Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 3:22:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
well, not formally. KOC does have it's roots in masonry.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Father in law was a KOC before his passing, I've been interested and read here from time to time.
KoC and Masonry are not related.

well, not formally. KOC does have it's roots in masonry.
shh, don't tell the pope.

Link Posted: 12/31/2013 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I read some of the threads in this forum out of curiosity, but I haven't posted here before out of respect.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 12:19:13 AM EDT
[#4]

I've been lurking here for awhile.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 9:40:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I lurk from time to time. I'm also interested, but I have a lot of things to take care of and get straight in my own life before i take on ANY more responsibility.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 9:14:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I recently met a member of this forum that also happens to be a mason.  
When I learned that you didn't have to be a brick layer or stone worker to be a member , I became interested in learning more...well that and learning the secret of the dinner menu PSI talked about...
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#7]
signing in here.  Don't know what the fuck a mason is either
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 11:40:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

signing in here.  Don't know what the fuck a mason is either
View Quote
Freemasonry is a fraternity of brothers who share one common goal: to help each other become better men.  We strengthen and improve our character by learning and practicing basic virtues of fraternal love, charity, and truth.  Our principles extend far beyond our interactions with each other, and we strive to apply them to our daily lives.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's a video from the Wisconsin Grand Lodge's website.  "Mason Mike" is the Senior Warden of my Lodge.  He does a great job of explaining some of the basic questions of Freemasonry.

How to Join - Grand Lodge Free and Accepted Masons of Wisconsin
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#10]
That Mike is one hell of a guy!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Non mason here, Read all the threads.
Father is current WM and 8 time past master at his lodge in CO.  Grandfather was a mason, and multiple past master in VT.
My father is my first signature on the petition.
My petition was submitted and read on Jan 8th.  My interview is Feb 2nd by the investigative committee..
Read, learn and keep my mouth shut
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 11:33:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That Mike is one hell of a guy!!
View Quote

As Master I couldn't ask for a better Senior Warden.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 7:58:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I have parused this forum and others around the web. Mostly absorbing info, never posting.

I would like to post as i do have questions about Masonry. I have been invited by a 3rd generation Master Mason after expressing an interest. He explained some things to me but I have not bothered him yet to pursue it or to get more info.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I have parused this forum and others around the web. Mostly absorbing info, never posting.

I would like to post as i do have questions about Masonry. I have been invited by a 3rd generation Master Mason after expressing an interest. He explained some things to me but I have not bothered him yet to pursue it or to get more info.
View Quote
We will be glad to answer any questions  that you may have about the organization or how to join. You make simply ask in this thread.

Link Posted: 2/12/2014 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys, I will give more thought to try and elequently pose the questions I have.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks guys, I will give more thought to try and elequently pose the questions I have.
View Quote

I see you're a fellow Cheesehead.  IM me if you'd like.

If you're in the Green Bay area we could grab a cup of coffee.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 2:22:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Father is current WM and 8 time past master at his lodge in CO.  Grandfather was a mason, and multiple past master in VT.
My petition was submitted and read on Jan 8th.  My interview is Feb 2nd by the investigative committee..
View Quote

Congrats!  Because of this thread and some help from a kind gentleman here I've been through the investigative committee and expect to be voted in the 18th.  The investigative committee was a real eye opener and I'm truly impressed by the quality of knowledge of the fine people.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Congrats!  Because of this thread and some help from a kind gentleman here I've been through the investigative committee and expect to be voted in the 18th.  The investigative committee was a real eye opener and I'm truly impressed by the quality of knowledge of the fine people.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You are welcome. It was my pleasure getting you the info you seek.

Tell us about the eye opening experience.  What do you mean?

Link Posted: 2/13/2014 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was impressed that there are people in this area who hold similar views to me- I was about to give up on this whole area as hopeless. There ARE good people with proper intentions and values around here, I just had no way to know who they were or a way to befriend like-minded people.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Post away.  We're just a bunch of guys in a fraternity.  The topics we discuss in lodge we consider important.  But, the whole secret thing is overblown.

If you have questions, ask.  The only things we can't talk about are the launch codes, the world banking conspiracy and the dinner menu.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I read some of the threads in this forum out of curiosity, but I haven't posted here before out of respect.

This.

Post away.  We're just a bunch of guys in a fraternity.  The topics we discuss in lodge we consider important.  But, the whole secret thing is overblown.

If you have questions, ask.  The only things we can't talk about are the launch codes, the world banking conspiracy and the dinner menu.

You better not tell him how the Swedish Meatball vote went down.

ETA - those of you who say you don't post in this forum out of respect, don't worry about it. Respect is respect, it's usually pretty easy to see when someone is respectful and someone else is not.

