Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/8/2014 6:31:43 AM EDT
I was raised just under a year ago, and now I’m considering quitting Masonry.  I love the fellowship and what Masons stand for, but I find myself unwilling to follow a new ruling from the Grand Lodge (Indiana).  At our meeting last night, we were read a letter from the GL stating that no firearms would be allowed in the lodge because of restrictions placed on an EA during their initiation.  The bone they’re throwing us it that the Lodge will provide a “locked area” for firearms to be stored.  

I’m torn about this.  I haven’t carried in the Lodge yet, but I would like to be able to.  I understand that it’s “their Lodge, their rules”, and I’m not crying about that.  I feel that they changed the rules without input from the members.  I refuse to patronize businesses that don’t allow CCW, why would I want to be a member of an organization that feels the same way?  Am I wrong about this?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:58:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was raised just under a year ago, and now I’m considering quitting Masonry.  I love the fellowship and what Masons stand for, but I find myself unwilling to follow a new ruling from the Grand Lodge (Indiana).  At our meeting last night, we were read a letter from the GL stating that no firearms would be allowed in the lodge because of restrictions placed on an EA during their initiation.  The bone they’re throwing us it that the Lodge will provide a “locked area” for firearms to be stored.  

I’m torn about this.  I haven’t carried in the Lodge yet, but I would like to be able to.  I understand that it’s “their Lodge, their rules”, and I’m not crying about that.  I feel that they changed the rules without input from the members.  I refuse to patronize businesses that don’t allow CCW, why would I want to be a member of an organization that feels the same way?  Am I wrong about this?
View Quote

Not at all.

How are rules normally created there?  Do they just arbitrarily hand them down without input from members like they did with this one?  And ... I wonder how many people they'll lose over this fuckery?
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:12:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not really sure how the rules are created.  Like I said, I was raised less than a year ago.  I feel that if I'm going to do it, now is the time to quit before I'm more invested.  Like I said, I really don't want to leave, but I also don't want to be a member of this type of organization.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 7:43:33 AM EDT
[#3]
your logic sounds pretty reasonable
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#4]
We have never allowed weapons into our lodge. Many years ago we had a large group of police officers as members and they would leave their service weapons locked up under the tylers care. The tyler was armed with more than just a sword.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#5]
In Ga. it has been that way since I have been a member . No exception for LE either .  Several years ago a candidate in NY was shot during initiation and killed .
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In Ga. it has been that way since I have been a member . No exception for LE either .  Several years ago a candidate in NY was shot during initiation and killed .
View Quote
Yep, in ga it's considered Unmasonic conduct to be armed in lodge. We provide a safety deposit box with a key you keep for your weapon. We also have a large cabinet for our officers duty rigs. The Tyler is generally armed. With more than a sword. Ours was a grand masters edict with no input. I dont feel the need to be armed in lodge our exterior doors are locked and we meet upstairs. We will have time to retrieve our weapons if needed.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Am I wrong about this?
View Quote

Yes

You bound yourself to certain conditions while kneeling at the alter.  If you can't HONOR those conditions, then the Craft isn't for you.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Concealed is concealed. I'd carry no matter the rules. My lodge is an unlit, pretty rough area.
We actually  made sure we were armed when we had a trial to throw a guy out.
Come to find out, he was pretty dirty prick with a history of violence.
I wouldn't go to the lodge if they wanted to disarm me.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We have never allowed weapons into our lodge. Many years ago we had a large group of police officers as members and they would leave their service weapons locked up under the tylers care. The tyler was armed with more than just a sword.
View Quote

So, handling a bunch of weapons is safer than leaving holstered?
As far as the EA, when I was going through, they made sure I was properly prepared.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:35:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes

You bound yourself to certain conditions while kneeling at the alter.  If you can't HONOR those conditions, then the Craft isn't for you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am I wrong about this?

Yes

PSI, respectfully, you're entitled to your opinion about me.  I'm simply looking for aid from my brothers who may have a different perspective than I.  I'm looking for someone to shed some light on this and lead me from the darkness I'm currently feeling.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#12]
The brothers in my lodge are all trusted...

I never considered carrying into the lodge.

