Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Clack:
I have been interested in becoming a Mason for a long time. Currently I am planning to relocate in 6 months to a year. Would I be better off waiting until I relocate to Florida, or would I still benefit by doing a petition here in SC?
View Quote

Yes.  Unless you want to pay two sets of dues or be dropped from a Lodge for non payment.  Just wait.  What part of FL?  If you are moving to S. Florida, hit me up on IM and I will help you out.  If anywhere else, check the Grand Lodge Website or call Grand Lodge and ask for Richard Lynn, he is the Grand Secretary and will direct you to a Lodge in the area you are moving to.

Link Posted: 9/13/2013 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By BrowardMason:

Yes.  Unless you want to pay two sets of dues or be dropped from a Lodge for non payment.  Just wait.  What part of FL?  If you are moving to S. Florida, hit me up on IM and I will help you out.  If anywhere else, check the Grand Lodge Website or call Grand Lodge and ask for Richard Lynn, he is the Grand Secretary and will direct you to a Lodge in the area you are moving to.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BrowardMason:
Originally Posted By Clack:
I have been interested in becoming a Mason for a long time. Currently I am planning to relocate in 6 months to a year. Would I be better off waiting until I relocate to Florida, or would I still benefit by doing a petition here in SC?

PM sent. Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/23/2013 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I proved up on my FC last week at lodge. Now trying to get my 3rd scheduled. Looking at the emails from our secretary, it seems that there were a lot of FCM's proving up this month when the lodges all met after summer break, as everyone is looking for help getting enough people to help give the 3rd degree at their lodge.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I am a Master Mason El Paso Lodge #13 A.F.&A.M. in Colorado Springs Colorado you can find information at this link:  https://www.facebook.com/2B1ASK1.Colorado13?ref=hl

If you are visiting Colroado Springs or are being stationed here feel free to contact us.  Our Lodge is has many Active, Reserve/Gauard and Retired Military Brothers.  We are here as well to answer any questions you may have about coming ito masonry.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's one I haven't seen yet: Is a 4 year college degree a requirement?

My wife was maried briefly (to an epic turd, to put it politely) before we met. The father was a Mason, and the son (her ex) wanted to be a Mason. Apparently, in that group, you would not even be considered without a 4 year degree. Father wanted son to go to Germany (father was german) for 4 years to get a degree, so he could then become a Mason. And the wife (now my wife) was simply expected to put her life on hold for 4 years. This was in the Fort Collins, CO area.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 6:42:37 PM EDT
[#8]
As I suspected The Grand Lodge of Colorado does not require a four year degree to become a Mason.
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Her response: It may not be official, but they would not consider you without it.

Matters not, I was just curious. She always had mentioned this in the past, and I was curious if this was really the case.
Link Posted: 11/10/2013 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the post guys, I've contacted my local lodge and have a tour on Sunday evening. I'm really looking forward to it. My late grandfather was a mason and I've always been intrigued by masonic history. My wife thought I was joining a cult until I explained it to her and made her read about it, now she loves the idea! haha

I'll let you know how it goes. The lodge website looks like they are pretty active and they meet once a week (lodge link)
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 8:58:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:

good luck and keep us posted... Greatest fraternity on the planet
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:
Thanks for the post guys, I've contacted my local lodge and have a tour on Sunday evening. I'm really looking forward to it. My late grandfather was a mason and I've always been intrigued by masonic history. My wife thought I was joining a cult until I explained it to her and made her read about it, now she loves the idea! haha

I'll let you know how it goes. The lodge website looks like they are pretty active and they meet once a week (lodge link)

good luck and keep us posted... Greatest fraternity on the planet

Thought I would update with my experience visiting the lodge. 1) The guy doing the tour was very very friendly and informative. He made me feel like I was already part of the lodge. 2) They seem very active and actually have quite a few other organizations that share the lodge on various days of the week to help with the costs (Baltimore area, very expensive living). 3) I was a little taken back by the up front cost. The petition fee is $240 and you have to pay $75/yr due when you get your master mason (he estimated 3 months).

Don't go casting stones, I don't think $240 is too unreasonable. But my wife was not thrilled about that up-front cost before I even know the first person or do the first thing in the fraternity. I have to admit, I would do things a little differently (maybe have the $240 due after first degree is met then $75/yr due after 3rd degree is met).

