Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2014 10:35:24 PM EDT
Good evening everyone, not sure where to begin. I've been showing interest lately in joining your organization. That interest has lead to me doing a little digging in the family. My 97 year old great grandfather is apparently a 33rd degree Mason with approximately 65 years as a member. He is the last Mason on that side of the family and I'm interested in picking up where he left off so to speak. He is in a nursing home so I'm not sure how much he would be able to tell me. I know for a fact he went as high as 32nd degree because my dad has his personalized ring. My dad said he remembers seeing the huge plaque that my grandfather got when he went to the 33rd degree. Is there any way that I can find out about his history or is his name on a list somewhere? If it helps anyone he belongs to St. John's Lodge #2 in New Castle, DE. Thanks for any info you gents me be able to provide, and I apologize if I did not get all of the terminology correct.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Why don't you stop in to St. John's?  According to their website they meet every 2nd Wednesday at 7:30 P.M. Except July and August

Show up around 7 or so & I'm sure some Brother would be glad to speak with you about it
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are in the area, do stop by his lodge.  Don't be shy about asking.  You must ask in order to join.  If your Grandfather is still able, he would love to hear that you want to petition the lodge.  Buy the Freemasons for Dummies book.  It does an excellent job of explaining Freemasonry.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why don't you stop in to St. John's?  According to their website they meet every 2nd Wednesday at 7:30 P.M. Except July and August

Show up around 7 or so & I'm sure some Brother would be glad to speak with you about it
View Quote

This.  They can help steer you in the right direction.  Don't be nervous just tell them you would like to join.  I'm sure they would be glad to have you.

Just so you know, 33rd degree is an honor, however in my jurisdiction is not part of the blue lodge.  I don't think they would have records of any Scottish Rite business.  It's a different organization, sort of.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help guys. I will be looking to join the lodge that is closer to where I live though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top