Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2015 7:35:17 AM EDT
A brother just left the lodge. He was not paid up this year. I was told he is not in good standing by some and is in good standing by others?

What is the answer and his options?

This link doesn't seem to clarify: Link

Thanks

V
OUT
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#1]

REG. 87-5 GOOD STANDING.
The term good standing as used in THE CODE when applied to a Mason means that he is a member of a lodge and not under charges for unmasonic conduct, but his current dues may be unpaid. Good standing does not mean that a Mason is not liable to charges.

This doesn't really help either

V
OUT
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:15:31 AM EDT
[#2]
In my lodge if your current years dues are unpaid you're not in good standing. If the Brother is on hard times we will pay his dues for him. If he forgets we call and check in with him to see if all is ok and remnd him of the dues thing. We pay his grand lodge dues for two years before we can suspend him for non payment of dues.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Chapter 82, Transfer of Membership, Demission and Resignation
82.08 Resignation from Fraternity and Reinstatement, of the Masonic Code of Wisconsin states:

a) An Entered Apprentice, Fellowcraft or Master Mason may resign from the fraternity. A letter of resignation received by the Secretary of his lodge shall be sufficient to terminate his status as a Mason provided he is clear on the books and free of charges. Upon receipt of a letter of
resignation, the Secretary shall so inform the lodge at its next regular communication and enter
the fact in the minutes of the meeting.
b) Except as provided in (c), a resigned Mason may petition any Wisconsin lodge for cancellation of his resignation and for restoration to his former status as a Mason. The petition for restoration shall be accompanied with a restoration fee of Five Dollars. The procedure shall then be the same as a petition for transfer or plural membership. If elected he is restored to the status of a Mason in good standing.
c)  A Mason who resigns after the close of the 1992 annual communication of the Grand Lodge and who is convicted of a felony or a sexual assault misdemeanor (either before or after such resignation) shall only be restored to membership upon petition to the Grand Lodge and restoration to membership by the Grand Lodge pursuant to Section 109.04 of the Masonic Code.

Chapter 86, Masonic Status:

86.06 When in Good Standing.  A Mason is in good standing until he shall have been duly suspended or expelled and notified of loss of standing by the Grand Secretary.

86.07 Mason Can Resign. A Mason can voluntarily withdraw from the Craft. (82.08)

Check with your District Deputy, but as I read it, if he properly resigns before suspension he is in good standing.  If he just walks, and is subsequently suspended, he is not.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, I hadn't seen your link.  I saw you listed Wisconsin on your profile and went with Wisconsin Code.  

Your mileage may obviously vary.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#5]
In Texas, if you haven't paid your dues and do not demit, you will be suspended and therefore not be in good standing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:57:22 PM EDT
[#6]
hmm bet I'm not in good standing. I left 4 years ago and I continue to get calls/letter/emails.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top