Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By IronMedic:

Arizona Lodge Locator
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GEEKAY79:
Been trying to join forever, havent been in a place for more than 6 months till recently. Can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction. :)

Arizona Lodge Locator

Is there one for Texas?
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 10:44:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#3]
Originally Posted By PSI:

I believe this is very key point that shows that Freemasonry is not a religion.  Where religious doctrines teach of the will of G-d, Freemasonry makes no distinction.  Our reference to G-d is displayed in the universality of a one, omnipotent Creator of all, who is owed reverence by his creations.  It is up to the man how to worship Him.
View Quote

So in other words, intelligent design.  I can subscribe to that.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 1:57:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#4]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:

Sure is:  http://www.grandlodgeoftexas.org/lodgelocator
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By medicmandan:
Originally Posted By _DR:
Originally Posted By GEEKAY79:
Been trying to join forever, havent been in a place for more than 6 months till recently. Can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction. :)

Arizona Lodge Locator

Is there one for Texas?

Sure is:  http://www.grandlodgeoftexas.org/lodgelocator

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/27/2017 11:02:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Good info here. I have been considering this lately, as not many of my friends and co-workers have much in common with me. We don't share the same politics, and their are very few people I know that enjoy the same hobbies as I do. I have had the same friends for decades, and we are very close, its just we don't have much in common.

My biggest peeve is with their spiritual beliefs, and their attitude of it being a matter of convenience.

I can't find anyone interested in serious commitments to self-improvement, and I have started to give up on relationships because of it.

I'm pretty tired of it, and have stagnated in activity because of it.

I just need something new. I meet hundreds of new people a year, but its mostly because of work. I have developed great relationships, but since it is mostly work-related these relationships that I have cultivated will simply disappear if I change employment unless I start my own business.

I am looking to meet people that will keep me motivated and interested outside of a work-type of relationship.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 11:06:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ZedsDeadBaby:
Good info here. I have been considering this lately, as not many of my friends and co-workers have much in common with me. We don't share the same politics, and their are very few people I know that enjoy the same hobbies as I do. I have had the same friends for decades, and we are very close, its just we don't have much in common.

My biggest peeve is with their spiritual beliefs, and their attitude of it being a matter of convenience.

I can't find anyone interested in serious commitments to self-improvement, and I have started to give up on relationships because of it.

I'm pretty tired of it, and have stagnated in activity because of it.

I just need something new. I meet hundreds of new people a year, but its mostly because of work. I have developed great relationships, but since it is mostly work-related these relationships that I have cultivated will simply disappear if I change employment unless I start my own business.

I am looking to meet people that will keep me motivated and interested outside of a work-type of relationship.
View Quote
start here https://glmd.org/public_lodges/inquiry and here, http://mdmasons.org/
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
start here https://glmd.org/public_lodges/inquiry and here, http://mdmasons.org/
View Quote
Thank you!

I just submit an inquiry about joining to the local lodge.

I'm a little nervous about it, and I don't know why!
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 11:36:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:

i agree. it cheats the men coming in and it seriously cheapens the meaning of MM and hurts the fraternity in the long run. we are becoming more like the civitan club with funny rituals than what we are supposed to be.
View Quote
I am looking into this journey as well.  I have a MM friend who was at the house the other night, and was very excited about my interest.

He expressed that "the Order has changed a little with the times, as the times require.  Membership has been dropping, as society is more and more burdened with activities in their lives.  Due to this, the requirements have changed."  Without remembering the verbage, he conveyed that oaths/chants/items that used to require memorization-by-rote is no longer required.  For him, in his lodge (which is not local to me), it was allowed to 'repeat after me'.  He stated that one could go from initial contact to MM in 3-4 months, if one chooses.  He said that used to take between 1 and 2 years.  He's also a Shriner, if that adds any color.  I believe he has been involved in the order for approximately 2 years.  "Aside from my relationship with God, and my wife and kids, it's the best thing I've ever done in my life."
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:41:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: motoguy] [#10]
Your response makes sense.  To be a 3d level MM, I was a bit surprised at the things he was unable to answer/remember.  The names of the chairs/positions (7 chairs, guard/Tiler, etc), admitting he was "unable" to (I forget the exact verbiage, so I'll call it) "share my proficiencies", which I took as "recite something that should be able to be recited", etc.  He stated there was a small bit of animosity amongst the long-time members, who had to put more effort into attaining their degree, and those (like my friend) that seemed to get it via the fast-track.