Regardless, I am still very interested in joining but will probably have to wait until the new year to get things rolling. The guy said it was a pretty young crew and said I would "fit in great" for what that's worth. I also like that they occasionally have family friendly events so my wife is able to meet the people I'll be associating with.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the professionalism I was shown and can't wait to submit my petition in the near future!
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Most of that $240 probably covers stuff for your three degrees.  $75 is very reasonable for annual dues.  All three of your degrees will cost the lodge money.  You will be given some items that come out of the Lodges budget and most likely they will serve a meal either immediately before or after the degree.  In southern Alabama I paid $150 when I submitted my petition and $50 a year for dues, and the cost of living is SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper in AL.  In other words fees sound about right.
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/18/2013 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm being raised this Saturday, and I still don't know what my tab is going to be I haven't spent a dollar yet. But I haven't asked either.
I looked at the Dues and initiation fees on the GLOW website, but that was 8 months or so ago.
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Odd.
Nobody said anything last night at Lodge. Just a lot of "Are you ready for Saturday?" and Goat jokes. Lots of goat jokes.  

Like a said, I looked at the fees and dues on the states Grand Lodge Website months ago when I petitioned, and I was ready to write a check then.
I was told that everything is covered by the lodge until you are raised. Then you are responsible for monthly dues, and I think I remember a petition fee or something. I set aside a few hundered bucks then, to pay for everything, and haven't brought it up since. I assume there are differences between the lodges. Our lodge is on very sound financial footing, maybe thats why they dont charge candidates for the degrees.

Link Posted: 11/20/2013 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's a video from the Wisconsin Grand Lodge's website.  "Mason Mike" is the Senior Warden of my Lodge.

How to Join - Grand Lodge Free and Accepted Masons of Wisconsin
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:16:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: soldierman79] [#21]
I appreciate the info here. I visited a local lodge here last week and spoke with some of the gentlemen there. It sounds like something I'm very interested in. I was given a petition and filled it out except for the part asking for references from the Masons that I might know....except I don't know any Masons. I have asked family members, friends, work acquaintances...no one is a Mason. I went back to the lodge and was told to keep trying. I will, but it's beginning to look as though it's an exercise in futility.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated gentlemen.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By soldierman79:

I appreciate the info here. I visited a local lodge here last week and spoke with some of the gentlemen there. It sounds like something I'm very interested in. I was given a petition and filled it out except for the part asking for references from the Masons that I might know....except I don't know any Masons. I have asked family members, friends, work acquaintances...no one is a Mason. I went back to the lodge and was told to keep trying. I will, but it's beginning to look as though it's an exercise in futility.

View Quote

Follow these directions.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:10:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: soldierman79] [#24]
Originally Posted By medicmandan:

Sounds like you have already met some masons.  Keep visiting them and before too long they will know you well enough to sign your petition.
View All Quotes

Sounds like you have already met some masons.  Keep visiting them and before too long they will know you well enough to sign your petition.

I can do that, but the WM made it pretty clear that they aren't going to sponsor me until I get those references. I'll keep looking though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:12:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: soldierman79] [#25]
Originally Posted By OverScoped:
Follow these directions.

http://www.grandlodgeoftexas.org/content/process-petitioning

View All Quotes

Follow these directions.

Yep, that's the website that I used to find the lodge. I'm still stuck at the 'References' portion of the petition due to not knowing any Masons.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Yep, that's the website that I used to find the lodge. I'm still stuck at the 'References' portion of the petition due to not knowing any Masons.
View All Quotes

Follow these directions.

OK great. I just wanted you to have all the info you need.

Find out when the next meeting is. Go there about 45 minutes before in a suit or whatever attire is suitable and introduce yourself  to some Brothers.  They might invite you to stay for dinner.  Let em know you are still interested and that you need some signatures. They will want you to join I'm sure.  In Masonry everyone has been on the same path as you are.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Find out when the next meeting is. Go there about 45 minutes before in a suit or whatever attire is suitable and introduce yourself  to some Brothers.  They might invite you to stay for dinner.  Let em know you are still interested and that you need some signatures. They will want you to join I'm sure.  In Masonry everyone has been on the same path as you are.

