Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2014 2:29:28 AM EDT
Guys, dont get to this part of the board much. I have a question.
When my grandfather passed away in 1991, my father inherited his Mason ring. Over Christmas he and I were talking and the subject came up. What does a non-Mason do with a Mason ring? Dad was thinking of returning it to grandpas old lodge in Ohio.
I didnt know what to tell him. Is that appropriate? Should he just keep it as a memory?
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 5:22:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Keep it.  It will be priceless to any descendant should he decide to join.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 7:01:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm wearing my wife's grandfather's ring.  Hopefully one day our son will be wearing it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 12:39:01 PM EDT
[#4]
This is a family heirloom. Hopefully your grandfather isn't the last member of the family to join the Fraternity. Keep it and continue to pass it along.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

When my grandfather passed away in 1991, my father inherited his Mason ring. Over Christmas he and I were talking and the subject came up. What does a non-Mason do with a Mason ring? Dad was thinking of returning it to grandpas old lodge in Ohio.

I didnt know what to tell him. Is that appropriate? Should he just keep it as a memory?
View Quote
I would want to wear it.

Link Posted: 1/9/2014 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Very true.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I would want to wear it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would want to wear it.

What you did I see it

Link Posted: 1/9/2014 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#8]
How are you bwhen?
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 6:36:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

How are you bwhen?
View Quote
I am good, how's your brass holding out. I'm getting ready to load a batch of .45 acp in the next couple of weeks, I've got all the components just need to set aside the time.

Link Posted: 1/10/2014 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I am good, how's your brass holding out. I'm getting ready to load a batch of .45 acp in the next couple of weeks, I've got all the components just need to set aside the time.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How are you bwhen?

Brass is good, but will trade with a Brother if needed.  I have some nice Federal, Win and R+P sorted and clean.

Link Posted: 1/12/2014 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Keep it, Masonic or not, there are memories attached to that ring.
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm wearing my wife's grandfather's ring.  Hopefully one day our son will be wearing it.
View Quote

Same here.  I hope to pass it along to my son someday also.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Keep it, a masons ring means a lot to him, maybe someday you will want to find out why. I got my grandfathers ring when I was raised in 2001, and passed it on to my younger brother when his time came in 2010. I can't tell you how it felt to wear it, and see the look on my brothers face when he earned the right to wear it as well!
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Keep it, a masons ring means a lot to him, maybe someday you will want to find out why. I got my grandfathers ring when I was raised in 2001, and passed it on to my younger brother when his time came in 2010. I can't tell you how it felt to wear it, and see the look on my brothers face when he earned the right to wear it as well!
View Quote

I'm proud to wear my Father-In-Law's ring.
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#17]
OP, have you given any thought to joining and wearing it yourself?
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#18]

We raised a man last year.  About 20 years ago, he was asking his father about Masonry and was wanting to join. While procrastinating about it, his father died. He thought about it for another 20 years and decided to join late last year.

Hes over 60 years old and is now wearing his dads ring. He gave a nice speech after he was raised about how it just kills him that he didn't join sooner because of everything he had missed.

Link Posted: 2/7/2014 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 2/19/2014 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#20]
As others have stated, it should be kept.
My grandfather was buried with his. I would love to have had the opportunity to converse masonically with him. He passed away when I was four. All I have are pictures, now that my dad has also passed.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

+3
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I'm wearing my wife's grandfather's ring. Hopefully one day our son will be wearing it.
View Quote

I am as well.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:19:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We raised a man last year.  About 20 years ago, he was asking his father about Masonry and was wanting to join. While procrastinating about it, his father died. He thought about it for another 20 years and decided to join late last year.

Hes over 60 years old and is now wearing his dads ring. He gave a nice speech after he was raised about how it just kills him that he didn't join sooner because of everything he had missed.

View Quote

Sadly, this will be me. My grand-dad was a Mason (he died while I was very young), and my dad was a Mason and he passed away 2 years ago. I have both my g/dad and dads mason rings. they just sit in my safe for now.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 11:20:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sadly, this will be me. My grand-dad was a Mason (he died while I was very young), and my dad was a Mason and he passed away 2 years ago. I have both my g/dad and dads mason rings. they just sit in my safe for now.
View Quote

It's never too late.  Visit a couple of local lodges about 30 minutes to an hour before their stated meetings.  The most it will cost you is an hour or two of time.

http://lodges.glflamason.org/public/Lodge-Search.aspx
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Where bouts in FL are you?