The_Beer_Slayer covered most of the salient points in this post: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_162/1569756_Non_Masons_sign_in_.html&page=2#i44789784, although he came dangerously close to giving up the Macaroni and Cheese secret and he'd better be careful.

There are a few things we are not allowed to discuss, mostly modes of recognition as he noted. Lodge business is lodge business and comments are reserved for members because they're the ones who pay the dues and manage the fraternity. It's all volunteer, too, so it's nice when you're taking time away from the rest of your life that you can tell a third party you're not allowed to discuss Lodge business when he tells you how should really do it.

If your question gets a vague answer, you might have hit on one of the topics we're supposed to keep to ourselves. We are also not allowed to actively recruit members. This is why you won't, or shouldn't, see men asking their buddies if they want to be Masons. You're supposed to initiate the process, and there is a very good reason for that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I read this forum semi-regularly, in 2011 I was invited to my local lodge for dinner and was completely ignorant of Masonic culture.  I have declined to petition them to-date but do stop and have dinner every few months at their invite, usually preceded by browsing the new posts in this forum.

If you're reading this and on the fence about that first contact, go have dinner.  It won't be as awkward as you think. They do a great job of making you feel welcome and removing the "mysticism" that surrounds them (probably not the correct word).
Link Posted: 3/1/2014 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Just trying to unravel the great conspiracy of the Illuminati and you "people" trying to dominate the world.

Link Posted: 3/1/2014 8:04:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I couldn't have said it any better.

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 9:47:30 PM EDT
[#25]
not a member, but i will be someday... life is just getting in the way right now.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I know several people that are Masons. I sit back and listen to them
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same

I know several people that are Masons. I sit back and listen to them

Non-mason here just checking things out. Grandfather, Father, Uncles and my best friend are all mason. I have no desire to become a mason I just find it very interesting.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, is my situation as well
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 3:41:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have questions, ask.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 4:39:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks to the help of someone here, I can no longer post as a non-Mason as of last Tuesday.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thanks to the help of someone here, I can no longer post as a non-Mason as of last Tuesday.

View Quote

Outstanding!
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 10:12:03 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
It was my pleasure to get you on your way, Brother!!

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 12:33:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Outstanding!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Outstanding!
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:21:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Not a Mason, don't know much about Masons other than it seems to be a social club for morally responsible and upright men. My impression is that it helps greatly to be a Believer, specifically a catholic.... is that true?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

My impression is that it helps greatly to be a Believer, specifically a catholic.... is that true?
View Quote

Freemasonry is a fraternity of brothers who share one common goal: to help each other become better men.  We strengthen and improve our character by learning and practicing basic virtues of fraternal love, charity, and truth.  Our principles extend far beyond our interactions with each other, and we strive to apply them to our daily lives.  All who join Freemasonry must declare their belief in the existence of a Supreme Being, and practice their own personal faith,  but the fraternity is neither a religion nor a place to worship. Rather, it is a place where men of all monotheistic creeds can meet  and focus on the great truths of peaceful human interaction that are common to all religions.

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:44:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Freemasonry is a fraternity of brothers who share one common goal: to help each other become better men.  We strengthen and improve our character by learning and practicing basic virtues of fraternal love, charity, and truth.  Our principles extend far beyond our interactions with each other, and we strive to apply them to our daily lives.  All who join Freemasonry must declare their belief in the existence of a Supreme Being, and practice their own personal faith,  but the fraternity is neither a religion nor a place to worship. Rather, it is a place where men of all monotheistic creeds can meet  and focus on the great truths of peaceful human interaction that are common to all religions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My impression is that it helps greatly to be a Believer, specifically a catholic.... is that true?

Hmm.... Everything you wrote sounds good to me, the only hitch would be believing in a Supreme Being. I have great faith in our social contract, great faith in mankind. I believe that I can't truly be successful until I help others be successful. I believe in something bigger than myself-it's just not a singular supreme being.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:34:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Hmm.... Everything you wrote sounds good to me, the only hitch would be believing in a Supreme Being. I have great faith in our social contract, great faith in mankind. I believe that I can't truly be successful until I help others be successful. I believe in something bigger than myself-it's just not a singular supreme being.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me put it another way.  If you were to go to court and had to put your right hand on a bible and swear on it.. would that mean anything to you?

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Let me put it another way.  If you were to go to court and had to put your right hand on a bible and swear on it.. would that mean anything to you?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, in the past I informed the judge that I was not a believer and she just had me swear to tell the truth.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
No, in the past I informed the judge that I was not a believer and she just had me swear to tell the truth.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fair enough. Do you consider yourself an atheist?