View Quote

That sounds like a plan. I'll keep at it. I was just surprised that no one I know/knew is a Mason. Guess I'm hanging out in the wrong group of folks.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:58:57 PM EDT
[#29]
My fil is a mason/shriner. Are there asian shriners? Lol. Im saved and a christian. I believe in morality and doing right. I enjoy doing charity stuff. Just never seen any asians lol..
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 4:37:37 AM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By thisisdudewhoru:

My fil is a mason/shriner. Are there asian shriners? Lol. Im saved and a christian. I believe in morality and doing right. I enjoy doing charity stuff. Just never seen any asians lol..
View Quote
Absolutely

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:07:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:08:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 1:23:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SGStiles] [#33]
So I really want to become a Freemason but please explain and clear this up for me.

Masons worship a god which they call the Great Architect of the Universe.  The symbol they have chosen to represent their god is the All Seeing Eye, which the Egyptians used to represent their pagan god, Osiris. Since Freemasonry teaches a false plan of salvation, Masons are not following in the teachings of Jesus Christ.  2 John 1:9 allows us to know that since they are not following in the teachings of Jesus, they do not have God.  Freemasonry is classic paganism.  1 Corinthians 10:20-21 allows us to know that the sacrifices of pagans are offered to demons, rather than God.

Now that's a common argument I find against Freemasons but I'd like to believe that it's just a stretch come up by someone and therefore a load of crap. I know Freemasons are supposed to let you worship any one supreme god you wish (Mine being Christian God).

ETA: I know that may sound stupid that I posted this as a concern in the first place but it is a legitimate worry. I just wish to have it cleared up so I can become one without some looming guilt.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 4:57:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Your third paragraph is correct.
Your God is your choice.

BTW, we don't worship anything in lodge.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 6:55:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By SGStiles:
So I really want to become a Freemason but please explain and clear this up for me.

Masons worship a god which they call the Great Architect of the Universe.  The symbol they have chosen to represent their god is the All Seeing Eye, which the Egyptians used to represent their pagan god, Osiris. Since Freemasonry teaches a false plan of salvation, Masons are not following in the teachings of Jesus Christ.  2 John 1:9 allows us to know that since they are not following in the teachings of Jesus, they do not have God.  Freemasonry is classic paganism.  1 Corinthians 10:20-21 allows us to know that the sacrifices of pagans are offered to demons, rather than God.

Now that's a common argument I find against Freemasons but I'd like to believe that it's just a stretch come up by someone and therefore a load of crap. I know Freemasons are supposed to let you worship any one supreme god you wish (Mine being Christian God).

ETA: I know that may sound stupid that I posted this as a concern in the first place but it is a legitimate worry. I just wish to have it cleared up so I can become one without some looming guilt.
View Quote

I too struggled with the very same issue before becoming a Freemason.  I have since attended every stated meeting and degree since.  Pretty much if the doors are open I am there.  There has never been a single thing mentioned or done that conflicted with my belief in God.  In fact quite the opposite.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 7:50:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:15:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SGStiles] [#37]

freemasonry is not paganism nor any other religion.  We require a member to believe in a deity as we recognize the importance of faith and our obligations would be meaningless if given to an atheist.

Masonry does not and should not promote any specific religion. That is left to the individual. A mason is simply told to follow the tenants of HIS religion. Masonry does not claim to know the nature of God, does not promote a particular god nor religion. Masonry is about finding a the common good in man and promoting universal brotherhood and love for all mankind. Your religion and your faith get you heaven, not the lodge.

As masons we understand there are things which are sacred to some men. Religion is one of them. You will not change a mans mind on his faith and attempting to do so is considered rude and un-masonic. This is specifically why anything done with a "religious" tone is to be as generic as possible in the lodge. It's to prevent any man from becoming offended or uncomfortable.  it really is as simple as that.

As masons we really do not care what or who an individual believes in. Simply that he has faith in a higher power that he will be required to answer to. YOUR faith is not my concern.  As a mason i can't ask and frankly shouldn't care. YOUR relationship with whatever you call god is between you and him.

We hold generic prayers before and after lodge and many times they are done in the name of the "great architect of the universe". As i said above that is simply a generic name that is defined by the individual man, not masonry.