If you are concerned for personal safety @ lodge affairs carry a blade.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:29:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I would talk to the WM about this and how he is prepared to handle the concerns of Brothers like you.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:45:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

PSI, respectfully, you're entitled to your opinion about me.  I'm simply looking for aid from my brothers who may have a different perspective than I.  I'm looking for someone to shed some light on this and lead me from the darkness I'm currently feeling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am I wrong about this?

Yes

My apologies Brother if I offended you, That was not my intent.  I was simply stating that if your convictions on this issue conflict to your obligations; to the point where you make a decision to violate your obligations:  then perhaps you should leave the Craft.

You did state you were considering resigning from the fraternity over this issue, and you asked if you were wrong.  If you weren't wanting an opinion other than your own, you shouldn't have asked.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
Same here.  We had a group of troopers at our Lodge once.  Lots of sidearms being looked after by the Tyler.

Sorry OP.  If you think you have to be armed every second you step outside of your house or in Lodge, you need to find a better area to live in....not fault the lodge.

ETA: To me, it's a respect issue.  You may not like the laws or rules of the Lodge, but by joining, you agreed to abide by them.  Take your leave if you had a change of heart.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Is that a new rule, or was it a "reminder" about enforcement of an old rule?

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Hmmm! I'm hesitant to do any research regarding carrying at my lodge, now!!! The subject has never been brought up, or at least while I have attended a stated. Maybe there has been a 'ruling' sent down from the Grand, but I haven't personally heard of any. I carry to our stated meetings and other functions, and will continue to do so, until I am told otherwise. If that ever does happen.......Well, I hope it doesn't, as I too refuse to patronize establishments who deny my right to carry.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#20]
In lodge, I will leave them in the car. Activities OUTSIDE of lodge you can damn well bet I am prepared to defend myself against any aggression or attacks. For me this will never change.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that a new rule, or was it a "reminder" about enforcement of an old rule?

The obligation you took as an EA did not stop when you were made an FC. Just think of the rest of the obligation. Could you violate any other part of it as a MM? What makes you think that you could disobey that particular part?  

ETA, we also have a lockbox for weapons outside our lodge room.
You missed my point.  I was trying to point out ignorance of a rule doesn't mean you can ignore it.  You're preaching to the choir.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:46:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I am a member of an Indiana Lodge. I have never been notified about this new ruling and have and will continue to carry concealed in the lodge.
It is not a matter of trust it is a matter of personal protection if at all possible.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I leave mine in the car . I have visited some lodges in bad neighborhoods never had a problem
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#25]
So we all know what OP is referring to, here is the text of the letter received on Oct 6th from the IN Grand Lodge for publication:
Grand Lodge
FREE AND ACCEPTED MASONS OF THE STATE OF INDIANA

DANIEL J. BARENIE
Grand Master
2014-2015
October 3, 2014
All Lodges within Our Jurisdiction
Re: Decision pertaining to Firearms in a Masonic Lodge
Dear Worshipful Master:
Questions regarding firearms in a Masonic Lodge continue to be raised. In the Entered Apprentice
degree, second section monologue lecturer, it refers to not bringing anything offensive or defensive
into a Lodge.
No member or guest is to be walking within the Lodge building carrying a firearm. Therefore, it is my
decision that all firearms are to be secured immediately upon entering the Lodge building. Lodges are
to make available a secure place for firearm storage.
However, it is allowed that firearms may be worn by law enforcement officers in a Masonic
building in the performance of their official duties.
This policy regarding firearms applies to our members, their guests, and any other organizations
using our Masonic Lodge facilities.
This letter will be read at your next Stated Meeting, made part of the minutes, and a copy placed in
the Tyler’s room near the registration book for all to observe.
Sincerely and fraternally,
Daniel J. Barenie
Grand Master
DJB/klb

I'll post my comments later, us newbies aren't allowed to be verbose. For now, OP: you're a young Mason, trust a brother when I say you're worrying too much about this. (sorry if that sounds condescending)
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#26]
GM decisions are subject GL approval at the Annual Comm. They will reject it in May.

