Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What state are you in?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I dropped in my petition for consideration tonight at a dinner. Reacquainted with a few folks I've known most of my life, but ner knew they were practicers of the Craft.. met some great new people as well.

What state are you in?

Alabama.

update: the ball is rolling.  Meeting with the SD at my cousin's Lodge for a interview Thurs. Had a dinner with my boss and some of the brethren at his Lodge a few weeks ago.
all in all, same great fellowship that every lodge I've visited exemplifies.  Hope this goes well.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not eligible to be a mason but I agree with what they do (helping people) so occasionally I read in this sub-forum but do not comment.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm not eligible to be a mason but I agree with what they do (helping people) so occasionally I read in this sub-forum but do not comment.
View Quote

You're welcome to post and ask questions anytime.  If you don't mind my asking, why don't you think you're eligible?  We only have a couple of requirements.
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Met with 3 brothers from the lodge I petitioned tonite.  Got postponed due to work/inclement weather. I felt it went well, but we'll see in a few weeks if I'm entering.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Met with 3 brothers from the lodge I petitioned tonite.  Got postponed due to work/inclement weather. I felt it went well, but we'll see in a few weeks if I'm entering.
View Quote

Best wishes!  What state?
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:24:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alabama. petitioned lodge #633 Huffman
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 7:10:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote
Good luck!  I have a feeling you did just fine.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I think this would be something my husband would benefit from. He really doesn't have man friends.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 2:47:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think this would be something my husband would benefit from. He really doesn't have man friends.
View Quote

If either of you have questions don't hesitate to ask.

IM if you'd like.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:16:05 PM EDT
[#12]
It has always intrigued me and I think I am ready but am not quite sure how to proceed. My great grandfather was a Mason in Cuba and possibly in Miami. I live in Fairfax, VA. There are Masons at work but I'm not comfortable approaching them to ask questions. Suggestions are welcome.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

It has always intrigued me and I think I am ready but am not quite sure how to proceed. My great grandfather was a Mason in Cuba and possibly in Miami. I live in Fairfax, VA. There are Masons at work but I'm not comfortable approaching them to ask questions. Suggestions are welcome.
View Quote
Send me an e-mail. I will help you proceed.

Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:58:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

trust me when i say this, there are 2 things you can't be assured of with a mason.... they LOVE talking to people interested and the love food.

they should be happy to talk to you. if not find your local lodge and show up about an hour before a stated meeting time. they will
welcome you like family.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

trust me when i say this, there are 2 things you can't be assured of with a mason.... they LOVE talking to people interested and the love food.

they should be happy to talk to you. if not find your local lodge and show up about an hour before a stated meeting time. they will
welcome you like family.

Thanks for the replies. I am a little apprehensive to just show up at a meeting to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I'm not shy in any way.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are several Lodges in Fairfax. I belong to Concord #307 in Vienna where I am the current Junior Deacon, and I just love it.

I'll echo some of the other sentiments stated here that Masons everywhere would be more than happy to speak with you on the subject. I think there's a connection between being Mason, and loving to talk. At least it sure seems that way. It might just be me.

Masons don't recruit because that would defeat our main goal of personal growth and that fact alone should refute all the "Masons want to take over the world" nonsense. Our goal is not to be the biggest or most powerful organization in the world, but to help make good men better. Since forcing someone to do something they don't necessarily want to do is a fool's errand, we wait for men to decide they want to join. That means they'll certainly be more open to the idea of personal improvement, which is the goal of Masons and Freemasonry.

As the child of two psychologists, I often compare what we do to one of my Mom's favorite jokes. How many psychologists does it take to change a light bulb? One; but the light bulb has to want to change.  

We can help you be a better man, but you have to want it, first.

PM me if you have more questions, or want to meet and discuss.

SMS-ret
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I have emailed and was invited to dine with the lodge the second Tuesday in April. I am excited to become acquainted with the lodge and to begin the petitioning. Thanks for the replies will update in a new thread.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:12:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome! Good luck! :)

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I have emailed and was invited to dine with the lodge the second Tuesday in April. I am excited to become acquainted with the lodge and to begin the petitioning. Thanks for the replies will update in a new thread.
View Quote

glad to hear.

Are you having dinner at the lodge you originally talked about?

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:44:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I am having dinner with the lodge in Fairfax, Henry Lodge #57. The dress is Business Casual. The other lodge, Concord, is in Vienna, not far, but in this area traffic at rush hour and being on time to meetings would be a concern.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:46:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You're welcome to post and ask questions anytime.  If you don't mind my asking, why don't you think you're eligible?  We only have a couple of requirements.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agnostic  
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:24:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:57:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

agnostic is not atheism, it simply means you are unsure..

ag·nos·tic
ag'nästik/
noun
a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

while we do require a belief in a higher power who and what it is is left to you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agnostic  

agnostic is not atheism, it simply means you are unsure..

ag·nos·tic
ag'nästik/
noun
a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

while we do require a belief in a higher power who and what it is is left to you.

I do appreciate what you are saying but that seems too close to sophism.  If I joined a brotherhood I couldn't start like that...although I seem to remember belief in a certain floating pasta creature...

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I read some of the threads in this forum out of curiosity, but I haven't posted here before out of respect.
View Quote

+1
I have been on ar15 for years and never knew this section existed.
Curiosity lead me to read a few posts.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I read some of the threads in this forum out of curiosity, but I haven't posted here before out of respect.

+1

Welcome!
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 4:34:19 AM EDT
[#26]
From Wisconsin and ready.  Ever since I discovered my higher being and learned to understand it, I have felt compelled to reach out but never knew where to start.  I desire to seek enrichment and honor my own by loyal conduct.

I have contacted wisc-freemasonry.org, I shall wait and see what happens because I too, need to see everything.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 5:33:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 7:42:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
From Wisconsin and ready.  Ever since I discovered my higher being and learned to understand it, I have felt compelled to reach out but never knew where to start.  I desire to seek enrichment and honor my own by loyal conduct.

I have contacted wisc-freemasonry.org, I shall wait and see what happens because I too, need to see everything.
View Quote

Check your IM.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
each lodge has a different "personality". we have lodges here within a few miles of each other that range from formal to very casual attire. some lodges may cater to an older or younger crowd etc. Some lodges are VERY active with charity work, other do very little.

this is why it's important to visit a couple and see what fits you the best.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There are three lodges in the city where I live, how (and why) would I choose one over the others?

each lodge has a different "personality". we have lodges here within a few miles of each other that range from formal to very casual attire. some lodges may cater to an older or younger crowd etc. Some lodges are VERY active with charity work, other do very little.

Choose the lodge that fits you. You can support any lodge you wish, even if you're not a member. Plurar memberships are the normal thing around here.

Link Posted: 4/21/2015 3:56:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 6:26:04 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Interesting.  Thank you both.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are three lodges in the city where I live, how (and why) would I choose one over the others?

Choose the lodge that fits you. You can support any lodge you wish, even if you're not a member. Plurar memberships are the normal thing around here.  

Interesting.  Thank you both.  

My typing stinks. That should say plural memberships.

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top