I'm not in it for the social recognition or as a status symbol.  I would like to reap the benefits of personal growth/advancement, and giving back to the community.  It seems to VERY closely parallel the path I'm trying to take with God, and the changes I'm trying to make as a person (based on being the person God wants me to be).
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:23:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By motoguy:
admitting he was "unable" to (I forget the exact verbiage, so I'll call it) "share my proficiencies", which I took as "recite something that should be able to be recited", etc.
View Quote
He cant share with you. I'm sure he knows what he need to know.

What state do you live in?
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 1:30:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MT_Mauser] [#13]
I have been thinking about Masonry often.

I think I am a good man, but I know I could be a better man. I say this at 30 with my first on the way.

I have a very busy life, I work a full time job and ranch on the side.  Can I be a Mason?
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MT_Mauser:
I have been thinking about Masonry often.

I think I am a good man, but I know I could be a better man. I say this at 30 with my first on the way.

I have a very busy life, I work a full time job and ranch on the side.  Can I be a Mason?
View Quote
Like T_B_S said, of course you can. I too lead a very busy life, it took me about 6 or 7 months from being initiated to being raised. Take the time you need to learn every aspect of what you're being taught in the degree work. Depending on your jurisdiction, you may get a cypher with the degree work, or it might only be taught mouth to ear. In Washington, our standard work is provided in book form, with much of it written in cypher. We're taught how to read it, so we can work on the memorization with and without a coach.
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 9:11:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/28/2019 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MT_Mauser:
Can I be a Mason?
View Quote
Do you believe in a Supreme Being?  If so, the answer's yes.
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 8:34:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Brother The_Beer_Slayer,

Your recent posts in this thread are pretty much perfect for those considering becoming a Freemason.

Life has become hectic for me, and my time for attending lodge is almost none. Your comments were a reminder to me that the quality of time spent is more rewarding than the amount of time spent.

Thank you
Link Posted: 6/29/2019 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By tightlines49:
Brother The_Beer_Slayer,

Your recent posts in this thread are pretty much perfect for those considering becoming a Freemason.

Life has become hectic for me, and my time for attending lodge is almost none. Your comments were a reminder to me that the quality of time spent is more rewarding than the amount of time spent.

Thank you
View Quote
He is definitely an asset to this sub forum and the forum as a whole.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 7:12:52 PM EDT
[#20]
This Friday, I have my first meeting, I guess it is the Investigative Committee meeting.

If that goes well... the journey begins.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Good luck!  I am sure that we would be proud to welcome you.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By OAK667:
This Friday, I have my first meeting, I guess it is the Investigative Committee meeting.

View Quote
I'm assuming it's in your home that's the way it's done here ...anyway be yourself.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 12:57:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OAK667] [#23]

I'm assuming it's in your home that's the way it's done here ...anyway be yourself.
View Quote
It's at the lodge. It's almost a 30-40 minute drive from the lodge to my house... little nervous not sure why. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 1:36:16 AM EDT
[#24]
It's at the lodge. It's almost a 30-40 minute drive from the lodge to my house... little nervous not sure why. Thanks!
View All Quotes

I do a lot of the investigations and I always meet with the candidate in their house, no matter how far away it is but anyway if that's the way they are doing it there then that's the way they do it...

Don't be nervous. just show up
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote
@OAK667

What part of Indiana?
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 1:46:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RogueShot12er] [#26]

I do a lot of the investigations and I always meet with the candidate in their house, no matter how far away it is but anyway if that's the way they are doing it there then that's the way they do it...

