Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2014 8:42:55 PM EDT
Brothers, While I am waiting for the response from Temples in VA and MD, does anybody Know if A Brother in one state can join a Shrine in another? A local charity has an event that is donating half of there proceeds to the Shriners Hospital Transportation Fund. That got me thinking about joining again. My problem is I live in WV and am  PA Mason. I would have liked to be a member of my town lodge but WV does not allow dual membership last time I looked, jerks. The PA shrine is 50 miles farther away than the one in MD and 20 miles farther than the one in VA. Can I join a Temple in a different state?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Cant you just make good with the one in PA and travel to the one close to you?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I don't need to make good with anybody. The local PA Temple is Harrisburg, 90 miles away. Cumberland, MD. 28 miles away, hence my question.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well I don't need to make good with anybody. The local PA Temple is Harrisburg, 90 miles away. Cumberland, MD. 28 miles away, hence my question.
View Quote

I must have misunderstood. You said join again, I thought you got behind.

I'm not sure of the exact rules, but I was asked to join the Shrine in Wheeling WV, and I live in PA. I ended up joining the Syria Shriners in Pittsburgh, because its where my friends are, but the Wheeling one is closer. I hope you get the correct answers.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:26:56 PM EDT
[#4]
No problem. I became a PA Mason with a friend who is now overseas. I had planned on moving to the area and then the housing market changed that plan. WV does not have dual membership which blows because there are some good guys here in town that are brothers and I would like to join them on a perm basis.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 3:39:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't quote me but I think you can. For some reason I think some guys in MS are members of a Shrine in LA because its closer. I think they had to get permission from the Shrine in MS that they would have joined if they had picked one in the state. Ask the Shrine or the grand lodge of your home lodge.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 2:45:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes you can
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Each Grand Lodge will have it's own set of rules that must be followed.

As I understand, all Lodges welcome Brother Travelers
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#8]
In NJ we take out of state brethren, basically "a mason is a mason". One of our Past Potentates was a NY mason only and he served a NJ shrine with great dedication.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#9]
This question was probably answered a month ago, but there are a lot of guys in Ali Ghan that live in WV or PA.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Humongo, Summers here so been busy and not following up on things like I should. Planning on pursuing membership this fall.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Outstanding!
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know if it's the proximity of my location in Indiana or all of Indiana, but I know I could Join Kosair Shrine in Louisville, KY if I had a mind to.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks Humongo, Summers here so been busy and not following up on things like I should. Planning on pursuing membership this fall.
View Quote

You have my sympathies when you walk the hot sands

Link Posted: 12/28/2014 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Bring it on!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top