Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2014 6:16:25 PM EDT
Good Afternoon Brothers,

Last night I was inducted and have started my journey of Freemasonry. After the ceremony, I was assigned an EA trainer and I have an issue I hope to have clarified.

My trainer is retired and has said the only time he cannot impart the lessons is during the afternoon 30min either side 4 o'clock. I work full time 8-5, have 3 children under 4, and currently have additional household duties due to my wife's broken foot, he is aware of my situation.

I've suggested meeting early in the morning prior to work from 6 or7 to 8am, but he doesn't get up until 9am, he isn't interested in lunch time meetings (I've offered to buy), or anytime before 430pm (only possible if I take lunch at the end of day) which means he is only available from 5pm on. On top of all of this, he lives 25min away and hasn't responded to ideas of meeting halfway at a restaurant/diner or other mutually beneficial location.

Is his lack of availability an attempt to see how determined I am at acquiring knowledge, is it a customary practice to see how far a trainee with go to learn? We are to have a discussion tomorrow regarding scheduling of meetings, if the above results of our previous discussion hold, would it be taken the wrong way if I make a request to the secretary to reassign me to another trainer?

My heart is true and my intentions are to learn, I'm wondering if he is trying to shake me out or otherwise is making training more difficult that it already is.

Highest Regards,
Freefire
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Congratulations Brother.

Your coach should work with you, not against you. Lots of times the lodges will ask the retired guys to mentor because they have a lot of spare time.  Apparently this older Brother has to much on his plate. Please forgive him and seek the advice of the Secretary.  He should get you a mentor who is able to work when you can.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Good news, after meeting in person, he offered to meet in the mornings ~630, additionally he agreed to telephone refreshers when scheduled conflict or when a roadblock encountered.

Thank you both for the suggestions and support.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Great news brothers, after many early mornings and late nights, I'm happy to announce I was raised to the degree of Master Mason last week. My earlier trepidation was unfounded, and though the course of training I realized my trainer was more like my late grandfather and time training reminded me of him.

Its amazing to be part of such a wonderful fraternity bonded by shared experiences and belief.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Congratulations Brother. We are all very happy it worked out for you and know your journey has been and will be well worth it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:45:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Congrats 1
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:46:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats brother!!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:22:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Congrats brother!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top