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

No. An atheist says there is no God. I don't know that there isn't a God, just that people's explanation of their Gods have never been able to square with what I know about the world and universe. I am a nuts and bolts/deal in the physical world only kind of person-Faith is a difficult concept for me because I can't see it, touch it, or explain it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:07:14 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
No. An atheist says there is no God. I don't know that there isn't a God, just that people's explanation of their Gods have never been able to square with what I know about the world and universe. I am a nuts and bolts/deal in the physical world only kind of person-Faith is a difficult concept for me because I can't see it, touch it, or explain it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok.. I'm trying to help you here. It sounds like you might want to find out if Masonry is right for you.  You seem to have all the qualifications, except for the this one, and you are not sure of it.

How about answering this. In times of danger, difficult situations or distress, who do you put your trust?

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:12:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I like around sometimes hoping one of you will slip up and give me a clue with the gold is buried
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Ok.. I'm trying to help you here. It sounds like you might want to find out if Masonry is right for you.  You seem to have all the qualifications, except for the this one, and you are not sure of it.

How about answering this. In times of danger, difficult situations or distress, who do you put your trust?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, hard to say. If I am going thru a hard time I either muddle thru it or pull myself out by the bootstraps. As a single night shifter without a close family network, my problems are usually just that-mine. I can't say that I look to a spiritual being for guidance or answers. Got a fantastic lady I'll be marrying soon, so some support during hard times will be nice.

I appreciate the responses, belonging to a fraternal organization is appealing to me-it would be easy for me to get past others being believers-they just have to understand that I'm not one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Well, hard to say. If I am going thru a hard time I either muddle thru it or pull myself out by the bootstraps. As a single night shifter without a close family network, my problems are usually just that-mine. I can't say that I look to a spiritual being for guidance or answers. Got a fantastic lady I'll be marrying soon, so some support during hard times will be nice.
I appreciate the responses, belonging to a fraternal organization is appealing to me-it would be easy for me to get past others being believers-they just have to understand that I'm not one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There are a lot of fantastic, good and decent individuals out there they just can't be Masons if the don't believe in a Supreme Being. I'm not so sure you are an atheist  and maybe you are not sure either. Do a little soul searching and personal reflection before coming to a conclusion.

Take 10 minutes to read this article and a day to think about it. http://www.freemasons-freemasonry.com/atheism-freemasonry.html

Now that you have read it, what do you think?

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:26:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Unfortunately, what I took from it is that I am incompatible with Masonry for a variety of reasons, but primary is that because I do not believe in a God, I do not understand his expectations of me, which are also expected of Masons. Further, the author explained that because I lacked this fundamental structure, I could not relate to other Masons as they practice their craft.

So there is it, I guess.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:25:11 PM EDT
[#46]
I am glad you were able to find out about our organization and get the answers you need to determine if its the right thing for you.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

+1
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm a former MM.  I won't bash the fraternity in general, but my experience was not a good one.  There was a cliquish group headed up by the Secretary and things were ran poorly.  I talked with a life long friend that was a MM for many years, worked the chairs and held most (if not all positions) and he suggested going to another Lodge. He even went as far a s offering to drive 30 miles to pick me up to go to his Lodge.  But, it was too late for me.  I'm thinking about finding a new Lodge and try to Petition again, but I don't know.  It started kind of early in my effort to be raised.  I got screech-bitched at by one of the clique-bags because I was not wearing my apron during my EA.  Meanwhile the clique-bags were in the room with me playing ass-grab games.  I toughed it out and went on and almost at each turn it was not a positive experience.  

On another note, there was a bunch of guys I met that were outstanding men.  I should have jumped ship after my MM.  Two of my mentors,  one vouched for me,  were great guys. I feel like I let them down.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I'm a former MM.  I won't bash the fraternity in general, but my experience was not a good one.  There was a cliquish group headed up by the Secretary and things were ran poorly.  I talked with a life long friend that was a MM for many years, worked the chairs and held most (if not all positions) and he suggested going to another Lodge. He even went as far a s offering to drive 30 miles to pick me up to go to his Lodge.  But, it was too late for me.  I'm thinking about finding a new Lodge and try to Petition again, but I don't know.  It started kind of early in my effort to be raised.  I got screech-bitched at by one of the clique-bags because I was not wearing my apron during my EA.  Meanwhile the clique-bags were in the room with me playing ass-grab games.  I toughed it out and went on and almost at each turn it was not a positive experience.  

On another note, there was a bunch of guys I met that were outstanding men.  I should have jumped ship after my MM.  Two of my mentors,  one vouched for me,  were great guys. I feel like I let them down.
View Quote

Sorry to hear of the experience.

If you were raised to the sublime degree of a MM, then left and didn't pay your dues then you just need to get in touch with your secretary and get reinstated. Then you can transfer to another lodge.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 8:55:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top