Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2015 11:18:09 PM EDT
Looking at the website of my local lodge (have never been there or contacted them just interested) and I see a weekly meeting for Knights Templar Commandery. Anyone have any info on what that is like? How does being a Knights Templar differ from just being a Mason?

Sorry if that doesn't make sense. I'm just curious
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Templary is an appendant body to Freemasonry.  By appendant I mean in addition to.  There are many appendant bodies in Masonry.  Commanderies of Knights Templar teach Masonic precepts in the context of Christian Chivalric values.  We use the legend of the Knights Templar as the basis of our ritualistic work.  With the exception of some honorary orders, it is the only branch of Freemasonry that requires being a Christian.

We wear a uniform and fancy hats (Chapeaus) and carry swords.  I'm the guy in the middle.

Link Posted: 5/22/2015 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Online it says you must be a Master Mason to join the Knights Templar.  Or you could just start your own crusade and see if others will follow
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 3:26:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Online it says you must be a Master Mason to join the Knights Templar.
View Quote

You must be a MM to join any of our other bodies.

Shriners, Scottish Rite, York Rite (Knights Templar is a part of York Rite), Royal Order of Jesters, Tall Cedars of Lebanon, Grotto  are some of the bodies.

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#5]
There are rumors that say that the Knight's Templar no longer exists. Well, I suppose it went under ground after King Phillip.

Are there any groups (I.e. York Rite) that can claim and substantiate a direct lineage to the KTs?  It is assumed that once they went underground, they never resurfaced under pain of Death. Essentially, they disbanded. It would make sense that they went underground for a period of time to get out of the center of attention, only to resurface later.  

However, the general consensus is that they disbanded for good and that any organizations today that say they are Knights Templar are only contemporary groups that got together and took the chilvaric codes of the KTs and tried to recreate the Order.  For instance, I can go start a group myself and claim that I am the true order but I have not papers to back that up, so it's really not "true" only that I hold the same beliefs.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Masonic Templary conveys the values and precepts of Freemasonry in the context of Christian Chivalry.  We claim no descendence, lineage or association with the medieval Knights Templar.  Any resemblance of our ritual may, or may not, be somewhat akin to what they may, or may not, have used.

Those of us that may, or may not, actually know ain't talking.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Commanderies of Knights Templar teach Masonic precepts in the context of Christian Chivalric values.
View Quote

The York Rite has certainly piqued my interest.

The one personal challenge I have is that the York Rite requires one to be a Christian, which I am, but I firmly believe in the universality of Freemasonry.

I have and will continue to ruminate on this.  I have a few more months in the East before I can pursue any appended bodies. I am in no rush as I believe Freemasonry is the Blue Lodge and work to make it a place of Masonic education and not just discussing the chili supper.

Link Posted: 7/16/2015 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Commanderies of Knights Templar teach Masonic precepts in the context of Christian Chivalric values.
View Quote

The York Rite has certainly piqued my interest.

The one personal challenge I have is that the York Rite requires one to be a Christian, which I am, but I firmly believe in the universality of Freemasonry.

I have and will continue to ruminate on this.  I have a few more months in the East before I can pursue any appended bodies. I am in no rush as I believe Freemasonry is the Blue Lodge and work to make it a place of Masonic education and not just discussing the chili supper.

View Quote

Here in the US, Capitular and Cryptic Masonry are the same as Craft Masonry, when it comes to religion.

Here's my short version of the York Rite of Freemasonry.

York Rite
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top