Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2015 1:40:16 AM EDT
I have this inner fire to become a mason. I always admired what it was about and I have a grandfather, who I never met, who was an accredited mason. I don't know enough about the craft to explain it even.

If I already made the decision that I want to do it then where do I start?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:39:47 AM EDT
[#1]
California Grand Lodge Locator and then visit your local lodge.

Welcome!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I found one down the road. It's just says come on by. I guess I'll pop my head in to monthly dinner as it says. What should I wear?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks, I found one down the road. It's just says come on by. I guess I'll pop my head in to monthly dinner as it says. What should I wear?
View Quote
There should be a number for the lodge secretary listed. Feel free to give them a call and ask what the normal attire is. Business casual is always a good start. Some wear suits, some wear overalls. Just depends on the lodge and area.

All you have to do to start your journey is to tell a mason your like to be one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote

In CA most members wear sportcoats or suits. Most officers wear tuxedo's.

If you show up in a button down shirt and tie or jacket, you would not be underdressed.

CA has a facebook  https://www.facebook.com/MasonsofCalifornia    with pictures of lodges and members, you can get a feel for the types of men that are there. Some old, some young and in between.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you show up in a button down shirt and tie or jacket, you would not be underdressed.

CA has a facebook  https://www.facebook.com/MasonsofCalifornia    with pictures of lodges and members, you can get a feel for the types of men that are there. Some old, some young and in between.

For regular meetings?  Forget that....

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have a few lodges here that do the same.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Officers wear a Tux to every meeting and our members all wear suits. PA is a black tie state.   Visitors from out of state come as they are and are welcome.

Dressing up to go to Masons is awesome IMHO.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine was a Mason in SC for a long time....

Don't know anything about the group other than Nick Cage says they run the world.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:42:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Don't know anything about the group other than Nick Cage says they run the world.
View Quote
and you forgot, we know everything.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:10:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Except what we're having for dinner at the next communication.  

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Good luck it's a great experience for most
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Good luck it's a great experience for most
View Quote

True!
Also, It's an organization that you get out of it what you put into it.

Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:03:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Hope to hear back after you visit a meeting
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#14]
My grandfather was one, too, and my uncle in Texas is one now. Figured it was time to carry on the legacy and just had my EA conferred last Thursday. I can say that I am very proud so far and can't wait to continue!
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:52:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

My grandfather was one, too, and my uncle in Texas is one now. Figured it was time to carry on the legacy and just had my EA conferred last Thursday. I can say that I am very proud so far and can't wait to continue!
View Quote
Congratulations to the newest Entered Apprentice among us!  What lodge/state?

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm in Maryland at the Kensington-Bethesda 198 Lodge. But my EA degree was conferred at the Wheaton Lodge - lots of good people there.
I feel like I'm already ready to go FC already (in only one week!!), but I want to give my EA some time so everything kind of soaks in. So I'll wait for my FC until after the summer when the lodges are dark.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Please take your time. One problem the craft has is they manufacture Masons. We need to build them. Understand every word and phrase of your obligation. Look up the history of the lectures and understand the words and phrases there also.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Please take your time. One problem the craft has is they manufacture Masons. We need to build them. Understand every word and phrase of your obligation. Look up the history of the lectures and understand the words and phrases there also.

View Quote

Amen Brother
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 2:44:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 12:27:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

and what they said...

remember...

there is no real time limit to learn your lessons. take it slow and KNOW it. not just the words but what they mean. Many will push you to just give the memory work and move on. Don;t be afraid to tell them you are not yet ready.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amen Brother

and what they said...

remember...

there is no real time limit to learn your lessons. take it slow and KNOW it. not just the words but what they mean. Many will push you to just give the memory work and move on. Don;t be afraid to tell them you are not yet ready.

The hardest thing I did was tell the WM that I did not want to move up.
Last year I was JD, between work, family and lodge I didn't have any time and was really feeling pressured.  I"m content for now just visiting other lodges in search of more light. I've enjoyed Lodge more since I started traveling to other lodges.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#22]
OP, Congratulations on your journey.
You can always drop by say an hour before their Stated meeting, someone will take time to speak with you.  Wear whatever you would wear to make a first impression, shirt and trousers is fine.  If you are coming work and in work clothes or uniform, fine also.

As far as what Master Masons wear to meetings, my Lodge officers still wear tuxedos for stated meetings.  Doesn't matter what you wear, the important thing is that you show up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top