Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2015 3:16:00 PM EDT
I was delightfully surprised to see this forum here. All of the Masons I have known were generally liberal, thus I never asked any of them how their organizations felt about gun rights. I always assumed I probably wouldn't like the answer/start an unwanted argument, but it looks like I may have assumed wrong?

To be honest, when I saw this thread, I automatically thought that it was going to be Alex Jones types talking about conspiracy theories (very fun to read, BTW). I was pretty shocked to find actual Masons here. I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised considering that the people who wrote the Constitution were Masons. It just makes me feel good that there are still gun owners within our nation's political power structure.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Everyone that I have talked to at my Lodge has been very pro 2A
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Very good to hear, especially since you're in the Northeast.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#3]

My gun club is full of Masons.

I'll bet you over half of the men in my Lodge shoot, hunt or have a strong 2nd Amendment belief.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Most in my lodge are gun-nuts. One of our 50 year members is a top notch smith & one hell of a shooter. He's 85 years old and wins BP bench rest competitions
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:14:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I obviously had you gentlemen figured all wrong. I've often wondered what famous Masons would have to say about our gun laws if they were alive today. We so badly need another George Washington about right now...
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:20:18 PM EDT
[#7]
The overwhelming bulk of my Brethren in Wisconsin are conservative and 2A supporters.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#8]
One of my roommates in college was a Mason. I never talked to him about politics or guns because I assumed he was liberal. He was an interesting guy, I wish I had talked to him more. Then again, he was the only roommate I ever really got along with, so I didn't want to rock the boat. We had both traveled Europe pretty extensively, so we had plenty of less volatile subjects for discussion.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys allow concealed carry in the lodges?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:35:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
One of my roommates in college was a Mason. I never talked to him about politics or guns because I assumed he was liberal. He was an interesting guy, I wish I had talked to him more. Then again, he was the only roommate I ever really got along with, so I didn't want to rock the boat. We had both traveled Europe pretty extensively, so we had plenty of less volatile subjects for discussion.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys allow concealed carry in the lodges?
View Quote

As a general rule politics and religion aren't discussed in lodges as these are contentious issues and can cause divisiveness, so it would make sense that your roommate being a Mason would not bring it up.
That being said political winds generally blow in the same direction in my lodge so I hear a lot of FBHO sentiment in the refreshment hall

There is a thread on it here
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#12]
every June our district hold a sporting clays tourney and a steak dinner to follow. The prize is knowing your entry fee is a donation and it will go to a worthwhile cause.  There is also a trophy that the lodges display until another lodge wins it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:54:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#14]
My experience is that Masons are several times more likely to be pro-2nd amendment than the general population.  Freemasonry as a whole takes no stance on the subject but the philosophy of Freemasonry does lend itself to coming to conclusions that support the 2nd amendment.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#15]
My Lodge has a large safe the Tyler uses to store member's firearms during meetings. The Chief of Police and County Sheriff are both members as are many officers and deputies.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#16]
My lodge holds a turkey shoot every year .
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I too have found a heavy majority of Masons to be pro-2A
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
masons in general tend to be on the conservative side ... in general. most i know here are pro-gun in most cases but also think much of it applies to hunting only.
masons are no different that the general communities the come from.
View Quote

I would be interested in finding out how many Masons believe the 2A extends only to hunting - I do not and most that I know, likewise do not see it as applying to hunting.
That frame of mind is what many who are against civilian ownership of semi-automatic weapons try to push in order to shape peoples thinking toward the 2A as it applies to militias with blunderbuss arguments.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#19]
My lodge is very pro 2nd
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top