorities granted them, but beyond that they are simply just another mason. we generally consider them honored guests at functions and in general would not ask them to clean up as such.

jmho, the master and officers in the lodge are responsible for the event. they should have plans for cleanup taken care of. In fact that really SHOULD fall to the jr warden to be responsible for that.

Yeah, I could not even fathom doing that as JW.  I had my Stewarts and whatever EAs\FCs were handy before and after a meeting for cooking and cleanup and I was in the kitchen cooking and cleaning with them the WHOLE time, just like anyone in that chair should be doing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top