View Quote
We typically meet at lodge or a restaurant in my area.

A lot of the time we invite the petitioner to the pre meeting meal to meet everyone.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Garyindiane:

@OAK667

What part of Indiana?
View Quote
South Western Indiana, about 2 hours North of Owensboro KY.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#29]

South Western Indiana, about 2 hours North of Owensboro KY.
View Quote
Got you. Unfortunately, I am on the very south east side of the state.

Best of luck!
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 3:36:38 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

We always try to interview a Petitioner at their home.  They're usually more comfortable.  Plus, it's really nice if their wife can be there so she can ask questions.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#31]
We always try to interview a Petitioner at their home.  They're usually more comfortable.  Plus, it's really nice if their wife can be there so she can ask questions.
View All Quotes

Yeah there's other reasons to you get a better feel for what kind of man he is.

Like  keep a nice home...doesn't have to be a mansion but if you walk into a guy's place and it's a dump and his wife has bruises and he has bottles of Jack Daniels everywhere he's probably not a good candidate.

That happened last year, apparently his recommender had no idea.

I believe in helping people and I believe in the old make a good man better theory,  however we're not rehab..

We would have never known if we met him at lodge.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 6:29:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Best of luck!
View All Quotes

Best of luck!
Thank you!

Like  keep a nice home...doesn't have to be a mansion but if you walk into a guy's place and it's a dump and his wife has bruises and he has bottles of Jack Daniels everywhere he's probably not a good candidate.

I believe in helping people and I believe in the old make a good man better theory,  however we're not rehab..

I wouldn't have a problem with that, my wife would fret, thinking it's a white glove inspection or something.
Link Posted: 7/11/2019 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
👍
Link Posted: 7/20/2019 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#34]

👍
View Quote
Holy moley! we got a like button? Pardon me, Been a busy summer and I haven't been on in a while.
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 10:05:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PSI] [#35]
Originally Posted By Woodsrider:

Holy moley! we got a like button? Pardon me, Been a busy summer and I haven't been on in a while.
View Quote
Apparently the emojis on my phone will post.  🤙
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Me too.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#37]
I have my first initial meeting this Saturday, I’m very excited.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By 13FoxVet:
I have my first initial meeting this Saturday, I’m very excited.
View Quote
Good luck my friend. Feel free to ask any questions we have some very knowledgeable Masons here.
Link Posted: 9/24/2019 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Good luck my friend. Feel free to ask any questions we have some very knowledgeable Masons here.
View Quote
Thanks, I’ve been reading the sub forum and a few questions I’ve had, have been answered.

I’ve a ton of questions, thankfully the Mason I have been speaking with has been more than helpful. I’m sure I will have a lot more questions to ask here after Saturday.

Thanks again for the welcome.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
I’m Cautious.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#41]
I’m Cautious.
View All Quotes

I’m Cautious.

@13FoxVet
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#42]

@13FoxVet
View All Quotes

I'm Cautious.

@13FoxVet
I bet that was auto correct.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 6:49:09 PM EDT
[#43]

I bet that was auto correct.
View Quote
Happens to me all of the time. Especially on my new phone. Lol
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#44]

View Quote
Sorry lol.

Hopefully I will be raised this Saturday.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Sorry lol.

View All Quotes

Sorry lol.

you wont be raised this Saturday.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote
I’m confused, maybe I can seek clarity in DM or via phone call.

Or should seek clarity here?
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#47]
View Quote
Your inbox is full.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 7:58:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OverScoped] [#48]
Your inbox is full.
View All Quotes
Your inbox is full.
Yes I know.

You can talk here.
You are having your first initial meeting correct?  You have never met with anyone from the lodge before, correct?

The Raising is later....  You need to be voted in first.
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 8:05:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 13FoxVet] [#49]
dupe
Link Posted: 10/20/2019 8:06:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 13FoxVet] [#50]
Dupe
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top