The GM has exclusive authority in deciding questions of law & usage, such decisions must be according to an existing law in need of interpretation or clarification. His decision cannot create a law or reg where one did not previously exist. In our constitution, Article IX(e) and approved decision IX-9 outline the GM's authority & limits in this area. Further, Article XVI identifies sources of Masonic Law in Indiana and Approved decision XVI-1 provides the hierarchy. There is no prohibition on bringing anything offensive or defensive into a lodge. The ONLY mention is in the explanatory lecture. Lectures do not have force of Masonic Law. The reference to the lecture and not to an actual reg. was the first thing that jumped out at me. Further, I can find no authority for a GM to ban items from a lodge building. All other bans, such as alcohol, are properly written into Masonic Law. The lecture can be found in your monitor and only the few omitted words are considered secret. Read it and you'll see that portion is an explanation of one of our unusual (but secret) customs. The accepted application has always been to keep those items out of the lodge room when lodge is open, and if you can't, "oh well."

Personally, as secretary, I'm too busy to care if you have a CCW. Every officer I know will tell you the same. The concept is what is important. You're among brothers, there is no need to defend ourselves from each other. But until a proper resolution is submitted to and approved by GL, I see no justification for charging or convicting a brother for carrying a gun in the building.

And remember that we're all brothers not Saints so even the best of us will get it wrong sometimes. So with hot button issues like the 2A, remember to be honest, but control your passions, there are no enemies in Masonry regardless of how things turn out.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I went to a 3rd in Memphis TN. a few years ago, they were doing courtesy work for us. The SD happened to be an armed security guard and got to the lodge right after work.  He worked the entire degree in uniform with his sidearm, no one said a word.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 3:05:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hmmm! I'm hesitant to do any research regarding carrying at my lodge, now!!! The subject has never been brought up, or at least while I have attended a stated. Maybe there has been a 'ruling' sent down from the Grand, but I haven't personally heard of any. I carry to our stated meetings and other functions, and will continue to do so, until I am told otherwise. If that ever does happen.......Well, I hope it doesn't, as I too refuse to patronize establishments who deny my right to carry.
View Quote

Don't worry about it Brother. In IL, if you're good under state law, you can carry in lodge.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 6:35:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Thank you all for your input.  I was starting to think I had imagined things until the text of the letter was printed.

I have no fear from my brothers in the lodge.  My concern has always been with unwelcome visitors in the lodge.  Our lodge door remains unlocked while we're in session.  We're on a different floor than the entrance, so we really don't know who comes into the building.  We're not located in a bad neighborhood, but anything can happen.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Thank you all for your input.  I was starting to think I had imagined things until the text of the letter was printed.

I have no fear from my brothers in the lodge.  My concern has always been with unwelcome visitors in the lodge.  Our lodge door remains unlocked while we're in session.  We're on a different floor than the entrance, so we really don't know who comes into the building.  We're not located in a bad neighborhood, but anything can happen.  

View Quote
Lock the downstairs door. We have done this and installed wireless a doorbell. It gives a litte piece of mind.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#31]
I take my obligation very (very) seriously and I am the most loyal person you will ever know.  

Thay being said, I disarm my self for no one.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 12:09:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Same here.  We had a group of troopers at our Lodge once.  Lots of sidearms being looked after by the Tyler.  

Sorry OP.  If you think you have to be armed every second you step outside of your house or in Lodge, you need to find a better area to live in....not fault the lodge.

ETA: To me, it's a respect issue.  You may not like the laws or rules of the Lodge, but by joining, you agreed to abide by them.  Take your leave if you had a change of heart.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a line right out of the antis' book.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you think you should be able to disregard other peoples or organizations private property rights?

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 7:34:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Brothers, as the instigator of this, I ask that you take a step back and think before you post.  It seems that we're approaching the point of a General Discussion argument.

Our lodges are in different states and follow some different rules.  Likewise, some of our viewpoints differ.  For example, I believe one poster said that it is considered un-Masonly to carry a weapon into lodge in Georgia.  Until recently that was done without a thought in Indiana.

I don't believe any of us considers our brother Masons to be a threat.  There are reasons that some of us still wish to have a weapon on us.  

For the record, I spoke with my WM.  He agrees with my opinion, and we'll look into what we can do and are allowed to do in our lodge.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 9:30:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

That sounds kind of ok.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:08:10 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm a member in IN and haven't missed a SM all year. I never heard that communication for GL I'm going with the edict from the GM in 2007 that said concealed carry in Lodge was acceptable.

