Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2014 5:04:46 PM EDT
Every two months, with the exception of July-August, we publish what we call The Trestleboard for the organizations that meet in our building.  With four Lodges, Chapter, Council, Commandery, Scottish Rite, Eastern Star, Demolay and Jobs Daughters it's very important we let everyone know what's going on.  The presiding officer often writes an article to accompany the published schedule of events.

I thought I'd post here what I'm writing for this year as Master of my Lodge.  I hope it can serve as a little Masonic education.  And maybe give those interested in the Craft a little perspective from a member.  

January-February:

Brethren,

Please let me say thank you for the trust and confidence you have bestowed by allowing me to serve as Master of Theodore Roosevelt Lodge.  It is truly an honor.  I will do my best not to let you down.  Also, I want to thank the outstanding group of men which will serve as your Officers.  As a leader, I couldn’t ask for better.

We have an outstanding plan to keep the Light shining bright in Theodore Roosevelt Lodge!  No one, especially I, wants to work all day and come to another boring business meeting.  Yes, as stewards of our Lodge there is necessary business that must be conducted.  But it is not the purpose for our gatherings.  Every one of us has pledged to improve ourselves in Masonry.  To that end we will make our labors.

If we are not conducting Degrees, of which I hope we do a ton, we will be giving and receiving Masonic instruction and/or practicing the Work.  Everyone will be involved in some way.  The goal is for you to be excited to attend because you want to - not because you feel you have to.  What Freemasonry offers has value.  We want you to get your money’s worth.  Education is planned for every meeting and will be posted in the Trestleboard.  Degree work will of course be of paramount importance.  If we must forego instruction for Degrees, that’s an excellent problem to have.

Masons do not meet unless we eat.  Jeff Nelson has again graciously volunteered to prepare our meals.  Dinner starts at 5:30 PM and costs $5.00.  Nowhere can you eat this quality of food for $5.00.  It’s almost reason enough to come to Lodge.  Almost.  

Again, on behalf of myself and the Officers – Thank You!

With Brotherly Love and Affection,

John

March-April:

Brethren,

Thank you all so very, very much for your visits, calls and prayers while I’ve been out of action. I’m especially proud of the Officers for stepping up and filling that next chair.  And I’m grateful to the Past Masters for jumping in and giving your assistance every time it’s needed.  It is a testament of your dedication to the members of Roosevelt Lodge that you’re willing to do whatever is needed.  

As Freemasons, we strive to live by the Principles, Precepts and Tenants of our Order.  We reinforce them at all our gatherings.  But there is also another quality which we constantly display and don’t much talk about - Responsibility.  We constantly show the world, and each other, a selfless sense of responsibility.  None of us are required to do the things we do for the Craft.  Each man has his own reasons for participating.  The common thread I continually see is an overriding passion of taking on work, performing it to the utmost of our ability and seeing it through to the end.  In short - being responsible.

The underlying success of Freemasonry is that good men step up to the plate, unasked, and swing away.  Sure, sometimes we miss the curveball.  We occasionally get clobbered by a wild pitch.  Sometimes, we just don’t want to go.  But every time we get up, dust ourselves off and give it our absolute best.  We don’t do it for the cheering crowds.  We certainly don’t do it for the money.  We do it because we voluntarily accept the responsibility to assist our Brothers, ease the suffering of others, improve ourselves and perpetuate our wonderful institution.

So again, thank you all for being responsible and guiding our great fraternity!

John

May-June::

Brethren,

Memorial Day draws near, and we are getting ready to honor those who gave their lives for this great nation.  These wonderful men and women paid the price so that we and others may live free.  Yet, their sacrifice was beyond service to their country.  They gave up their lives in service to each other. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.  They committed the ultimate act of Brotherly Love.  

They set an example that we as Freemasons should carry with us every day.  We are here for each other:  not for ourselves.

As many of you know, I am a 6th generation Freemason.  I am proud that Ian and Jacob are now the 7th.  I grew-up playing with the other kids while our Dads were in the lodge room.  My Father was the past presiding officer of every York Rite body there is at the constituent level.  As was my Grandfather.

