Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2014 10:06:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for posting... never really gave it any thought before.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 11:37:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I have seen Brothers wear their rings both ways (compass away and compass towards). the reasons are an numbered and varied as the wearers... they only thing that remains consistent it the assumption of correctness.

Absent clear instruction, I can see no reason for the wearer to change their habits
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 11:37:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Makes sense to me.  I wear my ring with the points of the compass down (in other words away from me.)

I don't mind if brothers wear it the other way.  However, esthetically that doesn't appeal to me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 3:42:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I wear mine facing me to remind me of my obligations.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Ive noticed the older Brothers wear it facing them and the younger ones wear it facing outwards.

I have a signet ring, so I wear it facing outwards. Signets rings were designed to place a symbol in a wax seal. If the compass is facing me, then the seal would be upside down.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive noticed the older Brothers wear it facing them and the younger ones wear it facing outwards.

I have a signet ring, so I wear it facing outwards. Signets rings were designed to place a symbol in a wax seal. If the compass is facing me, then the seal would be upside down.

View Quote

Not if you turn whatever you're sealing around.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#7]
You have much wisdom, Brother PSI.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 10:55:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Usually I'm the pillar of beauty.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 10:58:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Wait a minute.  I just realized that two posts ago you called me old.

So much for the pillar of wisdom.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Some go by reminding themselves of their obligation (points towards them) or letting others know they are a MM (points down when hand is hanging)

Some ask you to remember where you were in the lodge in relation to the Altar when instructed on how to give the secret word of MM and truly understood the degree you just went through. The points of the compass were facing you.

It's all a matter of how you view the esoteric nature of the symbol of our craft.

Others pick up the ring and explain that God chose how it was going to go on the finger that day.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:44:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Some go by reminding themselves of their obligation (points towards them) or letting others know they are a MM (points down when hand is hanging)

Some ask you to remember where you were in the lodge in relation to the Altar when instructed on how to give the secret word of MM and truly understood the degree you just went through. The points of the compass were facing you.

It's all a matter of how you view the esoteric nature of the symbol of our craft.

Others pick up the ring and explain that God chose how it was going to go on the finger that day.
View Quote

I traditionally wear mine "points away" but that just might change now.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#12]
as it was explained to me, you wear it points facing you. "you already know who you are."
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:07:00 PM EDT
[#15]
So my ring ended up "points towards" today.  First time I can remember wearing it like that.  It was definitely a huge reminder of my obligation.  We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't have this dilema......don't have a ring yet

All of the ones styled nicely are very expensive.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

3 pages of sterling rings. most are under $100, some under $60.  I got my ring here.

These rings are  silver, I don't wear mine to do any labor type work in, but for lodge and around the house and going out they are perfect.

the owner is a Past Master in PA and is super friendly and helpful.  Our lodge is buying all new aprons from him as well.

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 2:13:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

there are some fairly inexpensive rings out there.

i bought a sack full from a local cosmetic jeweler a couple of years ago for 5.00 ea. they are cheap but to be honest not terribly bad. don't turn green and i have worn one daily for 3 years now and it still looks good <i am bad about losing rings>. i give one to every candidate that i brought in when they get raised.

i also have a titanium SR 'yod' band that i paid about 65.00 for. i don't buy expensive rings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i bought a sack full from a local cosmetic jeweler a couple of years ago for 5.00 ea. they are cheap but to be honest not terribly bad. don't turn green and i have worn one daily for 3 years now and it still looks good <i am bad about losing rings>. i give one to every candidate that i brought in when they get raised.

i also have a titanium SR 'yod' band that i paid about 65.00 for. i don't buy expensive rings.

Oh I see the inexpensive ones....but most are huge and not really my style. I see some signet styles that are slimmer/sleeker that I would sport, but the prices are up there.
I'll just keep perusing the local pawn / thrift shops.....eventually the 'right' one will turn up
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been looking for a stainless steel ring that doesn't look like costume jewelry for a while. I just want something that will take a bit of abuse. I've broken the band on my sterling ring 3 times.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#21]
$105 for a stainless steel ring that has a no bullshit warranty.  I wear mine everyday.  Gordon Spurlock is on the level.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 11:41:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I want both points of my compasses keeping me grounded.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#24]
The old men in the lodge always told me you wear your ring the way it was presented to you. They all know I was working night shift and fell asleep at "that point" in the 3rd. The Senior Warden was even shooting rubber bands at my head to wake me up. I don't remember how it was presented to me.

I always wore mine points down when I wear it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 7:25:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

we don't generally present rings here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The old men in the lodge always told me you wear your ring the way it was presented to you. They all know I was working night shift and fell asleep at "that point" in the 3rd. The Senior Warden was even shooting rubber bands at my head to wake me up. I don't remember how it was presented to me.

Same. Nothing is presented to the candidate
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 10:27:07 PM EDT
[#27]
We give a S&C lapel pin, a white leather apron, a Bible and a coin with their name, our Lodge's name and the dates of their initiation, passing and raising.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 11:03:26 PM EDT
[#28]
We get a hand shake and a "welcome".

when we return our work we get the Bible and Apron.

I've seen the coins, they are hella cool.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 9:42:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It wasn't the lodge the presented mine. Dad, My Uncle and the Chaplin (Deacon at my church) and Senior Warden (Old old gentleman who knew my great grandfather) gave me mine after the degree. They called it presenting.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#31]

i bought a sack full from a local cosmetic jeweler a couple of years ago for 5.00 ea. they are cheap but to be honest not terribly bad. don't turn green and i have worn one daily for 3 years now and it still looks good <i am bad about losing rings> i give one to every candidate that i brought in when they get raised.

I can attest. The_Beer_Slayer presented me with a ring when I was raised. I wear it with pride. Wait... $5.00? I thought it cost you $1000.00!?!?!  LOL
View All Quotes

i bought a sack full from a local cosmetic jeweler a couple of years ago for 5.00 ea. they are cheap but to be honest not terribly bad. don't turn green and i have worn one daily for 3 years now and it still looks good <i am bad about losing rings> i give one to every candidate that i brought in when they get raised.

I can attest. The_Beer_Slayer presented me with a ring when I was raised. I wear it with pride. Wait... $5.00? I thought it cost you $1000.00!?!?!  LOL
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
$105 for a stainless steel ring that has a no bullshit warranty.  I wear mine everyday.  Gordon Spurlock is on the level.
View Quote

That's cool. When I first started working as an assembler at Boeing, I made a ring out of an Inconel nut. It took about 18 hours working on it here and there to ream it out to the right size, remove five of the six sides, thin it down to a wearable band, and polish it. I have thought about adding a S&C. This may be an inspiration to make it happen.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I found this thread interesting.  I was taught to wear my ring with the points toward me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:47:12 AM EDT
[#35]
When I wear it....I wear it on my finger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top