I'm also not a big fan of GL. As a PM having been to GL, they remind me of the mafia.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:53:25 AM EDT
[#38]
In my Lodge it's always been that carrying in Lodge was frowned on. Some do, and no one asks any questions. Every now and then we have to lock up a candidate's gun. But I generally leave mine in the car. There aren't many places I'm much safer than the temple, and I'm going to be leaving it in the car after Lodge when we go to the bar (where I'm considerably less safe.) I feel like I can't make a big deal about carrying in the Lodge if I will willingly not carry the rest of the evening.

The other thing to keep in mind is that there are brothers from all walks of life, who may or may not be comfortable with the idea of others being armed, and I would not want to contribute to their (or a prospective candidate's) bad experience.

Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

that "initiation" was NOT a masonic function. it was a couple of idiots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

that "initiation" was NOT a masonic function. it was a couple of idiots.

That is correct but that was told to me as the reason behind the rule.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 3:34:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 12:30:38 PM EDT
[#42]
We just had this discussion in Lodge at our last meeting. Apparently some OH lodges up north have been robbed. One was looted of all refreshments while ritual work was being done! There was a letter from a GM years ago about no weapons in the lodge. But that was way before my time. Someone is checking to see if this is still valid or has been overruled since. We all agreed that 'concealed is concealed' and we will carry in our lodge regardless
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Not an issue in my lodge, WM carries and until January the tyler did.......
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 12:03:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Well..for the longest time I was led to beleive that we had a no firearms policy in the lodge during work rule..come to find out, it's not against policy to do so..as we are to follow all state regulations regarding the carrying of firearms on private  property whether a lodge or any other building.
half my brothers, carry.. inclding me and retired LEO. but we leave the iron secured with the Tyler during work.
personal  choice.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
a lot of men here have made the comment that no one should bring an offensive or defensive item into the lodge. if you look into the origins of this you will find it does not pertain to a MM. only to an EA and FC. they are not properly vetted or educated and still not on the level of trust and obligation of a MM.

like many things this is one of those things uneducated masons have perverted into policy.
View Quote

This...

When I was first raised I got "caught" carrying on a training night by the WM.  I was selected to be the candidate stand in.  When he said the "upright" line and placed his hand on my back I went "Doh!".  He just went on without saying anything.  He later asked and I told him yes.  He never said anything else and I was never told not to carry.  

A few years have passed and now I won't be attending lodge there any more.  One of the many reasons I carry decided to apply for membership.  The investigating committee did not do a thorough job and the individual probably lied on his application.  I saw a photo on the lodge facebook page that included the new brother.  I immediately contacted the then WM and asked if it was the person and he confirmed.  I asked if they did a background check and was told that the investigating committee had given him a good report.  It took me all off 10 minutes to gather multiple public arrest records in 2 states for relatively recent unmasonic conduct.  I sent all of the information to the WM and he said he would handle it.  I have not heard back any details on any disciplinary action taken.  

I will not sit in lodge with this person so my only choice is to resign my life membership, or transfer.  Luckily there is a lodge closer to me that I can attend.  I know the WM well and he also carries.  He told me exactly what TBS said.  I will give it a little more time to see what they did to the guy.  If the grand lodge bans guns, I am done.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yes

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am I wrong about this?

Yes

do you wear a watch in lodge? how about keys in your pocket? what are they made of?

wasn't that part of it as well?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

do you wear a watch in lodge? how about keys in your pocket? what are they made of?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am I wrong about this?

Yes

No

You were instructed to do that when you were being prepared.  That was done to make an impression upon you on your first admission.  I'm referring to a portion of your obligation.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

i don't recall anything in my obligations regarding being armed or disarmed in a lodge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Am I wrong about this?

Yes

No

You were instructed to do that when you were being prepared.  That was done to make an impression upon you on your first admission.  I'm referring to a portion of your obligation.

i don't recall anything in my obligations regarding being armed or disarmed in a lodge.

Neither do I.  But I do remember saying,  "I w c t a a b a t l, r, a r o t MM d a o t L o w I m h b a m, s f a t s s c t m k, a w e m a s t c, l a e o t GL u w t s m b."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top