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 10:26:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Im in West Cental Florida - Pinellas area. I have a couple friends that are Masons, ive talked to one for awhile for it. He explained the dedication involved and I wouldnt want to half-ass my efforts, too much going on, that is why i havent followed thru.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 12:07:33 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Im in West Cental Florida - Pinellas area. I have a couple friends that are Masons, ive talked to one for awhile for it. He explained the dedication involved and I wouldnt want to half-ass my efforts, too much going on, that is why i havent followed thru.
View Quote

I was raised at Star Lodge in Largo.  I've since moved up around Gainesville.  If you want a contact to speak with at the lodge there, let me know.

Masonry is like any other endeavour...  you get out of it what you put into it.  It can be very fulfilling.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#28]
About 15yrs after my Grandfather passed away, my Father and Mother started traveling full time in their RV. Not wanting their heirlooms to be lost, in case of theft or an accident while on the road, they gave them to me to store safely. One night, I was going thru my Grandfather's things and came across his Masonic ring. Intrigued, I asked Dad about it (which he is/was not a Mason), but he only knew Grandpa attended lodge in Mn. After a lot of phone calls, talking to local Masons, emails, etc., I found as much as I could about Grandpa's role(s) in his lodge.

All of this led me to my degree work and subsequently being raised in my local lodge (cloverleaf #990). If it hadn't been for Grandpa's ring, I never would have seen the light.

My suggestion to the OP is: contact your local lodge...possibly The Masonic Lodge will be your new home.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I was raised at Star Lodge in Largo.  I've since moved up around Gainesville.  If you want a contact to speak with at the lodge there, let me know.

Masonry is like any other endeavour...  you get out of it what you put into it.  It can be very fulfilling.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know,,and that is why I havent joined a good friend of mine is a Mason and we got to talking about it. I was honest with him and said I didnt have that much time to dedicate right now, i wouldnt want to 1/2 ass it, as I know its value and importance.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Double post.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I took almost a year from being initiated to completing the process. I had a lot going on in that year ranging from working a full time job raising kids and responding to the scene where a dear friend of mine was shot 5 times. If it were not for my journey to the light no telling where I might be today.

My point is don't let an opportunity to better yourself pass you by. Take as long as you need to make it through, just start the journey and let it take you where you need to go.

As far as I know I am the only Mason, specifically Master Mason in my family. I have 2 bro's in law that helped me begin and complete my journey. I had been married into the family for 13 years and always wondered why they never asked me to join, one day a conversation arose and I figured screw it I'm gonna ask why i was not good enough, whelp, the rest is history.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I know,,and that is why I havent joined a good friend of mine is a Mason and we got to talking about it. I was honest with him and said I didnt have that much time to dedicate right now, i wouldnt want to 1/2 ass it, as I know its value and importance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just go start the process. You, of all people have time.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im not retired yet...still working and busting my ass..get home tired and just chill. lol.

My dad's "dress" ring

Pocket watch..im guessing my dads or my granddads

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Im not retired yet...still working and busting my ass..get home tired and just chill. lol.

My dad's "dress" ring

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/die-tryin/rings002.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/die-tryin/rings008.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My dad's "dress" ring

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/die-tryin/rings002.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/die-tryin/rings008.jpg

I started at 40. 44 now.

I would do everything in my power to be able to wear that awesome ring AND make my father proud.

Even if your dad isn't around, he will know you are following in his footsteps.

Masonry doesn't take a huge amount of time out of your life, but the longer you wait, the more you will miss and you will kick yourself in the ass later.

I'll do what it takes to get you started if you need me too, just like I have for a half dozen guys on here.

Men like you are what makes this Masonry so great!!

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:13:33 PM EDT
[#35]
I appreciate it..IM sent.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#36]
If you need any additional assistance, I would be glad to help as well.  I hope to be moving to the New Smyrna Beach / Edgewater area soon.  Good luck.  You will find help everywhere you look for it in Masonry.  I have found other masons to be like relatives that you never knew you had.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#37]
I was raised on Tuesday, August 26th......it is an honor to now wear my Father's or my Grandfather's rings.
I wish I had done this earlier......it is never too late, to begin the journey and acquire more light.

TexasAg

Link Posted: 9/3/2014 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top