Let me tell you a story about the greatest Mason, if not the greatest man, I have ever known.  My Uncle Bob.

Uncle Bob wasn’t really my Uncle.  But I didn’t know that until I was about 9.  It seems he was my Dad’s best friend.  They had grown-up, gone to war, come home, started families and gone through the chairs of their Lodge together.  During an audit of the books my Dad found that money was missing, and Uncle Bob had taken it.  My Dad reported it and Uncle Bob was expelled from the fraternity.  When it came to honor and high moral principles my Father was unyielding.  So, Uncle Bob became persona non grata, and was gone.

A couple of years later, my Dad died.  I was 11 and that’s a tough time to lose your Father.  Here come the Masons.  For the first month there were a hundred casseroles.  The second month, twenty.  By the fourth, silence.  The world had moved on.  Except for Uncle Bob.  He was always there.  Helping around the house.  Taking me to ballgames, for hamburgers and pizza, helping with my homework.  He taught me to use tools, mow the yard, work on a car and take the occasional sip of his beer when I was at his house.  Everything a boy needs, from a Dad.  After my Mom and I moved 120 miles away, who was there to fix broken things in the new house?  Uncle Bob.  Who was there when we needed money?  Uncle Bob.  Who was the friend of a kid who had been jerked away from everything and everyone he knew?  My Uncle Bob.  

Uncle Bob was a True Freemason.  Perfect?  No.  There’s no doubt he violated one of his obligations.  But he certainly lived up to the rest!

So never forget my friends - We are here for our Brothers, their wives, widows and orphans.  We are not here for ourselves.

John
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#1]

That's a really nice tribute to Uncle Bob and the rest is well written, informative and thoughtful.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Sep-Oct:

Brethren,

I hope you had a great summer with your family and friends.  Even though what we do as Freemasons is important and rewarding, we need to get away for a while and relax from our labors.

Okay, that time’s over.  Let’s get back to work!  

I’ve been trying to keep ahead in writing Trestleboard articles so that I don’t get down to the last minute and then just throw something together.  Back in April I began to write this edition’s article.  And if I may say, it was brilliant.  Over the period of a month, I’d think of something, make a note and incorporate it into the text.  But, as with all well laid plans, there came a problem.  My computer died a shocking, untimely death.  To make matters worse, my automatic back-ups weren’t automatically backing up.  The words were lost.

At first I thought it was no big deal.  I had printed a copy.  It’s easier, for me, to edit from the printed page than the computer screen.  Nope, it’s outa here too.  I tore the office and house apart.  Tricia asked why I didn’t just re-write it.  I had written it once, I could do it again.  Nope.  I had written it, so I didn’t need it in my head any longer.  Gone, gone…all gone.  The words were lost.

How could I forget?  How could I forget something so important?  How could I forget to do something so simple that would assure my success?  Humm…  Not lost words, forgotten words.

As Freemasons we learn and grow in search of knowledge and excellence.  But, in our zeal to achieve, we often forget to subdue our passions and remember that ours is a volunteer organization.  We so seek improvement in ourselves and others, we often forget what may be the most important quality we can possess.  Courtesy.  Far too often we tell our Brothers what to do.  We have forgotten an important word.  “Please”.

“Please” is the Forgotten Word of Freemasonry.  This one simple, single syllable word can be the key to open doors and reveal wonderful treasure.  A gentle “please” will influence action far more effectively that a forceful “you will”, or “you must”.  The response to “Please” will almost always be “sure”.  Look at that.  Success from a single word!

And then after the “Please”, always remember two other Forgotten Words.  “Thank you”.  On our break I was pondering what makes our fraternity so great.  It didn’t take a lot of deep thought to find the answer.  It’s our members.  Our Brothers have earned and deserve our respect.  Their efforts and cooperation must always be recognized.  Without them, we are nothing.

So please, take the time to be courteous to one another.  Please, love and respect each other.  Please, do your very best, every day, to grow and perpetuate our excellent institution.  Please, come to Lodge.  We miss you.

Thank you!

John
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top