Frankly the anti-masonic stupidity is written by people with ZERO understanding of masonry, it's history and philosophy.
View Quote

Thank you. Again I'm very sorry for having asked that.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Don't be sorry for asking.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:46:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SGStiles] [#39]
View Quote

So do you know where any good lodges are around the area from Punxsutawney to Pittsburgh?
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#40]

Masons do not worship a god call GAOTU.... that is simply a generic term given to deity. it allows the individual to participate with others of different faiths and still retain "their" god. For me it is the christian god, for a muslim brother allah.... etc.

freemasonry is not paganism nor any other religion.  We require a member to believe in a deity as we recognize the importance of faith and our obligations would be meaningless if given to an atheist.

Masonry does not and should not promote any specific religion. That is left to the individual. A mason is simply told to follow the tenants of HIS religion. Masonry does not claim to know the nature of God, does not promote a particular god nor religion. Masonry is about finding a the common good in man and promoting universal brotherhood and love for all mankind. Your religion and your faith get you heaven, not the lodge.

As masons we understand there are things which are sacred to some men. Religion is one of them. You will not change a mans mind on his faith and attempting to do so is considered rude and un-masonic. This is specifically why anything done with a "religious" tone is to be as generic as possible in the lodge. It's to prevent any man from becoming offended or uncomfortable.  it really is as simple as that.

As masons we really do not care what or who an individual believes in. Simply that he has faith in a higher power that he will be required to answer to. YOUR faith is not my concern.  As a mason i can't ask and frankly shouldn't care. YOUR relationship with whatever you call god is between you and him.

We hold generic prayers before and after lodge and many times they are done in the name of the "great architect of the universe". As i said above that is simply a generic name that is defind by the individual man, not masonry.

Frankly the anti-masonic stupidity is written by people with ZERO understanding of masonry, it's history and philosophy.
View All Quotes

Masons do not worship a god call GAOTU.... that is simply a generic term given to deity. it allows the individual to participate with others of different faiths and still retain "their" god. For me it is the christian god, for a muslim brother allah.... etc.

We hold generic prayers before and after lodge and many times they are done in the name of the "great architect of the universe". As i said above that is simply a generic name that is defind by the individual man, not masonry.

I believe this is very key point that shows that Freemasonry is not a religion.  Where religious doctrines teach of the will of G-d, Freemasonry makes no distinction.  Our reference to G-d is displayed in the universality of a one, omnipotent Creator of all, who is owed reverence by his creations.  It is up to the man how to worship Him.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#42]

no harm in asking as long as it is a sincere question. many come asking that with the express purpose of trolling. we are always more than happy to answer questions from those with a sincere interest.
View All Quotes

Thank you. Again I'm very sorry for having asked that.

no harm in asking as long as it is a sincere question. many come asking that with the express purpose of trolling. we are always more than happy to answer questions from those with a sincere interest.

I wouldn't troll on this topic purely out of respect. As soon as I can I will try to become a Mason.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 5:43:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OverScoped] [#43]

So do you know where any good lodges are around the area from Punxsutawney to Pittsburgh?
View All Quotes

here is where you start. http://www.bapamason.com/index.html

and here is the Grand Lodge website http://www.pagrandlodge.org/

here you can find the location of lodges. http://lims.pagrandlodge.org/

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#44]

we do not require references to be masons. i suspect if you read that petition it won't mention that either. we simply require names of people we can contact to verify your character. something doesn't smell right here.
View All Quotes

I can do that, but the WM made it pretty clear that they aren't going to sponsor me until I get those references. I'll keep looking though.

That's ridiculous.  We invite non-members to our functions so they have that opportunity to get to know masons who can then sign their petition.

we do not require references to be masons. i suspect if you read that petition it won't mention that either. we simply require names of people we can contact to verify your character. something doesn't smell right here.

Our petition requires references to be Masons.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#46]

all we require is one man in the lodge to vouch for you and sign your petition. the other references don't matter. How exactly could a man petition your lodge if he didn't know any masons?
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By diggerwolf:

Our petition requires references to be Masons.

all we require is one man in the lodge to vouch for you and sign your petition. the other references don't matter. How exactly could a man petition your lodge if he didn't know any masons?
Beer, check out the TX petition. Its ridiculously complex.  http://www.grandlodgeoftexas.org/pdf/forms/26.pdf

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:03:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#48]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top