Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2014 9:18:05 AM EDT
Brothers,

We have an older Vet in our lodge who is associated with our local VFW, who undertook a noble task. The VFW had over 150 5' X 9.5' coffin flags that they were trying to find any families of the deceased for.

It has been a monumental task for our Brother who has done a great job of finding these flags a home.

That being said, our lodge is still in possession of 40 or more orphaned flags.

The Brother has recently been diagnosed with lung cancer for the second time . He will be leaving Sunday to go upstate for 7 weeks of chemo at the hospital. He has a hospice to stay at so he is taken care of. However his wife isn't so blessed. It is about a 1.5 - 2 hour trip (depending on traffic) Our lodge will help out as much as possible with transportation for her to get there as often as possible.  

Now the issue of the orphaned flags came up a couple of weeks back. It was suggested that these be turned into the American Legion for destruction. I thought it would be better to use them to raise funds for our local charities. We raise as much money as we can (mostly through candy sales as we don't have a great facility for dinners and such). Among the charities we support are the county Special Olympics, 3 different Boy Scout & Cub Scout troops, scholarships for local students & a few others (like the situation with our elder Brother)

With the official OK from Site Staff & The Beer Slayer I want to offer them up to my Masonic Brothers.

These are 48 star flags with stitched stripes & stars. I brought a few home & will try to get pictures up tonight.  I was researching and the going rate seems to be around $40-$50 dollars with some going higher (based on date? I really don't know how to date these)

I am going to start off at $50/shipped on these.(If this is too crazy please feel free to make an offer if interested). The lodge wanted me to use a sharpie and black out the names, I think they should be left on to honour the Vets who have passed and not to take away any of the history of these items. As a vet myself, I would have no problem leaving my name on one of these.

I will try to get the pics up tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks Brothers!
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 11:25:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Brother, I would be honored to contribute and give one of these flags a home.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for stepping up D+H,

When I get home I will touch base via IM with a list of names/condition and you get the pick of the litter
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#3]
DogsandHogs,

I must apologize, In haste last night I grabbed a stack off of the end of the table. They were all 50 star flags..

I will have to go back some time over the weekend or Monday to get more. I will grab from the other side of the table
this time. I know we looked at a few from that side and they were indeed 48 star flags

The Brother working on these must have had these separated out
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#4]
No problem at all.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#5]

I am interested also.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Brother, I'd like one too.  I lost my Grandfathers 48 star flag in a move.  Please pm me when you're ready with the address.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#7]

I received a very nice flag today.

I will be flying it on Veterans Day and Memorial Day. These types of flags are not meant to be outside all the time. I am doing some renovations around the house and one of my projects is a better/larger flagpole.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I am pleased that you are satisfied.

Brothers, I am very limited on choice of 48 stars. (Please IM for info)
I do however have many nice 50 star 5' x 9'5" available. These cost me an average
Of $10  to ship so a donation of $35 for our charities would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all!
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I am scheduled for my F.C. degree this coming Tuesday.  Hopefully I will qualify soon.  At that point it would be an honor to be included.  hcso617 I will be sure to let you know when I am scheduled to be raised.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top